News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

[Resolved] Number you dialed was rejected by the service provider reason is 500

Started by pcman, December 27, 2013, 09:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcman

All,

I have an OBi110 connected to Anveo. I'm trying to determine if the problem I'm experiencing is with the Obihai or service provider Anveo. The inbound and outbound calling has been working for a while but I recently discovered that calls to a specific area code fail. I've tried three numbers in this area code and they all fail. What they all have in common is they are Shentel land lines. Here is the message I receive when calling Shentel directly:

three beeps then:  
Quotethe number you dialed, 540-984-5224 was rejected by the service provider - reason is 500

https://www.shentel.com/shentel/contact_information
Business Office    540-984-5224

Is there any way to determine if the problem is with the Obihai or with Anveo? Any help is appreciated.

pcman

The area that I was trying to call is rural and serviced by Shentel. Shentel is a public company traded on the NASDAQ see http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/shen

hwittenb

The error code sip 500 means "Internal Server Error" which means the Anveo computer system had a problem with the number you dialed. 

Searching on sip 500 Cisco says:
Possible Cause: A SIP Trunk is not configured to receive or send calls to the IP Address from the source of the SIP INVITE event.

This says it could be an Anveo routing problem.  I would open a trouble ticket with Anveo.

I tried the Town Hall number in Edinburg, VA with Anveo and got the same result (sip 500).  I tried the same number with CallCentric and the number rang.

If you have another account with a service provider you can try placing the call thru them.  As you know, on the OBi Anveo consumes one SPx, you could configure another provider on the other SPx, or you could also setup one of the gateways for outgoing calls only with a service provider that doesn't require registration such as CallCentric, voip.ms, future-nine.

I believe you can setup a Pay-Per Call outgoing only account at CallCentric with a $5 deposit.

pcman

hwittenb,

Awesome answer; thank you! I'm going to talk to Anveo and see what they say. The evidence shows it is their problem I hope they can resolve it.

SteveInWA

There have been numerous reports of Anveo not completing calls to certain telcos' phone numbers, with some assumption that this is due to abnormally-high call connection fees levied by those telcos.  This is similar to the traffic pumping issue discussed in the linked discussion.  MagicJack is notorious for cherry-picking numbers to which they won't connect.

There's a matter of relative "rip-off level" involved here:  the "free conference call" numbers are certainly ripping off other carriers, and I wouldn't blame any carrier for refusing to connect.  But, carriers shouldn't arbitrarily fail to connect to certain other LECs if the connection charges are higher than normal, but within some sort of reasonable price range.

On the other hand, I've seen a couple of posts on the Google Voice forum about problems calling Shentel numbers, so it could be Shentel's fault.  Let's not jump to the conclusion yet, that it's an Anveo-only issue.

I'd be interested to learn the outcome of your inquiry to Anveo.  Overall, Anveo is a great, feature-rich and affordable SIP provider, but if they're going to engage in selectively not connecting calls, without a transparent policy, then that would downgrade them substantially as a recommended ITSP.

pcman

I'll follow up with what Anveo says. I had a free ticket open with them for three days and didn't get a response. I just opened a prime ticket so I hope I can get some answers soon.

pcman

Resolved.

I received a very quick explanation from Anveo with my prime ticket. The reason the call is failing is because I am on the free package (still pay per minute) which doesn't allow connections to phone numbers served by a phone company with significantly higher then the average interconnect rates.

They gave this PDF as an example: https://www.shentel.com/~/media/Files/Shentel_MD_ACCESS_Tariff.ash
It says Shentel in Maryland has a "... switched access rate is $0.02057 per minute."

The solution is to upgrade to their starter package. I upgraded and the call immediately worked.

carl

Things get even weirder. Than I called the dshentel business office number via localphone, i got repeatedly dead air. However, when i called the City hall in edinburg, Va, which has the same area code and exchange number , it connected without problems. Go figure.