News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

What is this new Vestalink (obivoice) service provider?

Started by QBZappy, January 11, 2014, 08:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gderf

Quote from: giqcass on January 12, 2014, 06:59:58 AM
Has anyone got the outbound CID Spoofing to work?  I have tried several times to verify my number but every attempt fails with my trial account.

It worked for me. Are you not getting the call at all?

Has anyone tried to use the FAXing from the Control Panel? I think it's non-functional on a trial account.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

giqcass

I got the call, listened to the message, typed the number, and they hung up.  In addition I have already found errors in the billing time with just 3 calls.  Even if each call is rounded up how did I use 5 minutes?  These are incoming calls so it appears you are charged for both incoming and outgoing.  I have not made an outgoing call or tried faxing yet.

January 12, 2014, 10:23 am    7 seconds
January 12, 2014, 10:20 am    1 minute, 58 seconds
January 12, 2014, 10:19 am    15 seconds

If I were more comfortable with the company and their service they have a terrific price for 2-year plans.
$39.99 24 Month Includes 500 minutes talk time per month.
$59.99 24 Month Includes unlimited talk time per month.

Long live our new ObiLords!

colleenz

I got the idea that Obivoice provides land line & voip, otherwise what is the land line adapter for?
I also emailed Ryan. Got a pleasant reply stating that I would get the same service that I now get from Century Link.  I was totally into going with voip.ms, when I found Obivoice, now I don't know what to do.

gderf

Did you go back to the Spoof Caller ID page and see what's there?

My trial usage is a bit off too. Not really worried about it since I would be going with an unlimited plan anyway.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

giqcass

Quote from: gderf on January 12, 2014, 07:17:33 AM
Quote from: giqcass on January 12, 2014, 06:59:58 AM
Has anyone got the outbound CID Spoofing to work?  I have tried several times to verify my number but every attempt fails with my trial account.

It worked for me. Are you not getting the call at all?

It failed for me over and over again. The call just ended after I entered the digits most of the time.  Several attempts resulted in "You have entered an invalid verification code."  Some of the codes included the number 4 and that caused a problem because I was verifying my Google Voice number. Finally I got lucky and the "thank you for verifying your number" message came up.  I have noticed there is no way to see what number is being used for Caller Id.  There is a place where you can enter CNAM associated with your number. It says Caller ID but it won't allow you to enter a number in that field.  Very frustrating but I got it working at least.  

giqcass

Quote from: colleenz on January 12, 2014, 02:24:07 PM
I got the idea that Obivoice provides land line & voip, otherwise what is the land line adapter for?
I also emailed Ryan. Got a pleasant reply stating that I would get the same service that I now get from Century Link.  I was totally into going with voip.ms, when I found Obivoice, now I don't know what to do.

They only provide Voip.  The term Landline adapter was just a poorly chosen way to say ATA adapter.

giqcass

Quote from: gderf on January 12, 2014, 02:31:40 PM
Did you go back to the Spoof Caller ID page and see what's there?

My trial usage is a bit off too. Not really worried about it since I would be going with an unlimited plan anyway.

The spoof Caller ID page shows any number you put in there and tried to verify even if you did so unsuccessfully.  I did get it finally.

I'm afraid the usage being off is a sign of other bugs in the system.  I'll play around with it for the month but I won't keep it after that.  I plan to see what other people think long term before I commit.  I already have $20 credit on Localphone so no big hurry to find a replacement.  If they get good feedback I'll probably go for a 2 year deal with them eventually.

LeoKing

I still have until May 2014 to see how well this OBiVoice service works before making the decision to sign up for the service.

giqcass

Well I just spent 22 minutes on a phone call and the quality was perfect.  My outbound caller ID showed up correctly.  They do not appear to allow incoming sip calls from outside of their network.  Call forwarding seems to be disabled at least on the free account so I could not test that.

LeoKing

Quote from: giqcass on January 12, 2014, 03:58:59 PM
Well I just spent 22 minutes on a phone call and the quality was perfect.  My outbound caller ID showed up correctly.  They do not appear to allow incoming sip calls from outside of their network.  Call forwarding seems to be disabled at least on the free account so I could not test that.

Thanks for the info!

Ansextra

I started service with VOIPO a few months ago and paid $185 for the first 2 years.  After that I believe the price goes to $185 / year.  I have had no problems with them whatsoever.  This Obivoice to me sounds too good to be true and I've always had the attitude that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.  I just don't know how they'll stay in business at those rates.  I'm staying where I am.  Even at $185/year it's basically $15/month for unlimited.  I'm fine with that.

QBZappy

Chet_King is flooding the forum with SPAM. "Check out these guys! http://www.obivoice.com/" (Most likely a bot.) This leaves a very bad impression on them if they want to be considered seriously. That was a bad decision. If they expect to be considered seriously they should not have done that. My spidey sense tells me to proceed with caution.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

LeoKing

Quote from: Ansextra on January 14, 2014, 11:48:38 AM
I started service with VOIPO a few months ago and paid $185 for the first 2 years.  After that I believe the price goes to $185 / year.  I have had no problems with them whatsoever.  This Obivoice to me sounds too good to be true and I've always had the attitude that if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.  I just don't know how they'll stay in business at those rates.  I'm staying where I am.  Even at $185/year it's basically $15/month for unlimited.  I'm fine with that.

I've had MagicJack then MagicJack Plus for 4 years now and it's been working great for me, especially the Plus version that plugs into the router and doesn't need a computer to run. I paid $19.95 a year for the original MJ and $29.95/yr or $99.75/5yrs for the Plus. Of course, MJ no longer includes E911 but 911 costs me only $6/year where I live if I choose to add it to my MJ service.

giqcass

Quote from: LeoKing on January 14, 2014, 12:19:36 PM
I've had MagicJack then MagicJack Plus for 4 years now and it's been working great for me, especially the Plus version that plugs into the router and doesn't need a computer to run. I paid $19.95 a year for the original MJ and $29.95/yr or $99.75/5yrs for the Plus. Of course, MJ no longer includes E911 but 911 costs me only $6/year where I live if I choose to add it to my MJ service.

I bought the MJ+ for $19.99 with a year of service.  It seems solid so far.  E911 is inexpensive in your area but I have heard it can be very expensive in other areas.  I'll have to check my area.

intelafone

Quote from: QBZappy on January 11, 2014, 08:34:53 AMRyan, take advantage of this opportunity and introduce yourself officially to the community on the OBi forum. Please tell us who you are and what you are offering.

Thanks for the invitation, QBZappy!

I want to thank you for all the discussion you have prompted about Obivoice. It is because of everyone's input and feedback that we have been able to grow as a business and improve as a service.

We are working with our current and prospective customers to tighten up the look and feel of the new Obivoice website and provide quality service that our customers want to spread the word about. Our orientation towards customer service has allowed us to get rid of inconsistencies in the Terms of Service and the confusion about taxes and E911 fees (Which I can tell you are all now 100% included in the listed plan prices).

Once again thank you all for submitting your input and impressions about our services so far and we hope you will continue to do so. I certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss our plans for VoIP in 2014 with the very knowledgeable community here on the Obitalk forum.

-Ryan
Vestalink | XMPP Shutdown and Vestalink
BYOD Home VoIP Service | Approved Obihai Provider | Free GV Number Porting

giqcass

Quote from: intelafone on January 16, 2014, 03:03:35 PM
Once again thank you all for submitting your input and impressions about our services so far and we hope you will continue to do so. I certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss our plans for VoIP in 2014 with the very knowledgeable community here on the Obitalk forum.

-Ryan

I prefer not to give credit card information to companies I am not familiar with.  Please consider making Paypal a payment option.

LeoKing

I can use the Virtual Account Number (VAN) from my Citi VISA but the PayPal suggestion is an excellent one and I like that option as well.

Robv2

I was going to try them because the price was right with the options they have but they don't support porting my number, so I will be looking elsewhere.

QBZappy

@Robv2

Welcome

You don't really need to port. Just call forward the number to obivoice and use the call spoofing feature of obivoice to pass your number.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MikeHObi

Quote from: Ansextra on January 14, 2014, 11:48:38 AM

My phone with 911, voice mail, call fowarding, voice mail transcription, caller ID, Cname , and 48state long distance plus other stuff has costed me about $35 total over 2 years.

I don't find it hard to believe you can get similar service for $40 per year.   Most solutions I've looked at that without Google voice would work out to about $40 per month, in some cases less, many cost more.
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.