News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 202 outgoing: can’t navigate voicemail menus

Started by Lafong, November 09, 2013, 04:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lafong

I've had this Obi 202 for about 2 weeks and haven't used it much. I tentatively thought it was working well, but I still have my original phone service as a backup.

I just attempted to renew a prescription by phone, which requires you to call the pharmacy's number and then make certain choices by using the touch-tone buttons on the phone.

I was able to connect to the number and listened to the voicemail menu, but when I pressed "1" to make a particular choice, the response was "I'm sorry, that is not a valid selection".

I hung up and tried again. Same result.

I then swapped a cable to allow me to use my old phone service, bypassing the Obi device. I was then able to re-fill the prescription with no errors. All issued commands were recognized by the pharmacy's voice mail system.

Not exactly confidence-inspiring. What's going on and any ideas to try?

CoalMinerRetired

Look at the DTMFMethod settings, found under ITSP Profile {A, B, C or D} > SIP

Explanation from the admin manual is:

Method to pass DTMF digits to peer device. Available choices are:
Inband - DTMF tone are sent as inband audio signal
RFC2833 - DTMF tone events are relayed per RFC2833
SIPInfo - DTMF tones are relayed with SIP INFO request
Auto - Method to use based on call setup negotiation (either Inband or RFC2833 may be negotiated)

The default setting is Auto, I'd say try the other options to see what works.

There's also X_UseFixedDurationRFC2833DTMF, which applies only when the RFC2833 value is set above.

Lafong

Thanks to both of you. I got it sorted by changing DTMF Method to "inband". It had been set to "auto".

Can I assume that "inband" will necessarily work with all voicemail trees I might encounter—my bank, another pharmacy, or a random corporation??

Or can I look forward to changing that setting repeatedly, depending on who I call?

Or if I move away from Google Voice and go with Callcentric or whoever--which is looking more likely considering the upheaval regarding Google Voice and XMPP next May?

Dircom: I called that "DTMF echo" test number you referred to and poked all numbers on my phone's keypad. This is with the default "auto" setting in my DTMF Method configuration, not "inband". ALL numbers were repeated back to me correctly but SOME numbers were repeated back with an echo, others had no echo.

After I changed the setting to "inband", I called the test number again and had the same results—all correctly recognized, some repeated back with no echo, some with echo.

Normal expected behavior?