News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Best solution for porting home number, but likely no OBi

Started by Rick, November 07, 2013, 07:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

I realize this forum is intended for OBi support, but I trust the long-time contributors and time is tight right now as I'll explain.

My in-laws are transitioning from home to hospital to rehab (now) to assisted living.  It's very traumatic to them and to us.  Lots of balls in the area, finding assisted living that fits the timeframe, moving stuff, etc.  At their home they had a landline for incoming calls and local calls with a number they'd like to keep, and a cell for outgoing long distance they they used, but didn't like due to size, etc.  They make less than a call a day.

In their new environment they will only have wifi internet, and I have no idea of the speed.  Nor do I wish to try to configure a wireless OBi solution that may, or may not work in Assisted Living.  They don't use computers and never will. 

I've come up with several options that I'd like ripped apart.  The goals are EASE OF IMPLEMENTATION, KEEPING THEIR LANDLINE NUMBER ACTIVE and EASE OF USE, and then COST SAVINGS.

I bought a XLink BTTN for $40 (ordered a BT, they shipped at BTTN).  This device hooks to a cellphone by Bluetooth.  You plug a regular phone into it, and that regular phone now can make and receive calls.  They put the cell next to the device, with Bluetooth on, and it's connected.  I've tested it and it works great.  I've tested walking away and walking back, and it reconnects just fine.  Using the cell is not a problem for minutes, in fact it's free to call any Verizon cell number or any "favorite numbers", and I can change them as I see fit. 

Therefore, not hooking up any landline.  Saves $500 or so a year.  They don't need 911, they have call buttons to push for the people at assisted living.

Option 1:

Port landline to cell, losing cell number.  Losing the number doesn't matter, and now all their home calls go to the cell, which they can answer on the regular phone that's hooked to the XLink.  IF they take the cell with them, their old fashioned answering machine won't work (connected to the XLink), and someone in the room (if only 1 left) has no phone to use.  However, they are no longer driving, and we'll be taking them to things, so they don't need to take the cell phone.  Downside - their old home number is now a cell number, so if we ever dump that line the number goes away.  Downside, I can see who they call and who calls them, but can't block anyone.

Option 2:

Port landline to a VoIP provider, and then forward it to the cell.  Keeps that number AND keeps the cell number.  If the cell is ever dumped, still have the old landline number.  Upside - can forward the landline to that cell or to anywhere else in the future.  Upside - should be able to block calls from unwanted parties (solicitors) as they come in and are identified.  And can block calls without callerid.  Downside - cost?  Downside - added complexity.  Downside - SIP scanners (don't think so, because I'm only forwarding the former landline number, no?)  Downside, outgoing calls will show to people as the cell number instead of their home number, but that's the way it's been for years as all long distance went via the cell (and it's number is blocked).

I could port to Google Voice for option #2, but don't want dropped calls that I sometimes get and I don't know if it's the OBi or GV.  I want a seamless experience for them.  I have no other VoIP experience.

Thoughts?  Missed options?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Johnny

If you decide on going with option 2,

Voip.ms is offering free porting and a DID is $0.99/mo.

I have an account at Voip.ms and I have to say, there's not many downsides to speak of.

The costs for inbound and outbound are minimal and if not many calls are placed, you shouldn't have to worry at all about cost being a "downside".

Once set up properly, it shouldn't be too complex. 

There are many other good voip providers as well, I also have an account at Callcentric and I like them equally as well as Voip.ms.  Check out both if you can.

Good luck with your decision.......

ianobi

Option 1 - Get a cheap cell phone and connect to the XLink button 2. Port their existing landline number to it. Put the phone out of the way up on a shelf, maybe on permanent charge. Now you have a permanent incoming service and the answerphone will always work. The original cell phone connected to button 1 will be first choice for outgoing calls. If cell phone 1 is away from home, then outgoing calls will automatically go out through cell phone 2.

Option 2 - If you add some complexity with an OBi110, then you can use the Xlink as its "landline" and have a voip service as incoming on the ported landline number. This can also be set up as a simple "Trunk Group" with the Xlink / cell phone as first choice line, when that is missing calls automatically fail over to the voip service. It's added complexity, but you get all the OBi call screening functions etc.

Good luck. I've just set up something similar for my mother. She is presently using a normal phone connected to a cell phone, but does not know that - cell phone is hidden under dressing table and permanently on charge   :)

QBZappy

Quote from: Rick on November 07, 2013, 07:35:07 AM
Option 2:

... Downside, outgoing calls will show to people as the cell number instead of their home number, but that's the way it's been for years as all long distance went via the cell (and it's number is blocked).

Voipms and a few other select providers offer the ability to spoof a tel number. It is conceivable to set up a call from the cell and the OBi ATA both showing the same CID.

As Ian mentioned the Xlink can be used in combination with the OBi.

I have elderly parents who spend the winter in Florida. I have considered in the past to set up an wireless sip camera. I have a couple of them here and they work very well. This model is about the cost of a webcam ( http://www.grandstream.com/index.php/products/ip-video-surveillance/gxv3615wp_hd )and can be connected to any service provider or the OBi. $88.99 at http://www.voipbaez.com/grandstream-gxv3615w-cube-ip-camera-wifi. With these cams you will be able to see them but they can not see you.

Another idea I had was to get my hands on a cheap android smart phone with built in camera. You could have it permanently set up on a wall. Set it up with a sip app, and use it like an extension. With this approach you can see each other, and it is probably cheaper to boot as used smart phones are easy to get. This makes for a good security camera for the home as well.

Both ideas basically give you the ability of keeping an eye (and ear) on them using the wifi in the building. They can both be set up easily to auto answer with video when you call.

Good luck.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Rick

Turns out this place is wired internet, subscription via Comcast, only, no wifi.  Just learned that minutes ago.

I also realized that forwarding from any VoIP provider involves both an incoming minute AND an outgoing minute being used.  Hadn't thought that one through. 

I could also go the GV route for their incoming calls, port the number for $20 via a stop at a cheap cell, and then forward GV to their cell. 

Any way I do it, if I forward their home number to their cell incoming calls will be free because the home number is in our "friends and family" plan.  If I then put all calls through the VoIP provider or GV by programming that in to their saved numbers on their phone, I could make those calls free on the cell too (assuming they didn't just dial them on their own).

The facility is literally 3 miles away, so I don't know that video would be needed, but very good advice.  I appreciate the "Good luck" wishes also.

Rick

I think I'm going to start with just porting their home number over to their cell line, which we're under contract to keep until the middle of next summer.  We have plenty of minutes, so that's not an issue.  Then, we'll see how it goes.  I can always port it out again.

QBZappy

This might be something of interest if you plan to port the number to a cell. This unit is cheap (abt $32) and looks like a land-line phone making it easy to use and understand for the elderly.

Wireless GSM Desk Phone - Quadband, SMS function
http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Cheap_Mobile_Phones/Cell_Phones/GSM_Desktop_Phone-Wireless_Desktop_Phone
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Rick

Thanks, but it's Verizon  ;)

They have a 2 handset wireless phone with base station answering machine.  I will plug it into the XLink, connect the cell, and viola.  Answering machine works as it always did, phone works as it always did.  The only difference is they don't have to use the cell for long distance since that's already what they are doing without realizing it. 

Rick

Quote from: ianobi on November 07, 2013, 09:05:41 AM
Option 1 - Get a cheap cell phone and connect to the XLink button 2. Port their existing landline number to it. Put the phone out of the way up on a shelf, maybe on permanent charge. Now you have a permanent incoming service and the answerphone will always work. The original cell phone connected to button 1 will be first choice for outgoing calls. If cell phone 1 is away from home, then outgoing calls will automatically go out through cell phone 2.

Option 2 - If you add some complexity with an OBi110, then you can use the Xlink as its "landline" and have a voip service as incoming on the ported landline number. This can also be set up as a simple "Trunk Group" with the Xlink / cell phone as first choice line, when that is missing calls automatically fail over to the voip service. It's added complexity, but you get all the OBi call screening functions etc.

Good luck. I've just set up something similar for my mother. She is presently using a normal phone connected to a cell phone, but does not know that - cell phone is hidden under dressing table and permanently on charge   :)

So here's an issue I've come across, which I did find a reference to on an Amazon review.

A call comes in on the cell phone.  It's not answered due to the person hanging up or whatever.  Regardless, the cell sees a "missed call" and displays that on the screen.  The linked phone can receive calls all night long, but cannot make a call until you clear the screen on the cell where it currently says "Missed Call.  View Now, View Later".

So how does this work with a cellphone under the dresser?    ;)

ianobi

Rick,

I think that this depends on how "smart" the linked cell phone is. My Mother's setup uses a really dumb old HP phone found in the back of a draw. It only has 3G and Bluetooth. My Mother misses many calls as she does not hear well – she needs to see the flashing strobe light on the phone to see an incoming call. For the past six months this setup has worked fine, she can still make outgoing calls. I will visit next weekend and have a look under the dresser to see what the HP phone is displaying.

I have two OBi110's here for my setup. One of them uses Xlink and a very old dumb Nokia phone as a landline. I've just tested it calling in twice and not answering. It registered two missed calls. Then I tried calling out using my OBi connected phone through the Xlink and linked cell phone – it worked fine.

If you choose to use the Xlink idea as part of a Trunk Group, then check the "toggle battery" setting in "Advanced Settings" and the Xlink will remove the battery feed to the OBi when no cell phones are connected to it. The OBi sees this instantly and will fail over to the next service provider in the Trunk Group. A simple Trunk Group such as:

TrunkList: li,sp1

Would mean that all calls go out through the Xlink/cell phone until the cell phone is removed, then OBi will direct the calls through sp1. In this case I'm assuming that you ported their original number onto sp1, so all incoming calls come in that way regardless of whether or not the cell phone is there.

Rick

It's a very dumb phone, an LG VX5400 made for Verizon.  I cannot find any way to disable the message, and have sent an email to LG support.

Because they have no wired internet connectivity, I haven't considered an OBi.  Today I'm going to take a reading of their WiFi speed, I did run a test prior but want to do it in the room the device would be in.   As I recall, it was around 4 both up and down.

I'm very hesitant to introduce technology into the environment that might be quirky, I don't want support going on and on...  I might just focus on getting them to understand to make a call (they don't make many) they have to get the message to go away by pressing OK or End (I will see today if End works).

I ported their home number to the cell.

ianobi

I agree - keep it as simple as possible.

These type of threads throw up some interesting ideas. I see more than 300 people have read it so far, it may well have helped others with similar projects.

Rick

I checked this morning and the WiFi signal is inadequate in their room, so either it's keep it this way and they figure it out or we add wired internet and an OBi.

ianobi

How about finding a different dumb cell phone. I find friends and family have them sitting around doing nothing after they have upgraded to something "smarter".

Any dumb cell phone that just gives you "missed message" with no choices / user input would do.

Rick

Right, that's an option.  I'm waiting to see if LG responds that it can be disabled somehow.  We sell all of our old phones so I have no inventory to pick from. 

sdb-

It does sound like adding an OBi may be more than they need, both tech and failure points.

Do they already have favorite landline phone(s) they want to use?

If not, why go further?

Is using the cell phone directly a problem?

If it is, perhaps a simple 'landline' phone that can link to the cellphone would work better without needing the added complexity of the OBi?  (E.g. many panasonic DECT cordless phones.)

Rick

Quote from: sdb- on December 03, 2013, 07:45:07 AM
It does sound like adding an OBi may be more than they need, both tech and failure points.

Do they already have favorite landline phone(s) they want to use?

If not, why go further?

Is using the cell phone directly a problem?

If it is, perhaps a simple 'landline' phone that can link to the cellphone would work better without needing the added complexity of the OBi?  (E.g. many panasonic DECT cordless phones.)

That's exactly what I have in place, is a simple landline phone connected to the cell via Bluetooth...  The problem is that THIS cell requires clearing of a "missed call" message before you can make an outgoing call, whereas some others apparently do not.

Turns out we have to move them to a different facility so I will be checking WiFi signal strength there for a possible OBi solution.

MikeHObi

invest in a wifi router/access point so you can add your own wifi to the area.  I don't know about your family but my mother is in a place similar to assisted living.  with wifi available it made other benefits for her.  i.e. easily could install a roku for access to netflix.  cell over wifi with t-mobile, possibility to use a laptop or tablet.

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

You should see if you can talk customer service at Verizon into switching them to Home Phone Connect.  It could be less expensive in the long run and it works just like a home phone.  It depends on the terms of the contract but they might do the switch for free.  Even if there was an early termination fee they are usually based on length of contract remaining.  Even with that fee it might be cheaper and less of a hassle to switch to Home Phone Connect. It starts at around $19.99 per month with unlimited nationwide calling.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Rick

Thanks.  I looked into it prior but the reviews were poor.

They've been using this for a week now and seem to have it figured out.  We'll see.

WiFi in their unit is too weak even to have an access point I think, plus I have no idea of the reliability of their network.  They no nothing about it.