News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Voice cuts out when people browsing the net

Started by voiphelp, September 08, 2013, 05:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voiphelp

Is there any way to prevent the VOIP quality from going in and out when users are browsing the net? My router doesn't have any QOS features and I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do besides increasing my bandwidth speed?

I have a OBi110 and 5mbps broadband dsl.

Smee

Quote from: voiphelp on September 08, 2013, 05:33:48 PM
Is there any way to prevent the VOIP quality from going in and out when users are browsing the net? My router doesn't have any QOS features and I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do besides increasing my bandwidth speed?

I have a OBi110 and 5mbps broadband dsl.

You can try setting your Obi to Full Duplex instead of half to see if that will help any.  Go here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2438.msg15767#msg15767 for more info.

Smee

Shale

As Smee said, you can set your Obi to Full Duplex.

That will probably not be sufficient. You said people browsing the net during calls. You could get them to stop activity during calls, but even that would not always prevent the computers from doing activity.

You need QOS. There may be free firmware that can be put on your unspecified existing router to give QOS, but then you would still have to set it up.

LeoKing

I used to have AT&T 3Mbps DSL but the actual speed was only 2.45Mbps max according to speedtest.net. I also had same problem like you have now, the voice would cut out when I downloaded large files. I bought the 5-port QoS switch ZyXel GS105S when it was on sale for $18 shipped. It worked extremely well for me and my GV calls through the 2 OBi110's had no more glitches. The GS108S is the same but with 8 ports. Buy.com sometimes has them on sale at much lower prices.

Shale

Quote from: LeoKing on September 09, 2013, 05:42:18 PM. I bought the 5-port QoS switch ZyXel GS105S when it was on sale for $18 shipped. It worked extremely well for me and my GV calls through the 2 OBi110's had no more glitches. The GS108S is the same but with 8 ports. Buy.com sometimes has them on sale at much lower prices.

Nice. It looks like Smee could put that GS105S on his modem, and feed the OBi with the highest priority port. The existing router could be fed by a lower priority port.

Smee

Quote from: Shale on September 09, 2013, 06:43:38 PM

Nice. It looks like Smee could put that GS105S on his modem, and feed the OBi with the highest priority port. The existing router could be fed by a lower priority port.

Not me, I already have QoS on my network.  I have a Linksys which some one tossed in the trash and I salvaged.  A new power adapter and an install of DD-WRT on it and the darn thing doesn't miss a beat/packet.  ;D 

Smee