News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi100 shows in use when connected to home phone wall plug

Started by xraywinedrinker, November 30, 2013, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xraywinedrinker

I have been using the obi100 for about 4 months. My setup is with GV and I use a phone splitter to connect one phone in the same room as the obi and the other connection goes to the phone wall outlet, allowing other phones in the house to ring. This setup has worked fine since it was installed but today noticed no dial tone on any phone. The obi showed the phone light flashing indicating in use but no phone was being used. I reset the obi and re-entered the device via the web portal. I can now connect a phone directly into the obi and make and receive calls but as soon as I connect a telephone line from an outlet, (even without the phone splitter) the obi starts flashing as in use.
Any thoughts or settings that need to be enabled?

giqcass

This sounds like a problem with the house wiring or one of the connected phones.  Unplug all phones from the house wiring.  Plug the Obi into the house wiring.  Check the Obi status.  If it is on hook plug one phone into the house wiring.  Check the Obi status.  Repeat until the Obi either goes off hook or all phones are connected.
Long live our new ObiLords!

xraywinedrinker

To isolate the in-house wiring from the outside I would like to first verify the line at the NID on the outside of the house. Since I no longer have landline service with AT&T, would the OBI show a solid green light on the phone jack or in use when plugged into the outside NID test jack?

gderf

When you plug something into a NID test jack, you are connecting it to the teleco wiring, not the house wiring.

The plug on the end of the short cable normally plugged into the test jack what is connected to the house wiring.

What are you plugging into what?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

xraywinedrinker

I'm trying to see if the problem is in the house. If I connect the OBI phone jack to the test jack outside and the OBI phone light is solid green then I know the issue is in the house.
I didn't know if AT&T could do anything at the outside box to have caused this sudden change.

xraywinedrinker

Since the other device I was trying to connect via the in house wiring was my Panasonic link2cell, I added a splitter on the OBI and connected the link2cell directly with my regular phone with answering machine and now all phones ring for incoming GV calls and the link2cell rings the satellite phones.