News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 110 power light goes red and unit floods network

Started by Ad_Hominem, December 16, 2013, 12:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ad_Hominem

I own several Obi 110s and several Obi 100s.  

On several occasions over the last month, I've observed that, from time to time, the power light on one of my Obi 110s will turn red.  At the same time, it floods my network with packets that prevent other devices on the network from communicating.  When this happens, the Obi no longer provides dial tone to the attached phones, and the web interface stops working as well.

I have my Obi 110 configured to act as an FXS and an FXO for my FreePBX system.  I'm running the latest firmware (1.3.0 (Build: 2824)).  

This has happened on at least two of my Obis, that are located 800 miles apart, and which register to different FreePBX systems.

The call history log on the Obi shows nothing unusual at the time the incident occurred.   My asterisk logs show only that the extension and trunk associated with the Obi became unreachable.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a known bug?  Any workaround?

sdb-

It would be helpful if you configured your OBi's to send their syslogs to a server.  Most likely you can configure your asterisk server to receive them.

Some people may not like it, but I found with my OBi110 that it really needed a reboot every day or two.  It is easy enough to schedule with cron, and it is polite enough to wait for idle after receiving a reboot request, that I see no reason NOT to do a daily reboot

Something like this with the proper values in the $VARIABLEs does the job for me:
curl --digest -u "$ADMIN:$PASSW" -s http://$OBI/rebootgetconfig.htm

Ad_Hominem

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was considering a timer switch, but the curl option looks even better.

Just out of curiosity, what is prompting you to reboot your Obi 110 daily?  And have you found a similar need for Obi 100 and other devices?

Obi support has suggested a factory rest and reconfigure.  I'm guessing that something may have gone wonky when I updated the firmware with an existing configuration...

ProfTech

You may also want to be sure the ethernet port on the Obi is locked to 100/Full duplex. It is factory set to 10/half which has been documented way back when as causing a huge issue with some routers. Also note that the 110 by design will reboot if it's IP address changes. Since it comes from the factory  set to use DHCP its IP can change at any time. I use a static IP and my 110 never gets rebooted unless the AC goes off or I change a setting and reset it as directed. I did get some random reboots but after shutting off DNS Server redundancy with CallCentric the issue stopped.

sdb-

I observed some spontaneous reboots with my '110, a couple of times right when a call came in.

I found that trying to save the config usually created a corrupt XML file unless right after a reboot.  The call history also was corrupt but not often.

I don't have experience with other OBi's. However I did just upgrade to a '202 and after some discussion here, a couple of days ago I disabled the reboot just to see how it will behave. So far, so good (fw 3-0-1-4142) but other people have reported issues.

I do have my ethernet set 100/fd just because I see no reason for the slower speed.  And I have my router set to reserve and assign the same IP address via DHCP.

Ad_Hominem

Well, the problem recurred again today.

I was going to try changing the Network port from 10/half to 10/100, but I cannot find the setting.  Can anyone tell me where to look?

I have two Obi 110s.  Both are older hardware (with the relay that activates the PSTN line when the power goes out).  They are both in locations that are about 1,000 miles apart.  They both experience the same failures, but each only fails on days that I actually use the device to place calls using the FXS port.  Both devices receive all the calls that come into all of my numbers, and so incoming calls aren't the problem.  The problem has got to be something about the outgoing calls that I make.

I do make a number of calls that are prefixed by star codes that are not Obi codes.  In fact, I disable Obi's star code profile.  I wonder if there's a bug there...

Anyone else seeing this?  And is the Obi 100 also experiencing the same issue?  What about the newer hardware versions of the 110?

drgeoff

Quote from: Ad_Hominem on December 20, 2013, 12:30:43 AM
I was going to try changing the Network port from 10/half to 10/100, but I cannot find the setting.  Can anyone tell me where to look?
It isn't a setting you can do from a browser.

Switching an OBi's Ethernet ports to 100 Mbyte/s full duplex:

1. Dial *** (wait for response) then press 0
2. Enter option 27 and press #
3. Press 1 to set a new value
4. Enter a value of 1 and press #
5. Press 1 to confirm/save
6. Hang up
7. Wait for the OBi to reboot