News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ALL calls cut off after 2 to 3 minutes

Started by jimates, January 28, 2011, 06:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimates

The first 6 calls were all cut off at exactly 3 minutes. Now it ranges from 2 to 3. When it is cut off there is a sound like a busy signal.

I sent a support ticket to OBihai and the answer is, "There should be no limit to the call length."

anyone else have a problem with this?

update: I installed the iphone app and successfully made a 5 minute call over wifi with the iphone. Then I placed a call from the telephone and the call lasted 5:17 before disconnected.

ShermanObi

That is correct. There is really no "Max time" the OBi would limit a call to last unless you configure the "BridgedOutboundCallMaxDuration" parameter.  This would limit the length of a call (in seconds) to calls where the OBi device is being used as a bridge.  By default, this is set to <blank> e.g. off.

This sounds like it may be a service provider issue.  What service are you using to connect to PSTN numbers?

Note that Obihai does have a number that can be called from OBi devices and soft phones which permits a free 3-minute call to a US or Canada phone number.  You first dial **9 333 333 333, and then the OBi Attendant will answer and prompt you to make a new call (Option 2) or call back (Option 3).  When the call hits the 180 second mark, you will get disconnected.

jimates

I am set up using only google voice. Not bridged with anything. I have made no changes except for those for 7 digit dialing, but this was happening before those changes were made.

I checked the setting and there is no value in the box since the default is checked.

The problem isn't with GV.
I just made a call directly from my gmail without a problem, I cut it off at 13 minutes.

update: I made a call that went just over 9 min. before it cut off.

I had this adapter making calls and fully configured within an hour of receiving it. Now I have been 10 hours trying to figure out why it keeps cutting off my calls.

jimates

Anyone know of any tweaks to get a fax to work. I will take a break and work on that for a while.

with the call time problem if I don't get he fax to work fairly easy I think this thing will go back on Monday. Lots of people at fatwallet waiting on my usage report before they buy. Doesn't look good so far.

jasmitch

Strange I have been using google voice and my ISP via the OBI110 and not experienced any problems like this.
Maybe a NAT issue, you might need to enable the keep alive setting.

jimates

I have no idea. I was using a Nettalk Duo without any problems. I may have to go back to that, although it doesn't work with GV.

I will move it directly to the modem and see if things improve.

OBiSupport

Hi Jimates,

It appears that you are the only user with this issue.  We would be happy to work with you directly to get to the root cause.  Please contact support@obihai.com and we will dig into it directly -- very curious to know what might be the explanation.

Thank you,
Obihai Support

jimates

I connected the adapter directly to the modem and it seems to work ok. I terminated my call after 20+ minutes.

I am using a Dlink dir615. I did have make some router changes before to get my NetTalk Duo to work. But since I also can't get my pvr modem to connect successfully through the OBi110, I will have to keep using the NetTalk Duo. This means I can't reset the router to default and try it.

I have a new Linksys gigabit router that I have been wanting to try so I guess I will put that in and see if it still works ok.

jimates

I got my new cisco router set up and the Obi is working great connected to it.

DaveSin

Quote from: jimates on January 29, 2011, 07:45:36 PM
I connected the adapter directly to the modem and it seems to work ok. I terminated my call after 20+ minutes.

I am using a Dlink dir615. I did have make some router changes before to get my NetTalk Duo to work. But since I also can't get my pvr modem to connect successfully through the OBi110, I will have to keep using the NetTalk Duo. This means I can't reset the router to default and try it.

I have a new Linksys gigabit router that I have been wanting to try so I guess I will put that in and see if it still works ok.

Does the Dlink dir615 have SIP ALG enable.  If you disable it, that should solve the 3-minute cutoff (I think)!  If you have time to test, could you try and report back, in case this issue crops up again.

jimates

I did have SIP ALG disabled.

This is what support said concerning SIP ALG, as related to my problem.

If you are using GV, the protocol is not SIP, hence disabling SIP ALG on the router, while it is always a good thing to do, does not explain the call cut-off.
- Obihai Support Team

I am going to reset the DLink to factory defaults and try it again to see if the problem goes away. I will be sure and report the results.

I did have to make some changes to it when I installed my NetTalk Duo a couple months ago, maybe those changes are causing the problem.

LeftRight

Quote from: jimates on January 28, 2011, 08:14:45 PM
Anyone know of any tweaks to get a fax to work. I will take a break and work on that for a while.  ...

FAX might work between Google Voice services. I have two OBi110s with their SP1 configured with GV, and fax pass-through seems OK ...

obi-master

I am having the same issue. My calls would disconnect sometime after 30 mins and some time after 10 mins. I will just hear the dial tone when the call is disconnected. This was happening with older firmware and also happening with 1.2, actually the frequency has increased with 1.2.

Any help will be appreciated.

Agate

About 5% of my phone calls via GV are cut off at about the 3 minute mark.  Seems like the frequency went up from firmware release 1890 to 1892. Have only loaded 2101 today 3/23 so I've don't have experience to report with with 1.2.

jimates

Later tonight after my family is done using the network I will put the D-link router back in and see if the problem is still there. I will report my results.

Gheno

I dialed out this morning and before the connection was established there was a voice prompt announcing that my call would be limited to 3 minutes.  I disconnected immediately and used my cellphone since the call was important.  I'm not sure if this was an OBI message or a Google message, but i suspect the later. 

Now that I have more time to troubleshoot I redialed the number and don't get the 3 minute limitation/message anymore.  Perhaps Google is trying to curb costs by periodically limiting the duration of some calls?  This is the first and only time I've encountered the problem.

RonR

I've had this happen on more than one occasion when I mis-dialed the number.  I think Google Voice misinterprets the number as being international and I only have a very small credit in my account.

jimates

Quote from: Gheno on May 02, 2011, 09:51:11 AM
I dialed out this morning and before the connection was established there was a voice prompt announcing that my call would be limited to 3 minutes.  I disconnected immediately and used my cellphone since the call was important.  I'm not sure if this was an OBI message or a Google message, but i suspect the later. 

Now that I have more time to troubleshoot I redialed the number and don't get the 3 minute limitation/message anymore.  Perhaps Google is trying to curb costs by periodically limiting the duration of some calls?  This is the first and only time I've encountered the problem.
As RonR said, this is a Google message likely due to a misdial. Check your call history and see what the Obi shows was dialed.