News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 setup to call Obi100 in the US from Australia for free

Started by beachful, September 16, 2013, 05:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beachful

Hello,

I am using an Obi100 with GV as SP1 and Anveo for e911 as SP2. I have a relative in Australia to and from whom I like to make and receive calls for free.

To do so, I've read I need to buy another Obi100, obtain a new GV number, activate a new ObiTalk account, set it up with GV as SP1 (to tie the adapter to a US IP address), and send it to my relative in Australia for her use to make and receive calls from me for free. Is that all I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Shale

Yes.

You could even call OBi to OBi without involving GV. What you describe allows more flexibility.

beachful

Quote from: Shale on September 16, 2013, 05:17:19 PM
Yes.

You could even call OBi to OBi without involving GV. What you describe allows more flexibility.

Thanks, Shale, for the timely reply and the reminder about OBi-to-OBi option since I can cancel the GV account for the OBi100 in Australia if or when Google starts charging for the service.

I have another question. Can I call the OBi100 in Australia and use the Auto Attendant to dial local numbers there for free?

dircom

no, you would need an Obi 110, which has a a phone port and a line port
and if you want to let the person down under to be able to dial out of your Obi, you would also need an Obi 110
(or a 200 or 202) used in conjunction with a OBiLINE

beachful

Quote from: dircom on September 17, 2013, 09:35:10 AM
no, you would need an Obi 110, which has a a phone port and a line port
and if you want to let the person down under to be able to dial out of your Obi, you would also need an Obi 110
(or a 200 or 202) used in conjunction with a OBiLINE

Thanks, dircom, for your prompt reply. I like to elaborate my scenario further. My relative in Australia does not mind using a separate phone (other than her existing phone) to receive or make calls from and to me in the US.

To call her, I have two options OBi-to-OBi or GV to GV. If I choose the former, I like to know if I can ask the Auto Attendant (AA) to connect me to any local numbers in Australia. Your answer suggests that it's not possible since AA needs to use the line port of the OBi110 (in which her existing phone line plugs) and uses her existing phone line to connect me to local numbers for free. Is my understanding correct? If so, I think it's worth the extra cost to buy and send her an OBi110.

Shale

Quote from: beachful on September 17, 2013, 08:55:53 AM
I have another question. Can I call the OBi100 in Australia and use the Auto Attendant to dial local numbers there for free?
Dircom was thinking that you wanted to call out on the PSTN to get those free AU calls.

If your relative in Australia signs up for an unlimited SIP to Australia plan, they you could get those free calls via the OBis. You could alternatively call a wire phone in Australia for about US$0.02 per minute via GV, and that might be about the same as a person in Australia could call locally with a SIP provider.

Rates vary. Here are Anveo's outgoing rates: http://anveo.com/consumer/rates.asp Note that the prices of calls you dial are only a function of where the call is received and are not a function of where the caller is.