News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Greetings to all, need some direction

Started by reststop, January 03, 2014, 05:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reststop

Hello and good New Year to all.  I am new to this phone stuff but am hoping to replace my expensive landline with something less costly.  I am in the process of acquiring an OBI110 so that I can ease into it.  I have been reading this forum and learning fast but would like to find a good source for learning the basics such as definitons, acronyms, etc.  Any of you guys have a favorite site or video that would help?  Thanks for replies.

rest

colleenz

Me too, needing useful tips.   I'm totally new to this & have been researching for about 10 days. I've ordered the obi200 & got the list of servers down to CallCentric & voip.ms
I'm leaning toward voip.ms & wonder if you can give me any tips. I'm near seattle wa, where they have a satellite. Right now I have Century Link, want to port my number & have caller id etc. I have phones all over the house & want them all to ring as I'm somewhat disabled & it takes me time to get to the phone.

Re needing glossary, google voip glossary."

Usetheforceobiwan

Here are some resources:

http://blog.voipdiy.com/

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

http://tech.iprock.com/?p=3098

Helped me a bunch.  And then there were the hours of complete frustration searching this board....but hopefully you are smarter than me   :P

MurrayB

I ported two numbers to voip.ms. I could not be more pleased. Their port team, website and live chat are great no frustration.

Good Luck!

Johnny

I'll second what MurrayB wrote.

I have ported three numbers to Voip.ms and also purchased three numbers from them.  Not a single problem.  I like the fact that you can see the number before buying it.  At callcentric and some of the other places, you just get assigned a number in your requested area.  Anveo and Localphone I believe are that way too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Voip.ms or Callcentric.  Both have their pros and cons but both are top notch providers.

In my case, Voip.ms is somewhat cheaper since I have 6 DID's.

They charge $0.99/mo. for a DID and Callcentric charges $1.95/mo.  So, if you have multiple DID's, Voip.ms would be somewhat cheaper in that regard.

I believe both are currently offering free porting.  Usual porting price at Callcentric is $25.00 and at Voip.ms it is usually $10.00.  These prices are for U.S. ports.

I like Callcentric's web site the most.  It is really simple to understand and everything important seems to be on your dashboard.  Real clean.

I have accounts at both places and can't complain about either one.

Good luck with your decision.....

colleenz

Thank you so much for the helpfull replies. Would you mind telling me how long it took to get your number ported o voip.ms & did you do something about 911. I'm grateful for the sites you posted & will peruse them tonight. I'm having carpel tunnel surgery on Tuesday & am thinking I should keep researching until I'm back in commision, Haha.  Many thanks again. Colleen

MurrayB

The porting time is a function of your carrier. Voip.ms begins the process as soon as they receive the data you send to them via their website. You can get the info that you need and the steps to take. Their port team is first rate with communication and very cordial and eager to help.

Good luck Tuesday, I am having cataract surgery Wednesday and then again two Wednesdays later. Life goes on.

colleenz

Quote from: MurrayB on January 09, 2014, 07:44:38 PM
The porting time is a function of your carrier. Voip.ms begins the process as soon as they receive the data you send to them via their website. You can get the info that you need and the steps to take. Their port team is first rate with communication and very cordial and eager to help.

Good luck Tuesday, I am having cataract surgery Wednesday and then again two Wednesdays later. Life goes on.

Good luck to you too!  I've had both eyes done & everything went well.  I hope life goes on.