News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 - IP Phones - No Internet connection

Started by mrjoe, December 12, 2013, 02:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrjoe

Disconnected Dlink 2760 connected to Internet port of Obi202 with ObiLine + ObiBT via Belkin USB 2.0 Hub

2 cordless phones - 1 attached to each of the 2 Phone ports.
2 IP Phones (Snom320s) - 1 connected directly to the Dlink and one via Powerline.

Setup of the IP phones and Obi as described on blog.obihai.com (besides for putting the Local IP in place of - EXT 1/Proxy = 500111101.pnn.obihai.com:5061)

Used all of the SPs, 2 for each phone to give it 2 identities, 1 ObiBT and 1 ObiLine.

Calls come directly to AA, on pressing 1 rings all phones, 2 gives option 1# or 2# to call one of our Cells or 3# to leave a message.  Calls are bridged via ObiBT.

Pressing the down key on the Snom changes Identities giving either the option to call direct through the Cellphone or PSTN.

From Snom320 to ring:
# cordless 1
## cordless 2
### other Snom320
#### cordless 1 & 2
I've configured the 12 programmable Hardware buttons to do this too as well as Push to Talk and Intercom to the other Snom320

From Cordless
# other cordless
## 1st Snom320
### 2nd Snom320
#### picks up PSTN line to call out or "barge in"

edit - Also, 2 speed dials to allow me to ring (via the switchboard) through to Identity 2 on each phone.  This Identity will discreetly "Auto Answer" on Speakerphone and allow me to speak to my family in the Bedroom or Dining room without them picking up the phone.  (or to just check up on the Kids or Babysitter ;))
Call conferencing and transfer works great too using some of the 47 buttons on the Snom320.

edit: Just figured out how to get the time and date on the Snom320s, Obi and Cordless phones....
I'm using my Mac as a Local "NTP server"!  No configuration required!  Just put the IP address of the Mac where you would usually put the NTP server address...  Even if I manually configure the Mac Time & Date it synchronizes to all devices.  1 up for Apple!

mrjoe

Just to explain why anyone would use an Obi202 & IP Phones if they aren't using VoIP.

The Communications Ministry in Israel have made laws to benefit the consumer and to create a lot of competition in the Cellular industry; for example number porting must be immediate and via the receiving network; it usually take 15 minutes or less, calls must be charged per second and other laws.
Subsequently, costs here are around the lowest worldwide.  Just to give you an example of the rates; £10/$17 per month for unlimited Calls worldwide, Web, MMS & SMS, and 2 International numbers with free incoming.  Incoming PSTN is £4/$7 per month.

So if I can have unlimited national & international calls with 2 international DIDs (via ObiBT) and a PSTN line (via ObiLine) for stable incoming calls; yet still have the quality and functionality of IP Phones, who needs VoIP?

edit: Although calls to cellphones are sometimes cheaper than calling a landline here, I can also have an Israeli landline number ring through to the Cell for free.

Would love to hear your comments.

giqcass

This might not be the best option for everyone but it makes sense in your market. That is an exceptionally low price by US standards.  Are there any International destinations that cost extra?  Usually there is some fine print somewhere.
Long live our new ObiLords!

mrjoe

Here is the list of the 55 countries that are included in the plan:

Brazil
Canada + cellphones
Chile
China
Croatia
Cyprus (SOUTH)
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
France
Germany
Greece
Hong Kong
Hungary
Ireland
Israel + cellphones
Italy
Japan
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Malta
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Pakistan
Poland
Portugal
Puertorico
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
United Kingdom
United States of America + cellphones
Uruguay
Vatican City
Venezuela

mrjoe

I should start a business hosting Obi202s for people around the world to call from.  ;D

giqcass

Quote from: mrjoe on December 12, 2013, 03:54:43 AM
I should start a business hosting Obi202s for people around the world to call from.  ;D
LOL!  I kind of thought that myself. 
Your phone company has a very generous offering however I suspected some extremely high priced destinations might not be included.
Long live our new ObiLords!