News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obivoice (Intelafone) vs. Forthcoming Obihai Service?

Started by Arghtastic, January 17, 2014, 07:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

@eclas,

All the settings get populated down to the unit. You might want to diagnose it but reviewing all the settings one by one and see what changed. Something might come to your attention.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

eclas

Quote from: QBZappy on February 16, 2014, 09:01:49 AM
@eclas,

All the settings get populated down to the unit. You might want to diagnose it but reviewing all the settings one by one and see what changed. Something might come to your attention.

Thanks for the input QBZappy. I finally got it going right. I just deleted everything at obitalk and started from scratch.

kallsop

Quote from: giqcass on February 15, 2014, 11:53:42 PMLook up the "oleg method" in this forum for a fix.  It sounds like sip scanners.

Looks like that did it. I changed the X_InboundCallRoute from ph to {>xxxx:ph} where xxxx is the 4 digit value that was stored in AuthUserName. I was also sending emails to support at Obivoice and Ryan there is on top of it now too. Before the fix, I was getting about 1 call per hour with CID "100". After the fix, it's been 6 hours, no calls.

cluckercreek

Quote from: kallsop on February 16, 2014, 03:03:07 PM
Quote from: giqcass on February 15, 2014, 11:53:42 PMLook up the "oleg method" in this forum for a fix.  It sounds like sip scanners.

Looks like that did it. I changed the X_InboundCallRoute from ph to {>xxxx:ph} where xxxx is the 4 digit value that was stored in AuthUserName. I was also sending emails to support at Obivoice and Ryan there is on top of it now too. Before the fix, I was getting about 1 call per hour with CID "100". After the fix, it's been 6 hours, no calls.

I only had this problem on Friday night and Saturday morning. I knew from researching the Oleg Method described that someone would solve. I sent emails to Ryan @ Obivoice and he was very responsive as always. Great job guys!!

AlanB

I signed up for the 30 day/1 hour trial. So far no problems.

Seems like it might be an option to forward GV to. As far as porting a number it seems risky. My userid is 35xx. If they are in numerical order that's low.   Let's assume at max half the customers have signed up at $25/yr. that about 45,000 /yr. I could handle if they went under and I lost a few dollars. I'd hate to lose my phone number though.

ceg3

Just to wake up this thread. ;D After several weeks using Obivoice I'm cruising and happy with the service.  I have had the occasional error message, but to be honest I never expect any VoIP service to be 100% perfect all the time.  It has only happened a few times, so not worth a trouble ticket. I discovered failover forward, which would have been just in time if I had gotten a call a couple days ago when two cars collided outside my house and knocked out the power. That made me realize the failover is worth setting up, though I already have my OBi configured to ring my cell and my home phone when I get an Obivoice call.

riptcity00

Timely tip.  I've had no issues with Obivoice so far and have good call quality, features etc.  I did have one call that showed as received last night on GV and OV, but no call rang at home or was recorded on the handset.  Not sure why this happened, but it's the only question I've had so far.  Will monitor closely, but it's good to have failover as well.

WM94

Quote from: ceg3 on February 19, 2014, 01:13:05 PM
I discovered failover forward...That made me realize the failover is worth setting up, though I already have my OBi configured to ring my cell and my home phone when I get an Obivoice call.

How do I setup failover forward? Is it done through obivoice (or VOIP provider), on the Obi device, or elsewhere?

intelafone

Quote from: WM94 on February 20, 2014, 06:41:10 AMHow do I setup failover forward? Is it done through obivoice (or VOIP provider), on the Obi device, or elsewhere?

There are a couple of ways you can pull that off. We have included a Failover Forward feature with the service, though. Just go into the Settings tab of your web portal, under Account. Type in the number you want it to forward first where it says and then select Failover Forward for the strategy and it will save the number you just typed in.
Vestalink | XMPP Shutdown and Vestalink
BYOD Home VoIP Service | Approved Obihai Provider | Free GV Number Porting

WM94

Quote from: intelafone on February 20, 2014, 11:43:34 AM
There are a couple of ways you can pull that off. We have included a Failover Forward feature with the service, though. Just go into the Settings tab of your web portal, under Account. Type in the number you want it to forward first where it says and then select Failover Forward for the strategy and it will save the number you just typed in.

Thanks. That was what I was looking for.

Smee

One question I have is why Obivoice (Intelafone) isn't yet listed under the the supported venders when I go to my SP1 or SP2 configuration.  Is this something Obivoice is working to get going with Obihai?  It would make things that much simpler for folks who don't want to manually configure using the Obihai portal or using the Obivoice Beta app.

Smee

Lefko

Great forum, everyone.  I wish I'd seen this when I signed up for Obivoice a few weeks ago.  I'm still on the fence with it.  It took me a few tries to get my Obi 202 set up correctly for this, and finally got everything working by doing a complete reset, and then starting over on obitalk.  I've got my voicemail indicators set up, and everything is working most of the time.  I'm willing to blame the occasional call that doesn't ring on Google Voice, but I've got two issues that are causing me to hesitate before porting my number to them:
1. What is the cause of the occasional call rejection message I get on my outbound calls "service provider rejected by provider..."?
2.  Why is there sometimes a very long wait from when I dial my outbound number and I start hearing the phone ringing on the other end?  Sometimes this can take 20 seconds.  I haven't seen anyone mention this here.

Thanks forum.

giqcass

Quote from: Smee on February 20, 2014, 07:20:27 PM
One question I have is why Obivoice (Intelafone) isn't yet listed under the the supported venders when I go to my SP1 or SP2 configuration.  Is this something Obivoice is working to get going with Obihai?  It would make things that much simpler for folks who don't want to manually configure using the Obihai portal or using the Obivoice Beta app.

Smee
I don't believe ObiVoice has addressed this.  The fact that they created their own setup makes me think it's not going to happen in the near future.  Any of the following are possible.  They were rejected as a partner by Obi, they are in the process, or they never applied in the first place.  What I can say is they will let us know if they do become a partner.  They are very good when it comes to communication.
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

Quote from: giqcass on February 21, 2014, 01:14:43 AM
Quote from: Smee on February 20, 2014, 07:20:27 PM
One question I have is why Obivoice (Intelafone) isn't yet listed under the the supported venders when I go to my SP1 or SP2 configuration.  Is this something Obivoice is working to get going with Obihai?  It would make things that much simpler for folks who don't want to manually configure using the Obihai portal or using the Obivoice Beta app.

Smee
I don't believe ObiVoice has addressed this.  The fact that they created their own setup makes me think it's not going to happen in the near future.  Any of the following are possible.  They were rejected as a partner by Obi, they are in the process, or they never applied in the first place.  What I can say is they will let us know if they do become a partner.  They are very good when it comes to communication.

My take on this is that in order to be listed as a supported partner you need to do some form of revenue sharing with obihai. Since Obivoice is offering a very competitive price they may have decided to cut out a middle man in order to pass the cost savings to their clients. Either the math doesn't work or obihai is setting conditions which can not be sustained. Both of these companies independently on their own web sites have made overtures to associate with  each other, specifically in obivoice's case and generally in obihai's case. Eventually obihai and obivoice could agree on something since obivoice has a plan which pays for referrals. Other factors in play may be the cultures and future prospects of each company. At the moment an association with an established voip provider such as Anveo is more prestigious.  

The current commercial structure is a result of decisions made by both companies with all the self interest that it implies. Obivoice since appearing on the voip radar has been proactive and would most likely be happy to announce being on that list. Something is preventing it. As the paying consumers we are the silent third leg of this partnership. If the choice is to increase the price in order to be listed as a supported provider or keep the lowest price possible without affecting the service, the latter choice is clearly in the consumers interest. I see this choice as another good reason to keep your eye on obivoice. 2014 will be an interesting year for everyone involved with voip (manufacturers/service providers including GV/consumers) for different reasons.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

cluckercreek

Quote from: Lefko on February 20, 2014, 11:22:36 PM

1. What is the cause of the occasional call rejection message I get on my outbound calls "service provider rejected by provider..."?
2.  Why is there sometimes a very long wait from when I dial my outbound number and I start hearing the phone ringing on the other end?  Sometimes this can take 20 seconds.  I haven't seen anyone mention this here.

Thanks forum.

I'm glad I ported my number from GV, at not cost by Obivoice, to them. I couldn't be happier.  As to your concerns:

1.  Most likely you are calling a number that is a high priced destination. Contact Obivoice and they will tell you if that is the case.

2: Sounds like a setting in your Obi. I remember reading that if you use "#" after the number dialed this will help eliminate some of the issue.

Lefko

Quote from: cluckercreek on February 21, 2014, 09:16:35 AM
Quote from: Lefko on February 20, 2014, 11:22:36 PM

Thanks forum.

I'm glad I ported my number from GV, at not cost by Obivoice, to them. I couldn't be happier.  As to your concerns:

1.  Most likely you are calling a number that is a high priced destination. Contact Obivoice and they will tell you if that is the case.

2: Sounds like a setting in your Obi. I remember reading that if you use "#" after the number dialed this will help eliminate some of the issue.

1.  I don't think it's due to a priced destination.  Usually it is a local number. Whenever we get this error, if we repeat the attempt, the call goes through.
2.  I did a complete factory reset of the Obi.  The only thing that I've overrode is the voicemail indicators.

classpro

I have a couple of questions about Obvoice pricing and options that I am sure someone here can answer.

Is there a way with obvoice to have two separate inward numbers that ring differently?  My wife and I have separate GV accounts with different ring tones on the obi device.  I believe GV does not let you use the same DID number in two accounts.  Does obivoice support two DID numbers on one account, or would I have to pay for two lines?

Also, not clear about pricing.  Do both incoming and outgoing calls use minutes?  if you sign up for a plan and decide that the minutes are not enough, can you upgrade for the difference in price between the two plans?

Thanks.

gderf

Quote from: classpro on February 24, 2014, 08:05:45 AM
I have a couple of questions about Obvoice pricing and options that I am sure someone here can answer.

Have you asked Obivoice support directly? They are very responsive.

Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

ceg3

I just checked with Obivoice support and they are still working on SMS. It sounded as if this feature is going to happen and they are meeting with their carriers on implementation tomorrow.