News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help: Can the OBi110 and Ooma be used together (Looking for low cost GV Alt.)

Started by ooma, November 15, 2013, 05:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ooma

Now that GV will no longer be supported by OBi due GV turning off XMPP support I will no longer be able to do what has worked in the past for free. With that said I need some advice to help me solve the problem I will encounter in the near future. With that said without Google Voice, I'm trying to figure out a new low cost solution to make free international calls to relatives outside the US and also have a low cost/free unlimited phone service in the US using a single phone. After looking around the best deal I could find for unlimited US calling was using the "Ooma" which would cost a fee of $3.50 per month in tax's that include e911 service. I did look at "CallWithUs" but it cost $3.50 for a phone number which includes 3000 minutes worth of inbound call and 1 cent per minute rate for outbound US calls, and then e911 will cost $1.25. Even though Ooma is more expensive for the hardware, I figure it will pay for itself in the long run. So I'm thinking about connecting an Ooma and OBi110 together in my home in the US and having an OBi100 installed at my relative's house which is located outside of the US.

What I'd like to accomplish using a single house phone (Connecting both the Ooma and Obi110 to the same line). Is this possible?
1)   Using my only home phone I would like to be able to use the OBi110 to dial the OBiTalk **9  #########  to reach my relatives outside the US by using a the free OBi to OBi calling.
2)   Using my only home phone I would like to be able to call US numbers from my Ooma service.
3)   I would like my like my relatives outside the US to access my OBi110 to bridge phone calls to my  Ooma so they can call other family member that live in the US.
4)   I don't know if this is possible but can you use Ooma to bridge a call to the OBi. (Basically call my Ooma house # then access my OBi so I can make a **9 ######### call?)

I could see this working if both the Ooma and OBi110 are connected to my house using the phone ports, but I think I would hear two dial tones one from the Ooma and another from the OBi110, which I think would cause issues! But if the Ooma is the connected to my house on the phone port and the OBi110 is connected to my house phone system using the line port it would not have a dual dial tone. However, I don't think the line port would listen for **9 ######### OBi to OBi calls.
To me it seems like the easiest solution would to be to go with CallWithUs which would give access OBi Attendant, but the cheapest solution I feel would be the Ooma + OBi110 option.

I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions based on what I'd like to accomplish and let me know if the ooma + OBi110 setup I'm considering is even possible. If it is not please feel free to share your idea's or any other low cost solution you might consider when GV service is cut off for good.