News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

optimizing thrifty setups (replacing Google with Localphone, others)

Started by DieterProvisionen, November 22, 2013, 03:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zorlac

I may be wrong but it looks like these ultra cheap slick solutions wouldn't really be possible for my parents who want to port the Verizon POTS # they've had for 45yrs.  :'(
I've ordered them an obi100 & I'm still undecided as to which lower cost plan would be viable for them.

giqcass

Sorry I hadn't noticed the PM just yet.

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 01, 2014, 10:21:13 PM
My query that I hope Gigcass may reply to is that I already have a working IPKall # which (for now...) is used as a forwarder for GV and works as well as I would expect it to.

So, given that, would one do your suggested procedure differently to change a number like mine around - or would one abandon the existing number and start anew ??
If you want to forward the number to Localphone follow the setup as described starting at step 2.  If you are happy with your current IpKall configuration and it is ringing your Obi I see no reason to change it.  Instead of forwarding the IpKall number to Localphone I would leave it as it currently is.  Don't break what is working fine. I would simply create a Voice Gateway for Localphone so it can be used as an outbound only service.  Then I would set up Call Spoofing on Localphone for whatever phone number you want to appear when you dial out using Localphone.  I am unaware of Localphone charging anything for incoming calls unless you forward them to a real phone number instead of using an ATA device like the obi.  The US outgoing rate is .5 cents last I checked.

Quote from: vtsnaab on May 01, 2014, 10:21:13 PM
Also worthy of mention IMO is that after eading your sig several times I visited e164.org and then Sipbroker.
Most of the stuff there really does look a bit too complicated for me.
What really grabbed my attention the most at that Sipbroker site is that it is extremely dated and has a great many dead links posted all throughout the site.
One of those is http://www.voxalot.com - which gives only: 403 Error - Forbidden
And that one is one of it's associated sites...
You are correct many links are outdated but Sipbroker and e164.org are both very much alive and well.  One reason you might want to use Sipbroker and e164.org is if you want to allow people without a Sip phone to call you for free from their home phone.  One member on the forums here said his daughter uses sipbroker to call him.  For her his US phone number is long distance but Sipbroker provides numbers in Canada that she can dial as a local call.  She then can dial a virtual extension number to reach him for free.

e164.org is more of a directory type service.  I for instance registered my phone numbers there.  When someone calls me using a Sipbroker local access number it simplifies the process a little.  Since my phone numbers are all in the e164.org directory they can dial my real telephone number instead of some complicated string of numbers after calling the Sipbroker access number.  This allows people almost anywhere in the world to call me for the cost of a local call.

In addition some PBX devices support calling e164.org numbers.  When a number is dialed they check the directory to see if there is a free e164.org route.  If there is they bypass the regular telephone network and make a direct VOIP call.  If there isn't a free route they then dial the number on the regular PSTN network.

Hope that answers most of your questions.  Let us know if you have any other queries.  There is someone here that has knowledge about nearly anything you can think of.  This forum is a truly excellent resource.
Long live our new ObiLords!