News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

New OBi202 + OBiLine for us, OBi110 will go to parents

Started by Sophia, November 11, 2013, 03:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia

Good news  ;D We finally got rid of Skype, and have been happily using the OBi110 with Google Voice and FreePhoneLine for a while now. Works like a charm!

In order to still be able to call oversees for free, we just ordered the OBi202 + ObiLine for ourselves, so that the OBi110 can go to my elderly parents in Holland.

I have a few questions, and I know you fine people here know everything  :-*

1. I will definitely maintain the 110. What is better, to keep two separate accounts, one for my parents and one for our own 202, or would you recommend I just add the 202 to my existing account?

2. Thanks to you all, our 110 is set up to perfection. Local calls and free 1800 numbers are routed through our landline, long distance and international through Google Voice. Can I use the same line setup with the new 202 and the ObiLine addon?

3. I know this probably sounds dumb, but how do we call 110 to 202 directly?

4. Does the 110 need to be changed in any way to work in Europe, or would it work out of the box? I plan to set it up fairly similarly for my parents, all national calls are done via their landline and to Canada here using VOIP.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions soon but this'll do for now :)

gderf

Quote from: Sophia on November 11, 2013, 03:33:31 PM
3. I know this probably sounds dumb, but how do we call 110 to 202 directly?

Look on the bottom of your OBi and you will see the nine digit OBi number for the device. The number is also available in your OBi dashboard.

To call it from another OBi just dial 9 and then the number.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Sophia

Thanks, I knew it would be easy :D

So really my most pressing other question is: should I add both Obi devices on one account, or two separate ones? Pros? Cons?

110 will be used in Holland,
202 will be used in Canada,

Mostly used for calling between each other (plus making 3rd party VOIP calls, obviously)

carl

Your Obi will work in the Netherlands the same way as in the US, both with Google Voice ( for the time being) and with any SIP provider. Off course, you have to dial the same way as if you were in the US, unless you want to change the dial plan.

sdb-

If your OBi110 is set up to use google voice, the OBi202 needs to use a different GV account.

Settings for the LINE port may need to be changed if it will be connected to an NL phone line.  Ring and other tone recognition, call progress control, etc. are areas to examine.

Settings for the PHONE port may need to be changed to work with an NL phone.  Ring voltage, frequency and waveform are likely candidates.  Also the various tone patterns (dialtone, busy tone, etc) are by default those typically used in north america, not NL.

Unfortunately, while I know there are differences, I do not know the details of those differences nor do I know what would be required or preferred in NL.

ianobi

Sophia,

1. If you have the 110 and 202 in the same account, then both devices and their softphone numbers will be in each others' "Circle of Trust" (Even though this does not show under the "Circle of Trust" menu item). This might be what you want, but probably not. Every time you call each other you will get the auto attendant. I would have separate accounts and set up your own "Circle of Trust" as required.

2. Yes, but you may need to take care to define which service is the Primary Line, the one you need no ** codes to dial.

3. Any OBi can call any other OBi directly – dial **9 followed by the nine digit number of the OBi device.

4. This takes some thought. I'm guessing that you want the landline to be the Primary Line so that your parents can carry on dialling their local and Holland national numbers as they do now. This will mean adapting the Line Port DigitMap to suit the local dialling formats. Also, local emergency numbers need to be changed from 911; probably to 112? GV and voip should be ok as set up, but may need to dial ** codes to access them, or set up automatic routing via the Primary Line – more details needed of how your parents will be dialling.

There will be some other minor changes need for Holland to suit the landline. CallerIDDetectMethod and a few other items may need to change, but they should not stop the OBi working – it's just fine tuning.

Good luck! Let us know more details and we should be able to sort out digit maps etc.

Edit - written before seeing sdb's post, so some duplication!

Sophia

Thanks so much for all your replies, much appreciated!!

That's exactly what I needed to know, I will definitely set up the two accounts - you are quite right we don't want to be in each other's "circles of trust", not when it comes to Obi anyway lol!

I already set up a GV account for them, after April we'll just pick whatever VOIP is convenient. By that time Google might have loosened up, hopefully :)

You're right about the 911, that should indeed be 112!

Currently, our Canadian LINE setup is like this (thanks to you all) :)

Quote([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|<1:>250xxxxxxx|1800xxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|1877xxxxxxx|1866xxxxxxx|1855xxxxxxx|1844xxxxxxx|1833xxxxxxx|1822xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

I was thinking my parent's setup could be quite a lot easier, any number they dial should be a landline call, EXCEPT numbers that start with 00 (international code), they should use the VOIP service.

Thanks for all your help, this forum is terrific :)

ianobi

It seems that geographic numbers in the Netherlands are all ten digits long, but non-geographic can be any length. I suggest this as a first attempt:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: PSTN Line
Voice Service > Auto Attendant > PrimaryLine: PSTN Line

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > DigitMap:
([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|112|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute:
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|112):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > DigitMap:
(<**1>00xx.S4|0[1-7]xxxxxxxx|xx.S4)

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General > DigitMap:
(00xx.)

All calls go to PSTN Line except calls starting with "00" which automatically route through sp1. This is very "bare bones" and may need changing depending on how your parents like to dial and the actual voip provider.

Some nerdy info here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1415.msg15740#msg15740

Rick

You can also take the easy way out.  Leave their phone setup alone.  Add the OBi connected to the internet with a "International Phone" plugged into it.  No dialing rules, nothing.

Sophia

Thanks, you both :) Our own 202 will arrive on Monday, after that I'll be able to monkey with the 110. I think I'll try to set it up with their current phones first instead of buying a separate handset, since that is the whole beauty of the 110 :) I have asked many difficult questions here in the past and so far, they were all answered... so I'm not too afraid to try that first  ;D

ianobi, it is true that all numbers have 10 digits, except local calls within their town, they are 6 digits long (some towns 7 but that is not relevant here). So I'd almost reverse what you said: any number with 10 or less digits should use PSTN and the rest should be routed through their VOIP (GV, until April, after that we'll find something).

Sophia

YAY, our 202 and ObiLine arrived already :D I'm setting it up now, and of course I have questions :D

Can I use the same LINE digitMap that I used on the 110? Currently it says

Quote(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)

and our previous set up was

Quote([2-9]11S0|<250>[2-9]xxxxxx|250xxxxxxx|<1:>250xxxxxxx|1800xxxxxxx|188xxxxxxxx|1877xxxxxxx|1866xxxxxxx|1855xxxxxxx|1844xxxxxxx|1833xxxxxxx|1822xxxxxxx|<**1>1[2-79]xxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

What we like to do is dial any 7 digit number or numbers that start with 250 and the free numbers using the landline,
The rest goes through SP1.
Truth be told we'd rather not dial ## first, is that possible?

As always: thanks!

ianobi

OBi110 - I would stay with this Line Port DigitMap unless you can be more specific about the local six digit number range:

The rule xx.S4 will pick up the six digit numbers, but will add a four second delay to dialling. The aim of all digit maps is to get an exact match with the number format so dialling delays are kept to a minimum.

OBi202 - I don't have an OBi202. Has the latest firmware given you the option to set:
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Ports 1/2 > PrimaryLine: PSTN Line

If that is so, then you should have no problem simply transferring your original OBi110 setup onto your OBi202. If not, then let me know and I'll post the "mirror image" setup of sp1 as the Primary line.

drgeoff

1.  Check the label on the US OBi110 power supply that it is OK for 220 volts.  (I expect it is but as my OBi came with a UK PSU, looking at it doesn't tell me what range a US one handles.)  You will need an adaptor for the different pin type but that should be easy to obtain in Holland.

2.  I believe the reply earlier about calling the other OBi by dialling 9 followed by its OBi number is incorrect.  Unless the digit maps have been otherwise crafted you need to prefix with **9.

3.  CLI signalling is different in Europe.  Try setting to ETSI, v.23 and before before first ring.

4.  Line impedance and levels are likely different too but won't be a show-stopper if incorrect.  However, if echo levels are a problem you may get better results by using values closer to the proper ones for the PSTN line in Holland (if connected to the 110) and the phone instrument.

Sophia

This is fun :D ianobi, so far it seems that the LINE setup of our old 110 works with the 202 flawlessly - yes it is possible to set primary line to PSTN :) I haven't changed anything else, it just seems to work. So that leaves only the 110 to set up :D

Ok I have edited the PHONE Port > DigitMap and PHONE Port > OutboundCallRoute to reflect the 112 emergency number instead of 911.

I have also set the Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > DigitMap to
As suggested. However I'm puzzled about the 4 second delay, what information do you need to prevent that?
As far as I know, all local numbers in their town start with either 4 or 5 and are exactly 6 digits long.
Long distance calls are all 10 digits and all start with a single 0.
I'm not entirely sure about toll free numbers, I've been away for so many years and the Dutch changed their system significantly too. As far as I know, they fall under the general rule as well (10 digits starting with a single 0)
International numbers can be of any length and start with 00.

drgeoff, thanks for the additional information! Funny enough I purchased the OBi110 from Amazon UK originally and it came with a UK power supply. I guess that means the voltage difference won't matter :)

I'm not sure where to set ETSI to v.23, remember I'm only a dummy and I need to be held by the hand with every step. My knowledge stretches to what I wish to do with the OBi but no further, haha! :D

As for your 4th point, that worries me slightly because I won't be able to set it up for my parents in person until the spring. I was planning on setting it up for them here in Canada and ship it over to ask a friend of theirs to hook it up to their system, but I don't want them to worry about echo levels etc... they are almost 80 and they barely manage to dial a number  :P

Oh, just had another thought, I might be overthinking this. But if they dial 001250etc (our number), it should go through VOIP. But obviously GV does not use 001, you just dial 1250etc here, I guess it would be the same in Europe?
Another edit: I tried to test this with the OBi110, I dialled a number as if I was in Europe (001someUS#) and Google Voice told me "the number cannot be completed as dialled". Meaning, if my parents dial 001something, it should probably be sent to OBi as 1something.
Ack, this thing is getting complicated!

Sophia

Ok, how about trying to simplify this :D

ALL calls of any digit length should be done through PSTN, except
Numbers starting with 001etc,
They should use SP1 but dial it as 1etc. (because SP1 is Google Voice)

Would that be easier to set up?  :-[

ianobi

Easy is always nice, but digit maps work better and faster if we can achieve exact matches. I think we are almost there    :)

This should work pretty well:

(<**1>00xx.S4|0[1-7]xxxxxxxxS0|[45]xxxxxS0|xx.S4)

Service Providers > ITSP Profile A > General > DigitMap:
(<00:>1xxxxxxxxxx|00xx.)

001 followed by ten digits has the leading "00" removed then routes to sp1.
0 followed by ten digits, second digit 1 to 7, routes to PSTN with no delay.
4 or 5 followed by five digits routes to PSTN with no delay.
Anything else goes to PSTN with four seconds delay.

When GV stops functioning with OBi, then the first rule in the ITSP Profile A DigitMap needs deleting, leaving only "00xx." This is because most other voip providers expect to see the full international number. Or, if you abandon voip for your parents, then delete the first rule in the Line Port DigitMap and replace with "00xx."

I would not worry too much with other settings just now, except I would change these:

Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > RingDelay: from 4000 to 0
Physical Interfaces > LINE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDDetectMethod to FSK(V.23)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDMethod to FSK(V.23)
Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > Port Settings > CallerIDTrigger to Before First Ring

Sophia

Whoo hoooo I think that did the trick, as far as I can test it here. I dialled 001number and it used GV, I tried some random other numbers and got the error message that Obi is not configured correctly (which makes sense, there is no LINE connected right now). I actually set up CallCentric as their SP2, though we'll keep using GV until Google cancels the XMPP service.
Can't wait to test it out for real, will report back but that'll probably have to wait a while :)

THANKS ianobi and others, you have been truly helpful and patient, Obi should pay you a royal salary  ;D

Sophia

Not sure if I should open a new thread or add to to this one: we have a very strange problem  :-\

As per this thread, we set up the OBi202 up exactly as the 110, we set up full duplex on both for example and the very same outbound LINE settings.
However, the 202 is giving a terrible echo on our end, our own voice is echoed right back to us on 80% of all the calls (both landline & VOIP, almost all received calls and more than half the outgoing calls).

To test, I put back the 110 for the time being and all echoes have disappeared instantly. Is there a known problem with the 202?

Another (minor) problem: the 110 works even when it's not connected to the router, obviously I'm talking about landline only. However the 202 absolutely requires the Internet even for the landline. This is rather unacceptable because our Internet connection is rather unreliable, living out in the mountains.

Right now I have a good mind to count our losses and order another 110, but would there be a solution to get the 202 to work echo free?

Sophia

Ok, after a few days I can absolutely confirm that it's the 202 that is giving the troubles, not a shadow of an echo on the 110. Do you guys think the 202 is a faulty device, should I contact the reseller or Obihai direct?  ???

ianobi

With that sort of evidence I would start with Obihai. Submit a ticket:

http://www.obihai.com/supportTicketForm2.php

Or try "OBi Support Chat" if you see them on line (green cloud at bottom of menu options on OBi Dashboard page).