News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help getting started

Started by MRNole, December 15, 2013, 11:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRNole

My dad just gave me the Obihai box and said "set this up" but it's not a simple or obvious process to me.  Basically he wants the escape paying Comcast every month for the home phone landline and get the same service for free.  So here is my (lack of) understanding of what I need to do:

1. Buy a prepaid SIM from TMo with about 5-10 minutes of talk time.
2. Active the SIM (by "following instructions" which I have no details on what this entails), getting a new phone number and PIN associated with that SIM card.
3. Put the new SIM card in a phone to test the new number.  Can I temporarily use my existing cell phone for this test purpose, or do I need a second cell permanently?  What exactly is unlocked referring to?
4. Call TMo and get them to port the Comcast landline number to replace the number TMo gave when activating the SIM card.
5. After port confirmation, make sure that calling from this SIM card and to this SIM card gives my old Comcast landline number.
6. Port the ex-landline-now-SIM-card number to Google Voice and set up the Obihai stuff etc which I think there's clear enough documentation for me to do.
7. Now I can take the ex-landline SIM card out of my cell phone and put my cell SIM back in?  There is no need for the ex-landline SIM anymore?  Or out of the second phone I may need from step 3?  Or....?
8. After everything is working correctly, cancel Comcast service.

Thanks for the input.

drgeoff

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest the first thing you do is familiarise yourself with the changes that Google will make to GoogleVoice on 14 May 2014.  There are several threads about that on this forum.

sdb-

You will need a cell phone which works on the t-mobile network.  If your phone does, then you do not need to buy another.  (or whatever cell network you use to port, see below)

Once the number has been ported out of the cell line, the cell line is not needed and cannot be used.

Comcast may close your account as soon as the port is initiated.  But you will need to verify with them to make certain it happens. Any other services associated with the phone may be affected.

Note you may have other problems...

Google Voice is intended to forward calls to another phone number and they do not support the OBi, and Obihai has said it will quit working mid-May 2014.  You could then get another phone number somewhere else (probably cheaper than Comcast) and have GV forward your calls to that number, but why then do you (or your father) wish to involve Google Voice at all?

In addition to possibly losing the current GV capability, the steps you outline are correct but not guaranteed.

Possible steps where your plan may fail:

4. While rare, t'mo may be unable to port your landline number. You may be able to check with their support to check in advance.  You may be able to use tracphone or at&t gophone instead.

6. google may not be able to port your landline number, even if it ported OK to your cell carrier.

I chose NOT to port my number to google voice.  Instead I ported it to Anveo (a VoIP provider) which cost $24 for the first year (plus $0.80/month so I can call 911 if I want).