News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Which setup for BT integration in a house?

Started by wkearney99, November 22, 2013, 08:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkearney99

I'd like to know which Obihai product to consider for cordless phones in a house.  I'd like to have up to 10 handsets.  I'd also like to be able to handle answering calls for up 2-4 cell phones.  I only need one POTS line. 

I don't envision more than the cell phones and POTS line being active for calls at one time (as in, I don't need all 10 handsets to be able to make SIP calls at the same time).

I do need the ability to share a call across handsets, like to let the kids all talk to Grandma at the same time. 

I do like the idea of each handset being an extension, not just a 'party line' setup like typical cordless phones.  I'm fine with this possibly requiring 'dial 9' and the like to get an outside line.

What's the right way to approach this?

MikeHObi

You should be looking for a DECT 6.0 wireless phone system.  Companies like Uniden and vtech have systems that support a single base station and up to 12 handsets.  They also support bluetooth connectivity to cell phones.  Then you just use the Obi to bridge pots with SIP and connect to the wireless base.

This would give you a system that acts just like if your house was wired for 10 extensions.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

2 simultaneously connected Cell Phones is all an Obi can do.  Another issue is they may not be able to support 10 separate handsets. You will have to do a little research to find any system that does more then 2 simultaneous BT connections.  When you are looking be aware that many claim to pair with multiple cell phone but that does not mean they can be connected at the same time.  MikeHObi has the right idea.  A cordless base station only draws the power of one handset from the Obi no matter how many handsets are connected to it. 

Perhaps an Obi 200 or Obi 202 connected to a Cordless system with Link-to-Cell.  That would let you connect 2 cell phones to the cordless base station and allow you the option to add an additional 2 cell phones to the Obi with 2 BT adapters.  You may find it a little chaotic having 4 cell phones connected at once however.

Long live our new ObiLords!