News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Masking Outgoing/Incoming Calls

Started by theshiv, May 20, 2015, 11:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theshiv

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace my (very) small business RCN line with an OBi, and probably Anveo phone service. However, I'm not entirely sure how to set it up to suit our needs.

• We only want one advertised phone number.

• If line 1 is busy we want the phone to ring on line 2.

• If an outgoing call is made on line 2, we want it to be "masked" as our advertised phone number (line 1).[/li

• We want the same voicemail to work on both lines (one voicemail account).

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but we also have an out of state phone number that currently forwards to our main number now. We need that to stay the same (both the forwarding and its service).

I'm thinking that the OBi202 is the best solution, but again I don't know how to make this all happen correctly, assuming this is all possible.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

OzarkEdge

>>I'm trying to replace my (very) small business RCN line with an OBi, and probably Anveo phone service. However, I'm not entirely sure how to set it up to suit our needs.

I believe an OBi202 and Anveo or VoIP.ms will serve your needs.  Look for the OBi202 to go on sale 5/22-24 here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833617003&cm_re=obi202-_-33-617-003-_-Product.

>>We only want one advertised phone number.

Your DID number resides with your service provider.  You decide how to advertise it and how to route inbound calls.  Outbound calls can spoof any CallerID number (at least on VoIP.ms), except when calling 911... you must use a 911 registered CallerID.

You can setup your OBi and ITSP account, get it working with a new/temp DID number, and a then port your existing number to that ITSP.  Build it at your leisure and then port your number over when ready to go live.  Then confirm your old account is closed after the port.

>>If line 1 is busy we want the phone to ring on line 2.

You can set this in the OBi, but more likely you will set this failover on busy at the ITSP level.  You can also have the DID ring a group of SIP sub-accounts/devices... the inbound DID could ring both OBi202 phone ports... and more like a softphone over WiFi running on your smartphone.

>>If an outgoing call is made on line 2, we want it to be "masked" as our advertised phone number (line 1).

The concept of 'lines' erodes with VoIP on the digital side.  You can maintain it, but it's only useful at the endpoints such as having one inbound DID number 'line' or more than one user calling out at a time on more than one 'line'.

With the OBi202, a user on phone1 and a user on phone2 can both be calling out over separate SIP channels on the same one SIP account.  That one account can define the CallerID number.  OR, each user could be calling out over separate SIP accounts.  And each separate SIP account can hold the same CallerID number... or spoof/fake different CallerID numbers.

You will want to confirm that your ITSP permits CallerID spoofing (masking).  VoIP.ms does.

With the OBi202, you will want at least 2 SIP sub-accounts, one for phone1 and one for phone2 to permit extension calling.

>>We want the same voicemail to work on both lines (one voicemail account).

No problem.  Define the voicemail box and link it to one or more SIP accounts used by one or more ISP devices/users.  Lots of multiplexing options with VoIP objects.

>>I'm not sure if this is relevant, but we also have an out of state phone number that currently forwards to our main number now. We need that to stay the same (both the forwarding and its service).

After you learn, you will know what to do with this number.  Meanwhile, leave it as is, no problem.

>>I'm thinking that the OBi202 is the best solution, but again I don't know how to make this all happen correctly, assuming this is all possible.

Invest $50 in an OBi202 on sale, open an ITSP account with a small deposit, and start learning and building.  When you have an operational solution you can trust on your network, your router, and your ISP... port your number and go live.

OE