News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New Obi100 doesn't work, phone light stays off.

Started by jakefrey, November 07, 2013, 09:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakefrey

I recently got another obi after having one for a few years working with GV beautifully.

With my new Obi100, after following the setup instructions, it says on the device configuration page "Connecting to 67.4294967255.65.4294967170" and it stays that way and I cant make or receive calls. The phone light stays off.
I got my IP by dialing **1
I also ran the **9 222222222 test, and got echo's of my voice.
I am also able to log directly into the device.
when I reboot the device or unplug and replug, the phone light flashes on for a few seconds then goes off.
the Obi is plugged into a switch on a network with about 10 other devices printers, pc's and the like. I've logged in and out of my obitalk account and added, deleted and re-added the device multiple times. Anybody have suggestions?

jakefrey

I opened a support Ticket for this issue. and I was eventually told that the problem was caused by my use of opendns. Tech support suggested I stop using Opendns (thanks for the suggestion). A search in these forums did not reveal a solution but on opendns forums there was this gem:

The OBi and OBiTalk utilize Google Voice and you will need to whitelist the following domains to ensure our service works with your OBi service :

Allow Google Chat

xmpp-server.l.google.com
chatenabled.mail.google.com
talkgadget.google.com
talk.google.com
talks.l.google.com
l.google.com

Allow Google Talk

talkx.l.google.com
talk.l.google.com
talk.google.com

Hopefully this will resolve the issue. I will first try to allow the chat category and see If that works. otherwise we'll have to do it one by one.

gderf

I'm going to guess that you are using your OBi on your LAN, it gets it's IP, gateway, and DNS via DHCP, you are specifying openDNS servers in your router, and your OBi will not function properly using openDNS. Is that it?

If so, you could just overide the DHCP assigned DNS in your OBi with one or two manual entries for either your ISP's DNS or some free ones like those of Level3: 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3

Or is there some advantage of using openDNS on your OBi?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.