News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Frequent reboots with code 18 (reboot on WAN IP address change)

Started by Bentley, August 19, 2013, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bentley

I have an OBI202, use VOIP.ms. The OBI202 is connected to my cable modem, then my wireless router connects to the OBI202.

As far as I can remember I've always had a reboot about once every day. I didn't know that's what it was until just recently though, as it just manifested as an internet outage for about a minute. Very rarely did it affect a call, but that's just a matter of timing. So a few days ago I was reading through the forums, and I can see now that it is because the OBI202 is rebooting.

So I updated my firmware to 3.0.1 build 4041, and now it seems that the reboots are happening every 3 or 4 hours instead, doh!

The reboot code on the uptime status is always 18. My WAN IP never changes though, its cable and it's essentially static. So not sure why the system keeps doing what it is doing.

is this an issue on the OBI202 side? Or is it an issue with the cable modem or my cable provider? Has anyone experienced this issue?

thanks...

Ostracus

Bentley

Everything is on a UPS. I suppose it could still be the actual wall wart for the cable box or the OBI202.

I really don't want to have to do it, but I'm considering switching the order so that the OBI202 is after the router. In that way, if the issue is with the cable modem then I will still see the internet dropping, but if it is witht he OBI202 then that won't happen.

Shale

Due to your post, I am now aware of the Reboot Reason Codes in parenthesis  on the system status uptime.

Your analysis makes sense to me. Do you see actions in the modem log that corresponds to the reboot time?

Bentley

Just thought I'd post an update about this. I eventually determined that the issue was really that my cable modem was dropping the connection at least twice a day. Turns out that my Thomson DCM475 was on the older 2.08 firmware, and this is a known issue. I just recently had the firmware updated to the 2.16 version, and the issue is not resolved. So not an Obihai issue at all.