News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to make both PH and PH2 ring *ONLY* if both lines are in an "On Hook" state?

Started by Dazzlin, December 09, 2013, 09:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dazzlin

Given up trying to search for this one guys!

I won't bore you with my set up, but long story short is that on both of my providers set up to ring to independent ports: SP1 = PH and SP2 = PH2. Simple.

Now, what I want to try and do:

When it comes to SP2 I want to try and set things to say "If I get a call come in AND if port 1 is in a "on-hook" state, it will ring both ports at the same time (PH & PH2). If not, ring PH2 only.

For any Excel geeks out there, essentially the script I am trying to write is kinda like:

=IF(Ph State="OnHook",[Ring Ph & Ph2],[Ring Ph2])

Or, if you're not Excel minded, "If Ph State is "OnHook", Then Ring Ph & Ph2, If NOT Ring Ph2"

This is because I'm in a place with 2-line telephones and, other than how it's currently set up, it get's a little annoying hearing the call-waiting beep when you're on a call AND having line 2 ring as well.

Anyways, I can't figure out how to do this. I suspected it was using the "If Busy ring Dial..." feature, but then I wondered if line 1 was really considered to be busy as, even though it's on a call, it's kinda not busy as it can call-wait and beep in your ear.

Anyways, any help and assistance is appreciated.

Thanks so much all :)

SO....

Usetheforceobiwan

You might want to look at your ITSP's options for call handling if the DID is busy.  You may be able to divert to the second ITSP via URI redirect.

Dazzlin

Hey Usetheforceobiwan,

Thanks for the reply. See, that's still the same 'kinda' concern... If a call comes in, is PH really "busy" per-say? Because, in a similar way, as long as you haven't reached the maximum number of calls that line can handle (2 normally), it would still try to ring through I would imagine...

That's kinda the reason I had the "if state of PH is on-hook, then ring" kinda idea...

Thanks for the feedback though...

I would imagine there must me a Excel-similar string I can put in the "X_InboundCallRoute" box somehow... At the moment I already have that set up as if to say "If the callers number is less than 7 digits long, deny the call, if not ring ph" (This was done to put a stop to the SIP Hacker-Calls...)

That dial string is {(x|xx|xxx|xxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx):},{ph}

There is a way... I just don't know it ;)

QBZappy

@Dazzlin

Did you try setting Ph1 to MaxSessions = 1 to avoid the 2nd call making announcement beep.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Dazzlin

Hey QBZappy,

Thanks for the reply. Good idea - but I still want to be able to have 2 sessions on that line as it's a more frequently used service.

LOL - I kinda feel like a petulant child saying "I want it my way! Waaa!"...

I guess it's more the feeling of accomplishment if we can figure if this can be done ;)

As an idea, does anyone know if there is a particular code or terminology for "On Hook" state. PH = Line 1, SP1 = Service Provider 1, etc... I wonder if there is a way to describe "On Hook" or "Off Hook" so we can piece a string together ourselves...?

Hmm...

Usetheforceobiwan

You might want to try a combo of what I suggested above and playing with the CallWaitingEnable setting in the Obi phone settings.  You can even switch it on and off via star codes to experiment: 

From the admin manual:  CallWaitingEnable - Enable call waiting service. Call Waiting is the situation where a new incoming call is routed to the PHONE port when there is already another call connected. If this service is enabled, OBi plays call-waiting tone to alert the user, as well as generates CWCID signal if CWCID is enabled. The user may then swap between the two calls by hook flashing. If the service is disabled, OBi rejects the incoming call as busy.
Note: It is possible for the user to set this parameter from the phone using a Star Code

QBZappy

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on December 09, 2013, 11:49:41 AM
From the admin manual:  CallWaitingEnable - Enable call waiting service. Call Waiting is the situation where a new incoming call is routed to the PHONE port when there is already another call connected. If this service is enabled, OBi plays call-waiting tone to alert the user, as well as generates CWCID signal if CWCID is enabled. The user may then swap between the two calls by hook flashing. If the service is disabled, OBi rejects the incoming call as busy.
Note: It is possible for the user to set this parameter from the phone using a Star Code

@Dazzlin
I think disabling Call waiting might do the trick. I had considered disabling the call waiting tone before as well. Also keep the Ph1 to MaxSessions = 2.

I know, I know, don't tell me you had your heart set on using a script.  :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Usetheforceobiwan

The reason I suggested you look at your ITSP settings, I know with Voip.ms in their DID Additonal Fallover Settings (which is hidden unless you expand it), you are able to redirect to various endpoints if the DID is busy, unreachable or does not answer within a specified time.    Those endpoint choices include a redirect to a uri dial.  If you were to go this route, you could control it by simply diabling call waiting via star codes on an as needed basis.

Dazzlin

Usetheforceobiwan/QBZappy:

Thanks for the reply guys. Unfortunately/Fortunately (depends how you look at things) my ITSP is FPL - so they're not all that (meaning at all) flexible on virtually ANYTHING... They kinda got a reasonable mentality of "It's free, use it if you want. If you don't, we're not bothered!"

As for the Call Waiting Settings - here's my only question: I think the theory of your idea is bang on and it should work, because if/when a call comes in PH(1) really will be 'busy' and will correctly roll over the call to PH2... At the same time, that will kinda defeat my objective - which is to allow PH(1) to function as 'normal'.

I am grateful though but, as you say, I kinda got my heart set on addressing the "On/Off Hook" means as the end to this...

Here's a few scenarios of what, exactly, I'm 'trying' to achieve (for the benefit of everyone though, I'm calling Ph as "Ph1" - makes it a little easier):

(1) Ph1 On Hook (No Active Call). SP1 Incoming Call = Ph1 Rings
(2) Ph1 Off Hook (Active Call). SP1 Incoming Call = Ph1 Call Waiting Beeps
(3) Ph1 On Hook. SP2 Incoming Call = Ph1 & Ph2 Rings
(4) Ph1 Off Hook. SP2 Incoming Call = Ph2 ONLY Rings
(5) Ph2 Off Hook but Ph1 On Hook. SP2 Incoming Call = Ph2 ONLY Call Waiting Beeps

I know this continues to present a challenge guys - so please don't think you're input is unappreciated. Anything we can collaborate on to try and get as close to this would be great :)

Thanks so much :D

QBZappy

Quote from: Dazzlin on December 09, 2013, 01:06:54 PM
At the same time, that will kinda defeat my objective - which is to allow PH(1) to function as 'normal'.
As for the Call Waiting Settings - here's my only question: I think the theory of your idea is bang on and it should work, because if/when a call comes in PH(1) really will be 'busy' and will correctly roll over the call to PH2... At the same time, that will kinda defeat my objective - which is to allow PH(1) to function as 'normal'.

The OBi does not do roll over. The OBi can only ring PH1 and/or PH2 or bridge a  call somewhere.

The CallWaitingEnable setting is at the phone port level. You can not specify it by SP. Therefore from what we have proposed you can not have it on and off at the same time under your best use case. However side stepping that limitation you can look at the Ring Settings->Ring Profile X and control the Call waiting tone at the SP level. You may be able to disable or fudge a tone pattern deliberately so that it will not beep for the SP of your choice.

BTW you may have missed some setting on the FPL control panel which might do what you need from that end. I happen to have a couple of accounts with them as well. Have you put some thought into these settings directly with FPL?

FPL Desktop App Settings panel "Follow Me Numbers"
Ring Mode: Sequential or Simultaneous
Follow Me Mode: Call forward when unavailable or Always callforward