News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 110 > Callcentric > LNP > use two numbers on one phone?

Started by Ferdamshur, January 11, 2014, 07:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferdamshur

Hi all -

Psyched to have found the ObiTalk solution, and to finally cut the cord with Cablevision, my broadband VOIP provider!

My original plan, of course, was to use Google Voice, but after receiving my Obi, saw the notice that GVox would no longer be supporting the tech used by ObiTalk after May. Rather than go through a two-step porting process (now, then in May), I decided to skip GVox and go straight to Callcentric after reading many helpful positive reviews in these forums.

However, Callcentric does not offer outgoing service plans for ported numbers, only incoming plans. So here is my query: how can I set up my ObiTalk 110 so that I can receive calls to both my original ported landline number and my new Callcentric number, and make outgoing calls from the Callcentric number? Is that possible?  ???

Thanks!
;D

Everton

Callcentric DO offer outgoing also.  Please refer to their Web Site for outgoing plans or pay by the minute outgoing.

Ferdamshur

Hi Everton, thanks for your reply.

Yes, Callcentric does offer outgoing plans, but you cannot port your number to outgoing services. See here:

http://www.callcentric.com/faq/17/203

I want to retain my ported number for incoming calls, and still make outgoing calls as well.

sdb-

You do not use an incoming phone number (also known as a DID - Direct Inward Dial) to make phone calls.

You use an outgoing plan to make phone calls.

In and out are entirely separate.  You do not need an incoming number to make calls.  I use different providers for incoming vs. outgoing.

Most providers will let you set the transmitted callerID number when making outgoing calls.  This allows you to associate your outgoing calls with your incoming number.

psuPete

Quote from: sdb- on January 11, 2014, 11:04:54 AM
Most providers will let you set the transmitted callerID number when making outgoing calls.  This allows you to associate your outgoing calls with your incoming number.

In fact CallCentric does have a method of setting up and then choosing your DID dn as your CLID such as a Google Voice dn.

Pete

Ferdamshur

Thanks Pete, I just dug a little deeper and found it via the "View/Modify Extensions" > "Modify" link.

I'll just have to wait until the the port is complete to add the ported number to my outgoing caller ID, of course.