News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Lots of Static

Started by Xidus, April 19, 2011, 09:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xidus

Just got my Obi100 and I am getting a lot of static from it. Constant static, even just dialing *** or the **9222222222 echo test. I've tried 3 different phones, different phone cords, and hooking everything up in another room. Is there a setting to fix this? I've read a couple of other posts here about AC adapter hum, but I don't have another AC adapter with the exact same specs to try.

I called a friend (me with google voice, his cell phone) and he said he didn't hear any static, but it was distractingly loud for me. I found a workaround that greatly diminished the static; an old DSL line filter. It gets rid of most of the static.

RonR

Do you hear the noise after dialing a single digit (like an *) to break dialtone?  It should be perfectly quiet at that point.  If you hear noise and it's not the phone, cord, etc., it just about has to be the OBi.

Xidus

Yes (without the dsl filter).

RonR

The DSL filter is not something you should be having to use.

I'd get in contact with the OBi folks and see about a replacement unit.

Xidus

I got it replaced, the replacement had a different problem so I got that replaced and now I have one with no problems. For all 3 I could hear static from the obi unit itself by putting my ear right up against it. But since it is not loud enough to hear from a distance I don't consider it a problem.