News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Simple setup for OBi202

Started by Vixx, October 01, 2013, 04:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vixx

Hi guys!  First time poster, so please be gentle, hehe.  

Anyway, my grandson recommended the OBi202 as a replacement for my freebie GoogleVoice/Sipgate setup that I've been using for the past few years.  I'm sure you're all probably familiar with the Sipgate situation, so I'm wondering if you could confirm the "best" setup for me.

My situation:

*  I spend most of my time at my home in Colorado where I utilize GoogleVoice/Sipgate/Grandstream BT201 SIP phone.  90% of the people that call me call my cell phone, but I never hear the damn thing, especially if it's buried at the bottom of my purse.  Over the past year I've "trained" my kids and grandkids to call my GoogleVoice number so that I can use the SIP phone and actually hear the conversations.  Sipgate discontinuing service has thrown a wrench into that setup, and I plan to replace it with GoogleVoice/OBi202/old cordless phone.  Average GV/Sipgate usage is only around 1 hour a month.

*  I spend approx 2-3 months a year at my home in Florida, where I utilized the same exact setup as above, but with a different GoogleVoice account with a local number.  Average GV/Sipgate usage at this location is approx 2-3 hrs a year.  Yeah, Ms. Popularity, I know.   ;D

*** QUESTION OF THE DAY ***

Based on the above, is the OBi202 combined with a regular phone my best option for both locations?  Also, is there any way to salvage anything out of these old BT201 SIP phones?   If the OBi202 setup is ok, what would the proper setup be?  I'm assuming Router >> Switch >> OBi >> phone plugged into OBi.  Is that right?  

Anyway, than you all in advance for your assistance and expert advice!

PS
Is there anyway to use this unit in conjunction with online voice products like TeamSpeak/Ventrilo/RaidCall?  Such additional functionality would help tremendously during my online gaming dungeon and raid runs. 

azrobert

You don't need any more new equipment.
The following is what you need to do.

Get a free account at Simon Telephonics here:
https://simonics.com/gvgw/

Simon Telephonics is a SIP gateway for your GV account.

When you register your GV account to Simon, they will give you the required credentials to register your BT201. I recommend saving these credentials with a cut and paste.

Register your Grandstream BT201 to your Simon account.

That's it.

Is your current setup for only inbound calls?
The above setup is for inbound and outbound calls.

Edit:
Is this post going to get me in trouble with Obihai?

Vixx

Thank you for the advice, I'll check them out.  Even if I don't need the OBis, one of my grandkids in college can probably use them. 

Thanks again.

azrobert

I forgot about the GV setup to receive incoming calls.

In your GV account list of forwarding numbers Check GoogleChat.

You might have to make a single outbound call from your Gmail Chat.
Make sure you are signed out of Chat after making the call.

Good luck.