News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calls cutting in and out recently

Started by PaulMisner, January 13, 2014, 08:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulMisner

I have been using GV and the OBI100 for over a year, with no problems until recently. Now, it seems whenever I am in in a call, the person on the other end complains that I cut out during part of the call.

Not sure how to troubleshoot this, and would welcome and ideas on tweaking, workarounds, suggestions.

I would even consider an alternative to GV at this time, given the upcoming XMPP cut off.

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

MikeHObi

I've had random issues like that which always have been on GV calls.  In that case about all you can do is go into google voice, find the call in the history, and flag it as a problem.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

sdb-

I've had this problem with GV when my Internet connection has significant other use.

GV will exhibit problems with a loaded connection more seriously and possibly more frequently than a normal VoIP service.  GV uses TCP, normal SIP uses UDP.  TCP introduces reliable data transfer, no matter how long it takes. This reliability will cause delay of all subsequent packets due to retransmission for missed or out of order packets.  UDP just sends the data and if some does not arrive, or arrives late or out of order, it has no effect on any other data in the stream.

Putting good QoS rules in place to prioritize traffic to and from my OBi helped a lot.

MikeHObi

Quote from: sdb- on January 14, 2014, 07:14:54 AM
I've had this problem with GV when my Internet connection has significant other use.

When I say I have seen issues and I know it's Google voice, it is not due to internet performance.  This is typically when I use the google voice page to have it place a call and have it connect to my office phone.  This phone is one of 250 extensions connected to an on premises phone system which is connected to redundant telephone service providers over dedicated T3 point to point connections. (old school telephony)

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.