News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

QoS and fixed IP address for Obi202

Started by BostonFern, October 07, 2013, 09:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonFern

My modem router is Trendnet 635.  I want to enable QoS on the IP address used by Obi202.   To enable QoS, trendnet asks me to specify a range of ip addresses.    My problem is that  the IP address for my Obi202 keeps on changing.

I've done the research on how to assign a fixed ip to Obi202 using TrentNet's  configuration program. I can't find where it is done.  Can all routers be configured to give individual device a fixed IP address?

Currently Trendnet's DHCP is currently turned on.  If I turned it off, and there is no other DHCP server, what would happen?   Does each individual device connect to the router need to supply their own IP address?   Is there any way that I have Obi202 to tell Trendnet what IP address it wants to use?  

Lavarock7

You can hardcode an OBI IP address that is not in use and protect it yourself by not assigning it to any other device. Assume for this discussion that your router uses 1.9.168.1.x where x is 1..255.

If your router says that it supplies DHCP addresses beginning at 100, then192.168.1.100 and up (to the DHCP limit) are assigned by the router to devices that do not have an IP and ask for one. There is an exception, explained in a minute.

So if you wanted to to assign a number that you like, such as 77, you could tell the OBI that it has a fixed IP of 192.168.1.77 and you would not assign that number to any other device.

In this example, hardcoding a fixed IP address in the OBI may require you to reconfigure it should you move it to another network somewhere which does not use the 192.168.1 subnet.

The second way t oconfigure the Obi IP is to use the DHCP. many routers allow you to take the MAC address (the hex grouping on the bottom of the OBI) and enter it along with an IP address that DHCP would assign whenever the OBI boots. No other device would get that address. With this configuration, only your local router is configured to assign an address to the OBI. If you were to take it to a friends house, you would have to choose one of these two options for his network (and his might be 192.168.0.x [0 instead of 1 in the 3rd octet]).

Once you know the IP address of the OBI is not going to change on a particular network, you can assign that IP or MAC to have priority for Quality Of Service QOS.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

BostonFern

Thank you, I just did what you wrote. 

I went to obi's configuration.  Under "WAN Status",  I  changed the AddressingType to static and IPAddress to 192.168.10.22, which is outside the range of my router's DHCP.   Router now shows my obi202 has this IP address.

I also modified the IP range for QoS to 192.168.10.22 to 192.168.10.22. 

My problem now is that I cannot make any outgoing call.   Every time I tried, I got this message "there is no service available to complete this call."  I've tried turning on/off both router and obi202, which didn't help.

I wonder I missed something.

Shale

Quote from: BostonFern on October 08, 2013, 01:31:10 AM
Thank you, I just did what you wrote. 

I went to obi's configuration.  Under "WAN Status",  I  changed the AddressingType to static and IPAddress to 192.168.10.22, which is outside the range of my router's DHCP.   Router now shows my obi202 has this IP address.

You will want the static address to be within your router's subnet. Either change your internet mask to 255.255.240.0 on your router and your OBi, or select an IP for the OBi that is within your current router's subnet.

If you don't follow, what is your router's IP, DHCP range, and subnet mask?

BostonFern

I'm having trouble understanding this. 

Currently my Trendnet router shows these for TCP/IP

IP address  192.168.10.1
subnet mask  255.255.255.0.   
DHCP enabled
start address 192.168.10.2
end address 192.169.10.20

Why is 192.168.10.22 outside of the router's subnet?

Shale

You're right; it's not. I did not expect that router address. You are probably not able to hit your modem's web page, but that does not cause your problem.

What you will want to do so you can access the OBi202 web pages, mainly to look at the call history is
Enable web access from the WAN for your OBi:
Let a comma represent a pause.
dial ***0,30#

After that, you should be able to access the OBi202 web pages at http://192.168.10.22 with your setup.

(I think you meant to write end address 192.168.10.20 )

BostonFern

I finally got a chance to check the call history.   

I just made the same modification to assign a fixed ip address using obi202 device management web page.  The exact steps are described in my earlier posts.   Then I got exactly the same problem "there is no service available to complete your call" as I had previously.

The call history shows  no entry at all for this incomplete call.

Please help.

gderf

When you configure a device to have a static IP address, you must specify that IP address, the correct netmask, and gateway. Have you done that?
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

BostonFern

Great answer.

I added subnet mask, default gateway, and dns server.  Now my phone is working. 

Hurray :D