News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to make calls jump from one line to another

Started by iporter, October 11, 2013, 04:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iporter

I have a voip service provided by my home ISP which also gives me free calls anywhere in Australia.
The ITSP does not allow sip connections from outside of their network and quite restrictive on their use of the VOIP service.

I travel a lot and so want to pick up my inbound calls to the home while overseas and also to use my Voip service to make national calls while I am away.

Will Obi allow me to call into from oversea by voip on one channel and pick up the dialtone on the other line ie. from my VOIP line at home?

If not, what extra do I need - like Pbx service, etc.

RFord

Since you provide minimal information, I will have to assume that  you have some sort of ATA device with your current VOIP provider.  With that said, you will need an OBi110 or an OBi2XX with a OBiLine.  With an OBi110, you would connect the Australian VOIP Adapter to the Line port of the OBi110 and setup another VOIP provider on the SP1 (or SP2).  You will access Australian Line via one of the SP's VOIP Line.  There might be other ways to access the OBi LINE port without an intermediate VOIP provider, but I'm not sure, so others might chime in with an alternate solution.

"The ITSP does not allow sip connections from outside of their network"  Are you sure that there isn't a way around this?

iporter

Quote from: RFord on October 11, 2013, 05:32:42 AM
Since you provide minimal information, I will have to assume that  you have some sort of ATA device with your current VOIP provider.  With that said, you will need an OBi110 or an OBi2XX with a OBiLine.  With an OBi110, you would connect the Australian VOIP Adapter to the Line port of the OBi110 and setup another VOIP provider on the SP1 (or SP2).  You will access Australian Line via one of the SP's VOIP Line.  There might be other ways to access the OBi LINE port without an intermediate VOIP provider, but I'm not sure, so others might chime in with an alternate solution.

"The ITSP does not allow sip connections from outside of their network"  Are you sure that there isn't a way around this?

Sorry, I should have said I have currently a 'BoB' Belkin modem/router (proprietory to the ISP) It has SIP built in and simulated POTS line out, which I plug into a cordless phone system.  I am thinking to do away with that method and use the Obi to connect to the SIP server.  But what I am wanting to do is have the calls to the home forked so I can pick up inbound calls from overseas and also to be able to call in by VOIP from overseas (maybe use the GV line), then pick up the dial-tone for the local line to be allow me to make free local calls out onto the PSTN.