News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newer OBi Devices for Point to Point

Started by JayL, January 16, 2014, 02:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayL

Hi, I played about with this on my Obi110, just wondering if there has been any change with the newer OBi devices.
Can two OBi200's (one with an OBiLine adapter) provide seemless PSTN extension function across an ip network?

i.e, For the end user, picking up the phone connected to the "client" OBi200 they will barely notice they are not connected directly to the PSTN line?
In the same vein, i'm wondering if a standard fax could also be carried over the above configuration?

I know this sounds like a ridiculous application, but in the UK most of our broadband providers rely on still having a physical PSTN line which is a complete waste if it cannot be used (in this case the physical pstn line and broadband connection will be remote to the user, connected only by a wireless network).

Any up to date thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jay

QBZappy

JayL

Quote from: JayL on January 16, 2014, 02:52:05 PM
Can two OBi200's (one with an OBiLine adapter) provide seemless PSTN extension function across an ip network?

The short answer is yes. However it is not clear if the ip network you have in mind is Lan or Wan. It could be set up either way using several different approaches.

Can you clarify your specific use case.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

JayL

Hi QBZappy,
Many thanks for your reply!
Apologies, it's a Lan network.

Hope this clarifies!

Cheers,
Jay

QBZappy

Hi Jay,

At the moment I don't have the time to look it up. (I'm on my way home from work) Ianobi has an excellent home pbx tutorial which is probably what you want. Have a look at his posts.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

Quote from: QBZappy on January 16, 2014, 03:53:34 PM
Hi Jay,

At the moment I don't have the time to look it up. (I'm on my way home from work) Ianobi has an excellent home pbx tutorial which is probably what you want. Have a look at his posts.
Here is that post I saved it.  There is also another excellent post by ianobi on the same topic.

When I find a really good post I save them to my computer for easy reference.  I have a few by ianobi.

Quote from: JayL on January 16, 2014, 02:52:05 PM
I know this sounds like a ridiculous application,

I guess the application can't be all that ridiculous since it's already been asked.  The fact you plan to use a couple 200 units doesn't change the setup from what was already laid out.
Long live our new ObiLords!

sparkgates

point to multi-point wireless back-haul systems are made up of a Base Station Unit (BSU or AP) that can communicate with multiple Subscriber Units (SU's). Many systems can handle over 100 plus SU's per BSU. In most cases the BSU's provide a sector antenna beam pattern (typical is 60 degree, with some systems allowing external antenna configurations for expanding to 90 and 120 degree sector antennas). Multiple BSU's can be installed to create a 360 degree sector (like a typical cell site configuration).