News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to conf two Google Voice accounts

Started by Dr_glenn, September 29, 2013, 08:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr_glenn

I'm sure you're thinking this topic has been well covered, but I haven't found a clear answer for my particulars.
I have Obi202. Configured it with my one GV number that is associated with my only gmail account, let's call it glenn1. This works fine.

Next I want to port my current home phone to GV (using t-mobile as intermediary). But I decided I want the home phone to be associated with glenn1. So I created another gmail account, glenn2, and ported existing GV number to it. Here is where my problems begin.

My question now is, what do I need to do on Obi202?
If I leave it as is, this seems utterly wrong, since it was configured to login to GV with the glenn1 account - and this account does not currently have a GV number associated with it.
Do I have to disconnect the existing GV number from Obi202? If so, how?
Do both accounts, glenn1 and glenn2 need to be associated with the same Obi device? If so, how?

I would appreciate a step-by-step instruction set for undoing the current state (original GV number configured on Obi202, but no longer associated with glenn1 account), changing Obi to use the new glenn2 account, and finally adding in a new GV number (which will be my ported home phone) to be associated with old glenn1 account.

Thanks so much.

dircom

what do you mean "So I created another gmail account, glenn2, and ported existing GV number to it. Here is where my problems begin."

if you had an existing GV number it was associated with a Gmail account - right?  Is it still associated with that account?
or did you just move the number from one gmail address to another?

Doc_Glenn

Never mind, I was being dumb, I've figured out what to do. But first, to answer the question, yes, I ported (transferred) my original GV number from my original gmail account to a new gmail account.

Now I'm having minor forum troubles because I setup a forum name "dr_glenn" with my glenn2 account, but would prefer to use my glenn1 account for forum communications, so I had to create a new forum name.

My muddled thinking was that each GV number needed a separate login to ObiTalk. In fact ObiTalk has one login account for managing the device - and this need not be a Google gmail account. It will then have unique username/password for each Google Voice - these are the Google gmail account usernames.

Anyway, here's what I ended up doing.
1. Realized that ObiTalk doesn't want me to have two different login accounts for managing the same Obi202 device.
2. Used my original glenn1 account to login to ObiTalk. Selected my Obi202 (that's easy, I'm only managing one Obi device).
3. Clicked settings for SP1 - the only GV number that is currently attached to Obi.
4. Changed email address from glenn1 to glenn2. Changed password.

That was all I needed to do! Now my original GV number is correctly connected to my new glenn2 account in the view of ObiTalk.

In the next few days I will port my landline number to GV account glenn1.
Then I will delete the current SP1.
Then create new SP1 with the GV number of glenn1.
Then create SP2 with the GV number of glenn2 (currently this number is associated with SP1).

I believe that takes care of all my concerns.

mhair

Hi Dr. Glenn,

I'm struggling with 2 GV numbers and one OBi202 device as well. I have 2 diff. gmail accounts and 2 numbers. One is working incoming and outgoing, the other will not. I tried advice elsewhere on creating 2 separate obitalk accounts and associating 1 obi device with both, by configuring 1 gmail account, then deleting the OBi device from that obitalk account, then configuring the obi device with the second obitalk account/GV account.

That did NOT work for me. Never got second GV # working, so reverted to config with first GV # which is now working again.

This was supposed to be simple, but ended up being quite difficult. I'd appreciate advice from anyone, not just Glenn.

Thanks,