News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

VOIP phone numbers: listed or unlisted?

Started by Lafong, September 24, 2013, 09:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lafong

This is my first post on these forums and I hope I have chosen the right forum.

I'm computer literate, but very weak on telephony.

I am contemplating getting an OBI 202, but have questions related to the phone number I get from the provider---maybe Google Voice, maybe Callcentric.

Is this number listed or unlisted in the normal sense of the word, as a land line number might be? Do I have a choice? Is there anything similar to a nation-wide directory like "411" that includes all "listed" numbers? For all I know, any VOIP number is available from 411.

Secondly: Am I correct that this number is by definition a "DID" number and that there is no choice about that?

Lastly: if I live in Montana and am there most of the time, is there any reason I can't get a phone number from Texas, Delaware, or any other state? I assume the drawback would be that local Montana people might have to pay more to call my Delaware number than if it was local. Any other reasons?

Thanks and I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

CoalMinerRetired

In general your number will be mostly unlisted. And IMO most people want it that way (but most businesses do not want it that way).  Your number will not, for example, appear in any 'white pages' telephone book, unless you take some action to make it appear.  If anything it might appear in the providers phone directory, or worse the provider might give (i.e. sell for profit) your number to various '411' services, which if you read the fine print probably makes you a have a 'business relationship' with anyone who purchases the 411 lists and therefore prone to legally getting telemarketing phone calls. It's a shady business. Search on here for 411 if you want more info, and for some insights on the various 411 services available.

In almost all cases your number will be a DID number.  This may have restrictions that vary by provider. With GV you get one package only. With CallCentric, you can get a number that receives calls only (no out going except 911), or you get in and out based on minutes used, etc.

Yes, living in MT (or anywhere else) you can get a number based in any other state or location.  They even make 911/E911 work at your actual correct address even if your number is based in a different state (note that GV does not do this). The drawback is as you mention, although there's nothing stopping you from getting two numbers, even with two different providers, one where you are based and one wherever people call you from (or where you want people to think your business is based, etc.., etc).  The Obi202 supports four providers, and if you do the Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM and E911) with two GV #s, and two CC #s for CNAM and 911, you'll get the biggest set of features at the lowest possible cost. 

Lafong

Coalminer:

Thanks for that. You pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

I've got a couple of other questions related to routers and which OBI product I might need, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Lafong

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on September 25, 2013, 12:41:04 AM
In general your number will be mostly unlisted. And IMO most people want it that way (but most businesses do not want it that way).  Your number will not, for example, appear in any 'white pages' telephone book, unless you take some action to make it appear.  If anything it might appear in the providers phone directory, or worse the provider might give (i.e. sell for profit) your number to various '411' services, which if you read the fine print probably makes you a have a 'business relationship' with anyone who purchases the 411 lists and therefore prone to legally getting telemarketing phone calls. It's a shady business.

Coal Miner:

I just took the plunge and ordered an OBI 202. Should be here next week, so I'm trying to make preliminary plans.

Re 411: I prefer NEVER to be found by anyone using 411 and am wondering if I can simply use a fake name all along the way?

I've signed up with Google Gmail with a fake name and it works. I assume when I activate Google
Voice/Chat that will also be under the fake name.

I'll get a phone number from Google using the fake name. I may also want a second service such as Callcentric for 911 purposes only---presumably using a fake name. My present plan is to use Google for all ordinary incoming and outgoing.

I'll have a small monthly bill for 911 purposes from Callcentric that I'd presumably pay by credit card.  My credit cards are of course in my real name and I'm wondering if that fact might eventually allow someone to find me via 411 using my real name if Callcentric decides to sell my account info?

Any insight?

I suspect I'll have more questions next week when I enter router hell for the first time. I don't have one and have never used one, so will be using the router capability in the 202.

I assume the router functionality MUST be used for the OBI to work at all? I've always just used cable modem plugged directly into PC via Ethernet. I have NO home network and NO wireless devices. NO cell phone. Ordinary corded Panasonic phone, single line.

CoalMinerRetired

> Re 411: I prefer NEVER to be found by anyone using 411 and am wondering if I can simply use a fake name all along the way?
I think you're pushing the limit if not crossing the line if you were to do this.  There are some laws, which vary by state I presume, that expressly say you cannot use a fake name or a fake address.  And in reality you do want this (the address and your name) to be correct and accurate.  I can't say this authoritatively, but it seems that no 911 service provider can go out and sell or otherwise give away your info.  In summary, if you want to take it to this level of privacy and anonymity then simply do not sign up for any 911 service.

> I've signed up with Google Gmail with a fake name and it works. I assume when I activate Google
Voice/Chat that will also be under the fake name.
Google has a loosely worded thing you agree to saying you will use your real name. But if no credit card payments are transacted, they will never know.

> I'll get a phone number from Google using the fake name. I may also want a second service such as Callcentric for 911 purposes only---presumably using a fake name. My present plan is to use Google for all ordinary incoming and outgoing.
See above 911 comments, ... I think it's a very bad idea to use a fake name on any 911 account.

> I'll have a small monthly bill for 911 purposes from Callcentric that I'd presumably pay by credit card.  My credit cards are of course in my real name and I'm wondering if that fact might eventually allow someone to find me via 411 using my real name if Callcentric decides to sell my account info?
If you truly want to know if that is a possibility, then read any and all of the terms and conditions for using Call Centric. By law they have to spell it all out for any consumet.

> I assume the router functionality MUST be used for the OBI to work at all?
No, not necessarily. There's no need to do anything with the router in the Obi for the telephony features to work.  By default these settings are enabled (Router Configuration > LAN Settings) but you simply do not use any of the router functions (i.e., do not connect any network devices such as PCs or printers to the the Obi and do not use the obi's LAN side routing functions) and everything works fine.

Lafong

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 24, 2013, 06:44:33 PM
And in reality you do want this (the address and your name) to be correct and accurate.  I can't say this authoritatively, but it seems that no 911 service provider can go out and sell or otherwise give away your info.  In summary, if you want to take it to this level of privacy and anonymity then simply do not sign up for any 911 service................

I think it's a very bad idea to use a fake name on any 911 account.........

If you truly want to know if that is a possibility, then read any and all of the terms and conditions for using Call Centric. By law they have to spell it all out for any consumer............

No, not necessarily.

Thanks for response.

Re 411: I may push the limits or maybe not. Truth is, I screen all calls regardless and the voice that answers my phone is a generic sound file that came with the telephone. As I understand it, a person can have many Google accounts. I'll use this current one ONLY for phone purposes, no credit card involved. Actually, the less I have to do with Google, the better, so I may eventually just go completely with someone like Callcentric.

Re 911: As you imply, it's pointless for 911 to have bogus names or addresses. I'll either be truthful or just not get 911 service. I talked to local fire/police non-emergency dispatch today and they advised the local system is E911, but does NOT have a 7 or 10 digit number equivalent that puts you at the top of the queue as would 911. But the only apparent advantage to 911/E911 I can see is that they can read your address in case you are speechless for whatever reason. Non-emergency dispatch claims they can get help to you just as quickly assuming you can talk to them. I could just put their 7 digit number into speed dial.

Re router: appears I was mis-informed. I thought I needed router and thus went with 202, not 110. No big deal.

Considering I have zero router experience, do you recommend I try to get things going via Obitalk or through local web interface? This will I hope be a very simple config---high speed Internet, one wired phone, one number, one desktop PC, all wired, no cells, no network, no separate router. I'd want to let my phone do the call screening rather than Google. Never configged a router, so I'm a babe in the woods.

Lavarock7

Many people have unlimited calling on their cellphone or it doesn't matter if they dial local or long distance. Where the area code comes in handy is when people decide what time is appropriate to call. I have numbers in cities 6 hours earlier than where I live, thus calls at 3am are not uncommon.

There is also an interesting effect I noticed having to do with telephone numbers. It may help you decide where to get a phone number.

First, Googlevoice will give you a free telephone number, but that number may or may not be in the area where you live. You also get free US and Canada calling. Google charges a porting charge to take an existing number to them. I believe $20.

Other Voip providers offer porting a number anywhere from free (Voip.ms) to $10 or maybe $15. You also can buy a telephone number in various cities (more than Google). I looked at Voip.Ms and their current charge is usually 50 cents to buy a number and for most people 99 cents per month to have the number in their account. There are a few exchanges where they have to pay more to get a number, and then the charge is $1.49 a month. Here in Hawaii, my local exchange is $1.49 but if I wanted a toll-free number instead, it is only 99 cents. It is cheaper monthly for me to have a toll free number than a local number!

Where Google gives you free calling, voip companies charge either a flat rate per month or per minute for calling. There may be free inbound minutes or a combination of both. Calls on a toll free number may be more expensive than on a non-toll-free number. Still, there may be considerable savings over traditional phone service, which also would not include all the options of voip. You might also be able to make your outbound telephone number match another phone number you have (but Googlevoice does not).

Some services also allow you to decide what caller ID shows to the called party (CNAM).
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Lafong

Lavarock:

Thanks for the input.

I don't care about my current number, so porting is out. I'll just get a new one. Where, I'm not sure. I don't really care if it's not a local number, but I might at least keep it within the state.

I make and receive few calls (rarely an hour a month), so most likely would want free Google or "pay as you go" from someone like voip.ms or Callcentric. I've already checked Callcentric and it looks like their "Pay Per Call" would cost about 1.95 per month, plus about $1.00 per hour actually on the phone, plus 911 for 1.50 if I want that. Plus one-time setup of $5 or $6. Plus taxes and fees.

I guess if I went with Google for all non-emergency calls, my only charges would be for 911 at Callcentric.

My concerns are mainly about uptime generally (reliability) and expense. My current phone bill is $20 plus---for an hour or less per month. I'd be better off with a 1950s pay phone considering my usage pattern.

I use Google as a search engine and for maps, but none of their other crap. I generally don't like the way they try to insinuate themselves into every corner of my life and do not use any "portable" devices other than a TV remote control.

I've also thought about a cheap throwaway cell phone for 911 only. I know next to nothing about cell phones, but I hear there are such "prepaid" things. But that's a complication.

Jackson

There are a number of search engines that claim anonymity.

This one uses Google.

https://startpage.com/

QuoteStartpage, and its sister search engine Ixquick, are the only third-party certified search engines in the world that do not record your IP address or track your searches.

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Lafong on October 24, 2013, 07:49:45 PM
Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 24, 2013, 06:44:33 PM
And in reality you do want this (the address and your name) to be correct and accurate.  I can't say this authoritatively, but it seems that no 911 service provider can go out and sell or otherwise give away your info.  In summary, if you want to take it to this level of privacy and anonymity then simply do not sign up for any 911 service................

I think it's a very bad idea to use a fake name on any 911 account.........

If you truly want to know if that is a possibility, then read any and all of the terms and conditions for using Call Centric. By law they have to spell it all out for any consumer............

No, not necessarily.

Thanks for response.

Re 411: I may push the limits or maybe not. Truth is, I screen all calls regardless and the voice that answers my phone is a generic sound file that came with the telephone. As I understand it, a person can have many Google accounts. I'll use this current one ONLY for phone purposes, no credit card involved. Actually, the less I have to do with Google, the better, so I may eventually just go completely with someone like Callcentric.

Apologies, I read 411 and saw 911 in this. Rather than edit my previous reply, take it as such.

Lavarock7

Depending upon the exchange, a Voip.Ms number would probably cost $1 a month and 63 cents an hour.

I am only familiar with Voip.Ms and Callcentric and have accounts with both for different reasons.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com