News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help in setting up my Sipgate.co.uk account with Obi110

Started by Purclewan, September 13, 2013, 09:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purclewan

Hi, I have a Obi 100 and a Obi 101 that I am trying to set up in the UK.  It has been a steep learning curve but these forums have helped tremendously.  However, despite a search through the forums and Google I can't find any help with the problems I am experiencing setting up my Sipgate.co.uk accounts.  

I have a registered and functioning account with Sipgate, so it looked simple enough but despite all my efforts I cannot get either of my devices to register with Sipgate.co.uk.  I just keep getting the same error message "Register Failed: 403 Forbidden".  

Can anybody help and walk me through it?  

I have set both devices to the relevant UK standards using information from this forum and can make and receive calls from my mobile using my Android phone and OBItalk.

Many thanks in advance.

Purclewan.

Lavarock7

FYI, In The U.S. Sipgate is shutting down in OCtober. I assume they will continue overseas.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

drgeoff

I've never heard of an OBi101  :) but I do have an OBi110 registered with sipgate.co.uk.  There are several tweaks to optimise the OBi for use in the UK but  none are essential to get it registered except the following.  (Means anything not mentioned below can be left at default for now.)

1.  Service Providers/ITSP Profile A/SIP/Proxy Server --> sipgate.co.uk
2.  Voice Services/SP1 Service/AuthUserName --> your 7 digit SIP ID (usually the last 7 digits of the  STD number you chose when signing up).
3.  Voice Services/SP1 Service/AuthPassword --> the password sipgate gave you for this ID.  (Not the password you use on sipgate's web site to log into your account.)

Hit the Submit button after 1 and 3 above, then reboot and Status/System Status/SP1 Service Status should be showing something like "Registered (server=217.10.79.23:5060; expire in 52s)".

ianobi

My settings are much the same as drgeoff. I note that my seven-digit AuthUserName bears no relationship with my STD number. Anyhow the account works very reliably and is good value for landline calls. I chose voipcheap for OBi to mobile calls.

Once you have it working, there's some useful info here about emergency numbers and dial plans etc:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5362.msg34764#msg34764

The emergency numbers only apply if you actually live in the UK.

Purclewan

Thanks guys, sorry for the confusion with my device name, that's my dyslexia kicking in.  It should of course been Obi110.  Anyway, the clues from drgeoff's email were "submit" and "reboot".  I had been using the web based OBi dashboard  to set up my accounts.

It had worked fine for my Google Voice account and I had no reason to suspect it would not work with my UK Sipgate account.

Wrong! 

Logging in to the Obi box via its IP address showed that the values I was entering/submiting via the dashboard were not being recorded or accepted.  Once I typed them directly into SP1 Service/SIP Credentials and hit submit/reboot my Sipgate account was recognised immediately.

To ianobi, I have used Viopcheap with a web based application in the distant past when I was based overseas and was generally happy with them.  Is your experience of using them with your Obi good?  Any settings you recommend if I set them up on my Obi110.

Thanks a lot.

Purclewan.

ianobi

Yes, I find Voipcheap are reliable and call quality seems good. They charge around 3p per minute for calls to UK mobiles compared with around 10p per minute using sipgate.

Voipcheap do not require registration, so you do not need to use an spX for them Instead use a Voice Gateway. Bit of a learning curve – start here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.msg3124#msg3124

I don't know how you wish to use your OBi – do you have a PSTN line etc? I'm assuming that you live in the UK and that sipgate is on sp1. Here's a suggested config with Voipcheap added as Voice Gateway 3.  It may need some fine tuning:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: SP1 Service
Voice Service > Auto Attendant > PrimaryLine: SP1 Service

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|999|112|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Mvg3)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|999|112):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Mvg3)):vg3},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General > DigitMap:
(<**3>07xxxxxxxxx|0[123]xxxxxxxxx|0[4568]xx.|1xxxx|1xxxxxx|00xx.)

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > DigitMap:
([2-9]xxxxxxS0|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|xx.)

Voice Services > Gateways and Trunk Groups > Voice Gateway3 >
Name: voipcheap
Access Number: sp1(sip.voipcheap.co.uk)
DigitMap: (<0:0044>[123]xxxxxxxxx|<0:0044>7[1-9]xxxxxxxx|0044[1237]xxxxxxxxx|00xx.)
AuthUserID: set in voipcheap web site.
AuthPassword: set in voipcheap web site.

Using this config when you dial an eleven-digit number starting 07 (UK mobile phones), the call will automatically divert to vg3. The vg3 DigitMap will remove the leading "0" and replace it with "0044". This is the international format that voipcheap requires. This should all be seamless to the user who dials 07xxxxxxxxx from the OBi phone.

For once, I can say for sure that this works – it's how part of my own setup is configured   :)

Purclewan

Thanks Ianobi,

Appreciate your input.

I am just starting out with Obi and in truth I suspect like many experimenting, fiddling and generally trying to see what I can do with these devices.  I started training as a Telephone Exchange Engineer with the Old Post office but left to join the Army just as the first TX (Electronic) exchanges were being installed and then went on to study Satellite systems followed by computing.

At 63, I am still trying to keep up with the latest technology but if I'm honest, it's beginning to leave me behind.

Anyway, to the subject in hand.

I have two Obi devices, one, the Obi110 I am installing at my house in the UK and the second potentially in my daughters house in Germany.

The Obi110 is presently plugged into my BT line and my Draytek ADSL/Router with a DEC base station plugged into the phone port.  I addition I also have a fixed phone plugged into the BT Line (not sure if I need this but the wife likes everything to work immediately and does not trust my experimenting.  I also have various Android Smartphones, tablets and computers running ObiTalk.  The Android mini computers are connected to my TV's and give them a degree of "SMART" including I hope the ability to take and make telephon calls and Video conferencing  .

Given that I have family around Europe and that my wife travels to Germany often I wanted to try and set up something that allows us to stay in touch via a simple to use phone system that has the flexibility to connect land lines, mobiles and smart devices at low cost and would allow my wife and I to call friends back in the UK via our existing UK numbers when traveling overseas.  At some stage I would also like to connect my Electric Gate entry phone into the system so visitors could reach me even if I am not at home.

Finally, at a later stage, I would like also to set up a Linux box with Astrix.

At this point, you probably think I am crazy (probably am) but playing, experimenting and learning new systems is what keeps my brain from atrophying and anyway I enjoy steep learning curves.

I always enjoy sharing what I learn but equally am happy to learn from others.

I will play with Voicheap and see how I get on.  If you have any pointers or advice, I would be happy to take it.

Kind regards to all that helped me so far.

Purclewan

ianobi

QuoteI started training as a Telephone Exchange Engineer with the Old Post office

Me too! I moved onto railway telecoms, which had some interesting challenges. Although I ended up in management and working for various of the privatised companies, I never lost my interest in practical telecom engineering. I'm not far behind you in years.

QuoteI have two Obi devices, one, the Obi110 I am installing at my house in the UK and the second potentially in my daughters house in Germany.

OBi to OBi calls - real simple and free. All the technology you mention can be connected via the OBi devices. Their main strength is bridging calls between different services. Even door entry phones have appeared in this forum a few times.

The idea of becoming proficient at DigitMaps etc is to make dialling seamless for the user. In my Voipcheap example a user dials a mobile phone number as normal and the digitmaps etc route it seamlessly to voipcheap. Other numbers to sipgate.

It's quite a learning curve, but I think that you will enjoy the challenge. Feel free to post questions - it's a pleasant change for me to get some UK questions   :)

drgeoff

At the risk of turning this thread into a PO old-timers reunion party, I'll mention that that organisation and it successor kept me in gainful employment for my entire working career.  I never had much to do with ordinary telephones though.  Even long before I started in 1971, the PO had done ground breaking work in visual telecoms.  Not many people know that the digital video revolution is based on technical work that was pioneered by the labs of the world's major telcos before they were subjected to death by a thousand cuts sooner or later after losing their monopoly positions.