News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing route failover

Started by Gavo, November 13, 2013, 03:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavo

Hello,

I had an issue this morning calling an international mobile number. Turns out this was an issue with the carrier on SP2, so to get around this I dialled out of the provider registered on SP1 by simply dialling **1 then the number (SP1 brings in the DDI but SP2 are generally used for all outgoing calls).
However pretty certain that this can be automated on the OBi  (in this case a 202).

Any pointers as to how this can be achieved ?

Regards

Gavin

ianobi

The only way that I know to do this is by using Trunk Groups. If you set up Trunk Group 1 to be "sp2,sp1" and made Trunk Group 1 your Primary Line, then in theory if sp2 is unavailable, then calls would failover to sp1.

The problem here is that the OBi needs to know that sp2 is unavailable. If both of sp2's sessions are in use, then sp2 is unavailable because it is busy and calls would failover to sp1. This is a useful scenario if there's a lot of calls going on at the same time.

If you are looking at a failover in fault conditions, then the OBi only knows there is a problem on sp2 if registration fails and this can take quite a few minutes depending on the interval set for registration requests. Also, some faults will not call a registration failure.

Have a search around the forum for "Trunk Groups". RonR posted some interesting info about them.

I do use Trunk Groups and find them very useful in some circumstances.

dkr88

I'm confused... this seems like a trivial and common scenario. If the default outgoing provider is down, use the other outgoing provider.

As much as I would love to become a digit map / call route expert... can someone please explain in relatively simple terms how to do failover such that if SP1 isn't registered, SP2 will be used for outgoing calls?

ianobi

dkr88 - welcome to the forum.

A simple Trunk Group would work like this:

Physical Interfaces > PHONE Port > PrimaryLine: Trunk Group 1
Voice Service > Auto Attendant > PrimaryLine: Trunk Group 1

Voice Services > Gateways and Trunk Groups > Trunk Group1 >
TrunkList: sp1,sp2
DigitMap: ((Msp1)|(Msp2))

If sp1 registration is failed or if all sessions for sp1 are in use, then outgoing calls will pass over to sp2. Registration failure may take a few minutes to be detected by the OBi, so for a time it won't know that sp1 has failed. Most voip providers allow at least two sessions (calls) on each trunk, so if sp1 has two simultaneous calls ongoing, then a third call will then pass on to sp2.

For a call to failover to sp2 the DigitMap (Msp2) must match that call number format. If (Msp2) is the same as (Msp1), then that's not a problem. Also, if they are both the same, then the Trunk Group 1 DigitMap can be simply (Msp1).

If you set up a Trunk Group thought must be given to how 911 is routed. If 911 is routed from your Phone Port OutboundCallRoute, then there's no problem. Some users (including me) use a Trunk Group to provide a failover service for 911. This assumes that you have 911 service from more than one provider.

Incidentally, if you make your PrimaryLine Trunk Group 1, then the phone LED on the front of the OBi will only be on when the phone is in use.