News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GChat and Obi / GVoice config questions

Started by JGKos, November 21, 2013, 10:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGKos

I installed my Obi110 over a year ago, and it been running great using GVoice.  My questions pertains to GChat.

When I first installed this, I found out I needed to keep my GChat disabled within Gmail in order for it to work.  I now have a few friends on GChat that I would like to chat with through Gmail.

Has anything changed config wise in order for both of these services to work together at the same time?

Thanks
J

Usetheforceobiwan

Many people have suggested its not a good idea to have your primary gmail directly linked to your GV acct.  With this in mind, perhaps the best thing you could do is create another Gmail account and also another Google Voice account associated with that email. For that new account do not request a number.  Once you have another Google Voice account you can transfer the number from the account you use now to the new one.  It does not cost anything to establish a new Google Voice account or to transfer as it is not porting as conventionally known.    Look up at Google how to transfer a number from one account to another.  Its pretty easy...just don't request a new number when you set up the new GV account.

azrobert

You can test this yourself. Sign into Chat and then call your GV number. If the OBi rings your current setup is OK.

JGKos

Quote from: Usetheforceobiwan on November 21, 2013, 11:31:35 AM
Many people have suggested its not a good idea to have your primary gmail directly linked to your GV acct.  With this in mind, perhaps the best thing you could do is create another Gmail account and also another Google Voice account associated with that email. For that new account do not request a number.  Once you have another Google Voice account you can transfer the number from the account you use now to the new one.  It does not cost anything to establish a new Google Voice account or to transfer as it is not porting as conventionally known.    Look up at Google how to transfer a number from one account to another.  Its pretty easy...just don't request a new number when you set up the new GV account.

Awesome, that set-up sounds exactly like what I need.

Thanks

Usetheforceobiwan

If you transfer your number, you will still be able to place Google Voice calls through the web (maybe even through Groove IP) through the original account.  The caveat is you no longer have a GV phone number so the calls show up as whatever GV location they choose to use to connect the call.  And of course you no longer have a GV number to call you back on (for the originally associated account).