News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming calls with GV do not ring to Obi202

Started by Doc_Glenn, September 30, 2013, 08:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc_Glenn

I have read other threads on this topic. No luck. So my Obi202 is configured to use GV. I can make outgoing calls, and the caller ID on the other end shows my GV number. Good.

When I call the GV number, my cell phone rings (because GV forwards to it) and my computer rings (because Google Chat is enabled on it). But when I pick up the phone connected to Obi202 while the other phones are ringing, I just get a dial tone!

I followed the steps of delete Google Chat, then make a call from within gmail (but it shows up as Hangouts, not Google Chat). After doing this and going to Google Voice management, I have the option to add Google Chat (yes, it does not say Hangouts here). I do that.

I go into ObiTalk control panel and it says that Google Voice account is connected.

What on earth is going wrong? How do I fix this? I'm away at work during the time that Obi chat support is available - don't know if they could help in that situation.

Doc_Glenn

I found another thread that suggested removing the Google Talk plugin from Windows and installing Google Hangouts plugin. Then make a call from gmail and tell it you do NOT want to enable hangouts, but instead revert to old chat. So I did this.

Well, now it's worse. When I make a call from my old landline phone to my GV number it doesn't even appear on the computer (it did before and I think I was using hangouts). And the GV number also forwards to my cell phone. It rings, but I get no voice when I answer! This feature should not be going through ObiTalk, so I have no idea what's going wrong.

CoalMinerRetired

This sounds you need a divide-and-conquer troubleshooting approach. 

Completely log out, in all browsers (including mobile browsers and apps) and all chat plugins, of the Google account to which your Google Voice is attached.  Reboot your desktop/laptop computer if you have to.  Make a call from a phone that is not a forwarding phone, what happens when you make this one incoming call? Does GV's call log show an incoming call? Does the Obi call history show the same incoming call? Obviously both logs should show the same incoming call.

For new users, Obi call history is not viewable via the ObiTalk Portal. You have to access via the Web Server-Based Local Configuration  (also called The OBi Device Management Web Page, also called direct IP address interface), How to link.

Reply back if you don't get past this point.

Doc_Glenn

I'll try that when I get home. I've seen people refer to the Obi call logs, but never could figure out where it is. The ObiTalk portal ought to have some prominent links that tell you how to get to these important pages.

Could someone please elaborate on what goes on with a GV connection?
My desktop computer is a Google Chat or Google Hangout client. True?
The Obi dev is another Google <Chat|Hangout> client. True?
It seems that when I make my initial phone call from gmail, at that point I get to establish with Google whether to use Chat or Hangout for all client connections. True?
Since I can place outgoing calls from Obi, it seems that the outgoing client connection is less picky than for incoming calls.
For incoming calls, I think that GV gets the call, then looks up my forwarding choices and proceeds to "ring" all those. Since my computer is logged in, it is a <Char|Hangout> client, therefore it should start "ringing". Evidently Google is OK with multiple <chat|hangout> clients being connected, because it should also "ring" the Obi device.
Am I making sense? If so, then why doesn't GV ring either my computer client or Obi client? Smells like a Google problem to me.

Shale

Quote from: Doc_Glenn on October 01, 2013, 08:15:47 AM
I'll try that when I get home. I've seen people refer to the Obi call logs, but never could figure out where it is. The ObiTalk portal ought to have some prominent links that tell you how to get to these important pages.

To check the call history log:

1.  If you do not know the IP address of your OBi, find IP address:
from your phone dial ***1 and listen for the IP address.  Write it
down.

2.Let a comma represent a pause. On your connected phone,
dial ***0,30#, 1, 1 (for OBi202 for first time to enable WAN web access).

Your OBi should read your current IP number to you. It is often
192.168.__.__ or 10.0.__/.___ where __ represents some numbers. Write
that down.

3. Enter the IP address that you wrote down into the address box on your
browser. If you don't know what a browser is, that means Internet Explorer,
Chrome or Safari. It could  also mean Firefox,  etc.

Be prepared to enter the password for your OBi. The username is admin.

4. On the left, click Status -> Call History.

****other comment follows*****

Normal use of GV from an OBi does not involve a plugin. Other than that, I mostly zoned out the other stuff you were saying. I suggest you look at http://www.obihai.com/FAQ.html

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: Doc_Glenn on October 01, 2013, 08:15:47 AM
Could someone please elaborate on what goes on with a GV connection?
1.) My desktop computer is a Google Chat or Google Hangout client. True?
2.) The Obi dev is another Google <Chat|Hangout> client. True?
3.) It seems that when I make my initial phone call from gmail, at that point I get to establish with Google whether to use Chat or Hangout for all client connections. True?
Since I can place outgoing calls from Obi, it seems that the outgoing client connection is less picky than for incoming calls.
4.) For incoming calls, I think that GV gets the call, then looks up my forwarding choices and proceeds to "ring" all those. Since my computer is logged in, it is a <Char|Hangout> client, therefore it should start "ringing". Evidently Google is OK with multiple <chat|hangout> clients being connected, because it should also "ring" the Obi device.
5.) Am I making sense? If so, then why doesn't GV ring either my computer client or Obi client? Smells like a Google problem to me.

1. Yes.
2. Strictly speaking, it emulates a Google Chat client, but it is not a truce chat client, is not software written by Google.
3. Don't know, I personally don't make calls using Google Chat from a browser.  I did once a long time ago but haven't since.
4. Yes to multiple chat clients, Yes to also ring the Obi device.
5. They the divide and conquer troubleshooting, the incoming call logs will point to one thing or another and go from there.

Doc_Glenn

Humbled by my own stupidity.
Working now.
Fiddled with Google Chat things while at work. Came home and just before doing a factory reset, I tried dialing my GV number once again. I noticed that one of the phone lights began blinking. Let's see, it seems to indicate that Phone1 is receiving a call, but there is no call on the phone. Oh, what's this??? The phone is plugged into Phone2!!! Once I plugged into Phone1, I can receive calls!

I don't know how I made that mistake except perhaps I din't have my glasses on when I plugged it in and that two jacks are actually in reverse order of the lights on the front.

Three mysteries remain. (1) Why was I able to make an outgoing call on SP1 while plugged into Phone2, when my device config shows that Phone 2 is not configured for outgoing calls? (2) I still can't receive calls on my computer when logged into Chat, but I used to be able to. Oh well, not a big deal, I don't use computer for phone calls. (3) Why are both Phone lights on solid green when nothing is plugged in or configured for Phone2?

Shale

>(2) I still can't receive calls on my computer when logged into
>Chat, but I used to be able to.  Oh well, not a big deal, I don't
>use computer for phone calls.

You don't want to log into the account that OBi is using for GV.

>(3) Why are both Phone lights on solid green when nothing is
>plugged in or configured for Phone2?

Admin guide says "If the Primary Line is SP1/SP2/OBiTALK, indicates the corresponding primary service is available." I am not sure how to interpret that.  Are you sure that the "Phone Port Configuration Summary" in OBiTalk has no checkmarks in the Phone 2 column?