News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 or Obi202

Started by PatrickRyan, October 11, 2013, 10:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickRyan

Greetings,

I have decided to get an Obi device. I want to connect 2 separate GV accounts and use a couple of VOIP providers (callcentric, pbxes, and or voip.ms). I have no landline and use the 2 GV numbers as main numbers. GV currently forwards calls to the cell number in one case and to a callcentric did >pbxes.org in the other. My question is what is the benefit(s) of the 202 over the 200. Is it worth the extra $20? Thanks so mucj

Shale

If you want to plug in a second phone some day, you could. I you want to hook a fax line to the OBi, you have the jack.

If you want to use the built-in router or if you want an extra Ethernet port, the OBi202 could do that.

OBi200 is smaller. It is newer. I don't know if they improved any parts because of experience.

You could also consider the OBI100.

PatrickRyan

Thanks Shale,

Second phone or fax are worthy considerations. Does either unit support QOS and if so is there an appreciable improvement in call quality?

Shale

The OBI 202 can implement QOS for anything that passes through it, at least in theory. Few do that, as far as I can tell. You can search for QOS and OBi202 on this forum, but I don't think you are going to find the definitive info you want. I cannot try it, because my modem has its own router that does not have a bridge mode.

I would also search for your router along with the term QOS in a search engine.  Maybe your router can do QOS or maybe you can get firmware which will do so.