News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice + LocalPhone + OBI100 = No CallerID

Started by ghutcheon, December 23, 2013, 12:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghutcheon

Hi,

I have been playing for a while but to no avail - I had the free number from CallCentric but when CallerID got messed up last week I decided it was time to switch to Localphone.com.

I have SP1 and GoogleVoice for outbound calls and GV->Localphone for inbound with the hope that it would push throught the CallerID (which it did for CallCentric).

Been emailing with Localphone.com to verify this should work - but as yet have not had a straight answer.

So, has anyone have this setup in the USA and have CallerID ? is so how are things configured to make it work ?

giqcass

I assume when you say CallerID you actually mean CNAM or caller ID with name.  I don't think localphone does CNAM at all.  They just give you the number.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ghutcheon

Right - CNAM - ok then it appears that was money down the drain - but for UK calls I think that may be the cheapest - will need to weigh up the pro's and con's - cheap vs CNAM.
THanks

sdb-

I have setup:

GV forwards to IPKall
IPKall SIP forwards to localphone

sp1: gv  (outgoing only, gv is not forwarded to chat)
sp2: anveo (has my primary DID and E911)
sp3: localphone (primary outgoing)

I get CID + genericCNAM when someone calls my GV number or my IPKall number.  What I mean by "generic" is that for most calls it gives city and state of the caller's exchange instead of the actual caller name.

giqcass

Quote from: ghutcheon on December 23, 2013, 02:28:07 PM
Right - CNAM - ok then it appears that was money down the drain - but for UK calls I think that may be the cheapest - will need to weigh up the pro's and con's - cheap vs CNAM.
THanks

I wouldn't call Localphone a waste of money.  It's an excellent choice for outbound calling.  It just isn't my first choice for inbound calls due to lack of features.  With the Obi you can use separate inbound and outbound routes.  Localphone can send the Caller Id of any phone number you control so it appears seamless. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

carl

Quote from: giqcass on December 23, 2013, 05:30:10 PM
Quote from: ghutcheon on December 23, 2013, 02:28:07 PM
THanks

I wouldn't call Localphone a waste of money.  It's an excellent choice for outbound calling.  It just isn't my first choice for inbound calls due to lack of features.  With the Obi you can use separate inbound and outbound routes.  Localphone can send the Caller Id of any phone number you control so it appears seamless. 
d LP features is IMO the inability to retrieve your voice mail from another phone than your own, e.g. I cannot retrieve my Localphone messages from my cell when I am on the road. ( You can do that if you have a ""smart"" phone with a data plan.) Other than that, it's pretty sufficient, reliable and the DID prices in countries of my interest are unbeatable.

BobTeatow

Callerid with Name is working with Callcentric "dirt cheap" DID numbers.  
Yes, it was working with free numbers a while ago but not now.

I'll re-evaluate if/when google voice/obi outbound support ends in May, but for now inbound for 10 cents a day with good CNAM support is okay with me.    For outbound to US at 0.5 cents/min LocalPhone does seem to be the next best thing to free, if your outbound usage is less than 1000 minutes/month or so.  If you're regularly more than 1000 minutes outbound, their subscription service looks pretty good...  So Mixing the two, $8/month ain't free but ain't terrible either.

Besides standard CNAM, you can set up your own contacts list / directory on CallCentric to easily customize/override what comes up on CNAM for numbers you "see" frequently - friends, family, businesses...

sdb-

Quote from: BobTeatow on January 13, 2014, 07:49:35 AMFor outbound to US at 0.5 cents/min LocalPhone does seem to be the next best thing to free, if your outbound usage is less than 1000 minutes/month or so.  If you're regularly more than 1000 minutes outbound, their subscription service looks pretty good...

I'm glad you edited to note the subscription option. :)

I find with the three tiers of U.S. calling subscription plans, plus the "overage at normal $0.005/minute rate," a subscription may make sense if you regularly use most or just over any of the tiers:
* United States 250 - 250 minutes - $0.75/month - 0.3¢/min
* United States 800 - 800 minutes - $1.60/month - 0.2¢/min
* United States 5000 - 5,000 minutes - $5.00/month - 0.1¢/min

It does not matter if you use all the minutes.  What matters is the dollar cost.  Simply look at your bill (either actual as received or anticipated usage multiplied by the rate), and if paying enough to cover a subscription, (and that usage is 'normal') then subscribe at that level or the next cheaper level.

If my January costs substantially similar to December, I'm planning to subscribe at either 250 or 800.

BobTeatow

You're correct of course, to squeeze out a few more $$$ and cents - use the tiered subscription pricing.

BUT if you're really cheap and have unlimited DID service AND Google Voice - you can go one better:

Never call outbound!  Always use a smartphone app or the Chrome web page extension to have Google voice connect you by first calling you inbound ...  I actually use the web page thing frequently when I'm sitting at my desk it is often the case that I can lookup and call a number faster from a web page with a couple of clicks than I can dial the number anyway. :o

However, for those times I'm not at my desk -- and for my wife --- I do want to be able to just make a phone call the old fashioned way -- pick up the phone and "dial" (or speed-dial).

BobTeatow

I tried IPKall a while ago... YMMV but for me it was one of those services, that even for free was worth less than I paid  ;)    Calls were dropped, lost, delayed, low quality...  I don't want to miss an "important" call. And I don't like apologizing for echos and breakup and having to hope I can call back...