News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

disable PSTN phone ring?

Started by babobi, October 18, 2013, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babobi

Is there a way to DISABLE the PSTN Line phone RING so that incoming calls go thru BUT I DO NOT WANT to HEAR it ring for incoming calls? I have my Comcast landline forward all my calls to my Google Voice, so I ONLY want to hear the Google Voice ring [not the Comcast ring] because then I'd know a legit call is coming in. Right now the Comcast emits a "short ring" when ANY call comes in, which indicates the call is being forwarded FROM the Comcast landline TO Google Voice. It's really annoying because when the phone rings only once, it means the caller has been sent to my blocked list of compiled spam numbers, which I DO NOT want to hear ring or even know about. I only want to hear the legit calls [filtered via Google Voice] ring thru, which are compiled on my "white list"

Thanks so much!

ianobi

This should do what you want:

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > InboundCallRoute: {}

The ring will happen, but will not be put through to your phone. The call will not be recorded in Call History.

babobi

Thanks so much, ianobi. Quick questions -- when I go to: Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > InboundCallRoute there is a white space that has "ph" in the space. Should I DELETE the "ph" and leave it blank? or should I put "{}" in there? Also, to the right of that there are TWO check boxes, the first box is UNCHECKED under "Device Default" and the second box is CHECKED under "OBiTALK Settings" Should I uncheck the second one? Or leave as is? Thanks again for helping me with this!  

Quote from: ianobi on October 19, 2013, 01:17:48 AM
This should do what you want:

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > InboundCallRoute: {}

The ring will happen, but will not be put through to your phone. The call will not be recorded in Call History.

ianobi

Delete the "ph" and replace with "{}"

Make changes via the Obi Expert Configuration pages. From your OBi Dashboard, click on your OBi number and follow the prompts to get there. To change a value uncheck both boxes to the right of the value and leave them unchecked. After changing the value, press submit at the bottom of the page and wait a few minutes for the Obi to reboot.

babobi

Thanks a million ianobi -- works like a charm!  ;D

One last thing: Is there a way for me to save the new altered custom configuration of my OBi110 as a file on my desktop so I can reload it later if need be? Like if all my configurations got inadvertently reset to factory defaults for whatever reason? I do not see how to do this anywhere. And how would I reload my configs?

Thanks again, ianobi -- I owe you bigtime!

ianobi

Your OBi110 does have a "Backup and Restore" function. It can only be accessed via the web page, not through the OBiTALK portal:

System management > Device Update > Backup Configuration
System management > Device Update > Restore Configuration

IMPORTANT Note: All passwords and PINs are excluded from the backup file. Hence they will not be available to restore.

I'm no expert on this function and it does not seem to be totally reliable. Others may know more about it.

95% of your OBi110 settings will be at default. You may wish to simply keep a word document or similar with the settings not at default and your non-default digit maps. Then you could copy and paste them back in after a device reset.

ProfTech

The backup and restore function works fine, at least on the 100/110. Just be sure that you do not check either box "Incl. running status" or "incl. default value". Simply check the box "Use Obi version" and it will save everything except the passwords, as ianobi stated. You must re-enter any passwords.

babobi

Do I need to be at the physical location of the phone in order to do this? I live in a different city from the phone location. Thanks ProfTech.

babobi

How do I access the Obi WEBPAGE? ??? So WEBPAGE and WEB PORTAL are two DIFFERENT things?  :o Do i need to be at the physical location of the phone to access the WEBPAGE?  :(

Thx tons for any info!  :D

Shale

Quote from: babobi on October 22, 2013, 01:08:30 AM
How do I access the Obi WEBPAGE? ??? So WEBPAGE and WEB PORTAL are two DIFFERENT things?  :o Do i need to be at the physical location of the phone to access the WEBPAGE?  :(

Thx tons for any info!  :D

Doing the access locally:

1.  If you do not know the IP address of your OBi, find IP address:
from your phone dial ***1 and listen for the IP address.  Write it
down.

2. Your OBi should read your current IP number to you. It is often
192.168.__.__ or 10.0.__/.___ where __ represents some numbers. Write
that down.

3. Enter the IP address that you wrote down into the address box on your
browser. If you don't know what a browser is, that means Internet Explorer,
Chrome or Safari. It could  also mean Firefox,  etc.

Be prepared to enter the password for your OBi. The username is admin.

4. If you are looking for Call History, on the left, click Status -> Call History. Otherwise do whatever you were looking to do.

Do you need to be at the location of the OBi? Maybe not. If you can set up things on your ROUTER such that you can access the OBi remotely, then you could do it remotely. The easy way to do that is to put the OBi into the DMZ.  But how will you know the IP or what to put into the DMZ? Your router pages will tell you what is connected. If you want to know how to operate your router, you should check the manual or look for a forum that discusses your router.

If you, or somebody else, have not enabled your router for remote access and know the login name and password, you will not be able to do this access remotely.