News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

POTS adapter

Started by steve54301, November 09, 2013, 09:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve54301

I really liked what Obihia had going with google voice.  I often wondered if it was a cooperative effort between them and google.

I'd like to see an adapter that can still work after May of next year when XMPP ends.

I wonder how feasible it would be for a future adapter to run android.  And then the user who buys it, can go to google play and purchase an app authored by google.  This way it wouldn't be a third party application, and google who provides the service would have more control over the end user application, since they will have authored it.

Obihia, please look into a working relationship with google.  Users will buy your hardware.  Thank you.

QBZappy

@steve54301

Any wireless android smart phone will do today what you are asking for. Also consider that this can be accomplished without the use of an Obi. The used market for droid smart phones is growing every day as newer models are introduced. Consider that you can even get a DID number from Republic Wireless (no contract) with unlimited use for $5/mo (wifi only). At this price point we should consider Wireless Republic as a competitor with other voip service providers like CC.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dircom

please let me know when the call quality of a cell phone is better than a landline (POTS or Voip)
I worked in a call center for three years, and Pots was usually the best, then Voip, then Cell

granted a pots line can have a short, ground, cross or foreign battery on the line
and voip can suffer from packet loss or delay
but cell phones were usually the worst quality

QBZappy

@dircom

Quote from: dircom on November 09, 2013, 12:47:38 PM
please let me know when the call quality of a cell phone is better than a landline (POTS or Voip)
I worked in a call center for three years, and Pots was usually the best, then Voip, then Cell

Comparing the OBi wifi dongle or even a wired OBi to a service such as Wireless Republic on wifi, I would expect similar quality. At $5/mo (wifi only) including 911 (I believe) it is hard to beat. If you choose the more expensive Wireless Republic service which includes 3G you get the added benefit of cell coverage. To be fair we would need to compare the call only while using a wifi connection only. The added convenience of cellular service comes with a cost of perhaps having a lower quality call on 3G. AFAIK the OBi has no 3G dongle to make a comparison.

I think Wireless Republic with their android phones is a serious competitor to voip service providers. Think of the phone like the cost of buying an ATA. I wish my OBi could let me do everything that an android phone can do. Tablets like smart phones are good at consuming media. A sip call is another way to consume media.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dircom

suggest Obi "210x"
Pots + 4 voip + sim card
= versatile ata

giqcass

I've been with Republic wireless for a while.  Cell calls go over the Sprint network.  They are not VOIP.  Wifi calls are VOIP.  I have been happy with both.

OBi does not need a version that incorporates a sim card because the OVI20X series can attach to any Bluetooth phone with the bt adapter.

If we were to consider Republic Wireless as an alternative then we must also consider "freedom phone" from FreedomPop.  With this service all calls are VOIP using Cellular data.  They give you 200 minutes free calling per month.  You can pay for extra.
Long live our new ObiLords!

steve54301

@QBZappy

Why would I be posting on the obi board for a smart phone feature request?  I am asking for a POTS adapter, not a smart phone app.

I suggested it be a generic box with an ethernet port and a RJ-11 port.  Something with no firmware on it, possibly running an Android OS.

Google apparently doesn't like the present 3rd party applications that use XMPP like the Obi100 and Obi110, as they state that is part of the reason for killing off the support.

I am suggest letting them (google) control the application layer.  Something where you buy a new generic obi adapter, and point it to google play to get THEIR app.

Believe it or not, there is a market for cheap POTS service for those who infrequently use a land line, and don't want to pay upwards of $40/mo for service from traditional telco.

Google voice with the Obi100/110 is feature rich.  The next most economical is the Magic Jack at $30/yr.  Most people would likely be willing to pay double that yearly for continued google voice with the Obi100/110.

Quote from: QBZappy on November 09, 2013, 12:18:31 PM
@steve54301

Any wireless android smart phone will do today what you are asking for. Also consider that this can be accomplished without the use of an Obi. <snip>

giqcass

The objection Google has is not about using 3rd party apps it's about how they use Google Voice to connect.  They want phones to use the phone number during call placement.  We were talking about just using an old Android phone without service and the BT adapter here.  If we can get it working then it will do what you want it to do.

Long live our new ObiLords!

steve54301

An interesting thread, thanks.  I have interest in the bluetooth adapter anyway.

From: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106636280351174936240/posts/MjyncJEbzxK
QuoteThere are a few third-party applications that provide calling and SMS services by making unauthorized use of Google Voice. These apps violate our Terms of Service and pose a threat to your security, so we're notifying these app developers that they must stop making unauthorized use of Google Voice to run their services and transition users by May 15, 2014. 

I don't really believe it myself.