News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting a UK PSTN line to work with OBI110

Started by jrinco11, April 15, 2011, 12:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrinco11

Hi all -- I'm having problems getting my UK land line to work w/the Obi110.  Simply plugging the land line into the LINE port, and then trying to call it, does nothing (no incoming call logged in the call history tab).   I then proceeded with changing the regional settings based on the Hong Kong settings listed here (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=622.0], as I've seen a few posts saying the HK settings mimic the UK settings, and still no luck.

Under the PHONE and LINE port status page, I have:
Line port:
  *State:  on hook
  *LoopCurrent:  0 mA
  *VBAT:   (blank)
  *TipRingVoltage:  0 V
  *LastCallerInfo:  --

looks like the obi110 doesn't even think anything's connected?  (however, I plug the same line into any number of land line phones, and I get dial tone and everything)

any suggestions or things I'm missing that I need to do in order to get the obi110 to work w/my UK land line?  (google voice and sipgate are working great, however!)

OBiSupport

When you have the LINE port connected,
Do you see the LINE led (the 4th, next to telephone led) light up?

Can you please try the following:

1. Disconnect the power adaptor from OBi110
2. Lift up your analog phone, do you hear dial tone ?

if yes, continue...
3. hang up your phone, wait ~3 second, and off hook again.
   do you hear dial tone ?

Please email to support@obihai.com with answers to the above.
Also, indicate your 9 digit OBi No.

-Obihai Support Team

jrinco11

no LED and no dial tone after trying the instructions - I'll be sending an email to support - thanks!

patty

RJ11 may not work in UK, they use a BS6312 jack
check out this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_6312

jrinco11

The wall jacks are indeed the BS6312, but when plugging into the actual phone itself, they're RJ11 (I'm using a BS6312 to RJ11 cable) -- I thought at first that perhaps the wiring isn't mapped correctly, but I tried using the same cable in a US land line phone I brought from the US and it works (got a dial tone when plugged into the wall socket using the same cable I'm using now)

jrinco11

anyone else have any ideas?  (emailed support 5 days ago w/no response yet, so was hoping someone else in the forum may have some suggestions?)

LeftRight

One more thing you might try is to connect your FXO port to FXS port using a telephone line (like the one coming with the package), then, open the PHONE and LINE status page, and see if you can read TipRingVoltage. This way, the line voltage is provided by OBi110 itself, and it should guarantee you FXO port sense a voltage around -45 V if the unit is not defective.

If you have a line splitter, you can also connect both a regular telephone and FXO port to your FXS port, then, make a call into your SP1/OBiTALK, your phone will ring, so does your LINE port. Open PHONE and LINE status page again, you should see the LINE port state becomes "ringing".

If both 2 steps go well, then, we can look ahead to see why UK BS 6312 does not work with the LINE port

elminakid

JRINCO11
Im setting up a OBI for my inlaws in London. Reading ur forum msg I thought u might be able to help me. I have SP1 set to GV and looking for a local VOIP provider local to london, so I can call using their obi to call other friends. SO questions is do u know of any local providers(sip) and also did u have issues calling the US via GV.

lhm.

@elminakid

localphone.com

jrinco11

Quote from: LeftRight on April 20, 2011, 09:13:25 AM
One more thing you might try is to connect your FXO port to FXS port using a telephone line (like the one coming with the package), then, open the PHONE and LINE status page, and see if you can read TipRingVoltage. This way, the line voltage is provided by OBi110 itself, and it should guarantee you FXO port sense a voltage around -45 V if the unit is not defective.

If you have a line splitter, you can also connect both a regular telephone and FXO port to your FXS port, then, make a call into your SP1/OBiTALK, your phone will ring, so does your LINE port. Open PHONE and LINE status page again, you should see the LINE port state becomes "ringing".

If both 2 steps go well, then, we can look ahead to see why UK BS 6312 does not work with the LINE port

ah good idea -- I connected the FXO to the FXS and I am getting a TipRingVoltage of -47V (which I am not getting when I plug in the line directly from the wall).   Unfortunately, I don't have a line splitter, so I won't be able to test that unless I pick one up tomorrow (it's 8pm here and everything closes at like 5...::sigh::).  

What I'm using right now for my land line phone is a 431a to RJ11 cable (.  After a bit of research, it appears 431A is the plug type which goes into a BS6312 standard jack.  

Quote from: elminakid on April 20, 2011, 11:12:11 AM
JRINCO11
Im setting up a OBI for my inlaws in London. Reading ur forum msg I thought u might be able to help me. I have SP1 set to GV and looking for a local VOIP provider local to london, so I can call using their obi to call other friends. SO questions is do u know of any local providers(sip) and also did u have issues calling the US via GV.

There's plenty of uk sip/voip providers.  I currently use sipgate.co.uk and voipfone -- I've actually got voipfone providing service for my outgoing landline calls as they're way cheaper than BT and don't charge connection fees for each call like BT does (BT still provides my incoming landline calls).  

As far as using GV, I've had no problems using it here in the UK either with the OBI110, IncrediblePBX/asterisk, or through gmail.  (just remember that you have to initially sign up with GV from a US ip address)

RonR

Quote from: jrinco11 on April 20, 2011, 12:04:52 PMUnfortunately, I don't have a line splitter, so I won't be able to test that unless I pick one up tomorrow (it's 8pm here and everything closes at like 5...::sigh::).
You don't actually need a splitter and regular telephone connected to it to run the test (just have the PHONE Port to LINE Port connection made).  Granted, when you call into SP1/OBiTALK you won't hear the call arrive, but you should see the LINE Port LED blinking and see the LINE Port 'ringing' status.

jrinco11

oh man.... turns out, I was using the wrong cable!  The cable I was using indeed had a RJ11 on one end, and 431A on the other, but it was meant for a UK DSL modem connection (the red and green wire ended up on pin 1 and 4 of the RJ11 instead of 2 and 3 like it needs to be).  I happened to find another 431A to RJ11 in my mess of cables, plugged it in, and it works great - now all I need to do is change my dial plan to allow UK dialing.   (ugh, and I knew that the DSL modems using just the two wires, but I thought they used the two inside wires....::sigh:: ).   For those who may manage to end up doing what I did....make sure you are using a non-dsl hook up cable in the UK!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, and helping me figure out that I at least didn't have a defective unit!

One more question.   Do I still need to change the dialtone settings and such like I tried doing in the OP?

CelticComms

The phone and line impedance should be different in the UK.

I suggest setting the line port impedance to 370+(620||310nF).

For the phone port impedance I would probably select 320+(1050||230nF) which looks closest to BT's nominal values.

Both Line and Phone ports should be set to V23 method for CallerID.

The gain settings and some other settings should also be adjusted - hopefully somebody from Obi can give a complete list.

jrinco11

thanks CelticComms, however, now when I dial from my phone (**8), it rings once, disconnects, and I get a dial tone.  My guess is that the double ring from UK dialed numbers is getting interpreted as a disconnect tone or something.   Could this be due to using the wrong value for DisconnectTonePattern?  (it currently has 480-30,620-30;10;(.25+.25) in there now)

yhfung

Have you tried the disconnection tone pattern for OBi device as shown in the following thread?

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=767.0

YH
Hong Kong and China OBi Users Group
www.telecom-cafe.com

jrinco11

yes, and unfortunately that didn't help things - also, I couldn't find where to enter in the ringback tone (if I indeed was supposed to try that as well)

LeftRight

Quote from: jrinco11 on April 28, 2011, 03:12:37 AM
thanks CelticComms, however, now when I dial from my phone (**8), it rings once, disconnects, and I get a dial tone.  My guess is that the double ring from UK dialed numbers is getting interpreted as a disconnect tone or something.   Could this be due to using the wrong value for DisconnectTonePattern?  (it currently has 480-30,620-30;10;(.25+.25) in there now)

It is unlikely the UK ringback tone is interpreted as disconnect tone if you are using the default. The tone pattern you listed (  480-30,620-30;10;(.25+.25) ) is the US disconnect tone, very different from UK ringback/disconnect tone.

To further confirm this, you can actually disable disconnect tone detect -- (uncheck "DetectDisconnectTone"), and call out again using **8, and see if you still experience the same.

jrinco11

nope, unfortunately I am already using the disconnect tone value - any other suggestions?

LeftRight

You may try following settings under your tone settings, and see whether it helps

Go to obi expert configuration -> Tone Settings -> Tone Profile A/B :

Dial tone:       350-18,440-18;20
Ringback tone:   400-18,450-18;20;(.4+.2,.4+2)
Busy tone:     400-18;20;(.375+.375)
Reorder tone:   400-18;20

Go to obi expert configuration -> Physical Interface -> LINE port:

DisconnectTonePattern:   400-30;20

Other settings you might try, but not sure whether those are related to your problem --

Go to obi expert configuration -> Physical Interface -> LINE port:

RingFrequencyMin    10
RingFrequencyMax   100
RingThreshold         13.50-16.50
RingValidationTime   256

ACImpedance         320+(1050||230 nF)
OnHookSpeed         3 ms (ETSI)
CurrentLimitingEnable   Enable
CallerIDDetectMethod   FSK (V.23)

Go to obi expert configuration -> Physical Interface -> PHONE port:

Impedance             320+(1050||230 nF)

jrinco11

LeftRight, thanks for the reply!  I saw your update this morning, as well as Obihai's twitter update(http://twitter.com/#!/Obihai/statuses/70633753344622592) saying the obi110 is now available in the UK, so I'm quite excited to finally get this working - I edited my config to match your settings for just Tone Profile B...do I need to do it for both A and B?  I assume that I would just choose either Tone Profile B from Physical Interface -> LINE -> LINE Port -> ToneProfile and then I would make my changes in Tone Profile B and then leave A alone?   (doing so seems to work!)