News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[Solved] Need clarification on 'traveling with your Obi'...

Started by Robert.Thompson, November 17, 2013, 06:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

If I disconnect my fully setup and functioning Obi in Montreal and take it to, say, Florida on vacation where I connect it to a high-speed Internet connection, will it automatically work just as it did in Montreal, or, do I need to do some further setup?

Thanks,

Rob.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

dircom

yes, it will work
no you don't have to do anything else (besides connect it to the interweb)

Lavarock7

I am going to issue a guarded "yes".

Have you hardcoded your IP address into the unit (so that it gets the same IP address from your router), or did you just plug it into the internet and it worked? The unit by default picks up an IP address from the network if it is left in DHCP mode. Some people prefer the device has the same address every time and turn off DHCP, then assign a specific IP address to the unit.

If you have hardcoded the address AND that address is in use when you are traveling, you may not have reliable (or any) service.

You can dial ***3 and if it says DHCP ENABLED, then you should be able to plug it in another network without IP issues.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

hwittenb

More than likely it will work rigut off.  One difference could be the method you are attaching the OBi to the internet.  In other words if you are attaching to a router, sometimes routers cause problems that require some troubleshooting.  The point Lavarock7 makes about a static ip address vs DHCP is also valid.

gderf

It's more complicated than a hardcoded address possibly already being in use. The networks also have to match.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

dircom

I don't know what you mean "networks have to match"
I have traveled with my obi's and they work when I plug them in

gderf

If your OBi is set to receive an address via DHCP and the network you connect it to has a DHCP server, then your OBi can obtain an address all by itself and properly join the network.

But if your OBi has a statically assigned IP address, netmask, and gateway IP address, then the network you plug it into has to must also define the same network (a network address and netmask defines a network), and there must be a router on the network that has the same IP address as your statically assigned gateway IP address. If any of this does not match up your OBi will not connect to the network.

Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

Robert.Thompson

Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

Rick

I'd add another "it depends".

Many hotels and other "public" networks require the user to log in, i.e. using a browser you have to log into the free network, which you need a PC to do. 

And one more.

Many public networks, such as hotels, require you to log in every 24 hours.