News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

HOWTO: Configure OBI110 to work with alldav.com DTMF to pulse converter

Started by monemmer, March 23, 2013, 03:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monemmer

I purchased a tone to pulse converter to connect my Western Electric 302 rotary phone to my OBI110. In particular, I bought the Pulse to Tone (DTMF) converter [P2Tv2] from alldav.com.

Initially this setup did not work, I could not get the OBI110 to understand the DTMF signals emitted by the adapter. However after changing a setting in the OBI110 device configuration, things now work. Specifically, the setting I changed is under Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> DTMFRxMode. I changed this setting from Hardware (the default) to Software which made things work.

I thought I'd share this to save other people some frustration.

Felix

Thanks! Anybody who needs to support a rotary phone; especially Western Electric 302 model (manufactured from 1936 until production of entirely new units ceased about 1954) should read this post!

Ruslan

Can this adapter be used on the other line - at PSTN telco line?
My friend's PSTN in another country is still pulse PSTN with with no option to upgrade to DTMF.
Is any setting like you mentioned above should be changed as well?

Thanks!

zapattack

The adapter is used on a phone, not a line.
This allows an old (pulse) phone to become compatible with most modern (tone) ATAs such
as the OBi which do not recognize pulse dialing on the Phone Jack.

Ruslan

My situation is opposite:
- Modern phone that do DTMF;
- Old PBX that understands pulse only.

So I am looking for this type of device. That sits not between phone and Obi,
but on line between Obi and OBX.

Thanks!