News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 reset itself

Started by hinghing1113, April 21, 2011, 12:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinghing1113

I have a OBi110, here's little background
I bought it 2 weeks ago and just plug the power to the device, didn't do any setup at all (no ethernet cable or phone cable). The OBi didn't reset.
Last night, I got a telephone and I tried to set it up with google voice. I could able to call out, but can't recieve calls, now I checked the forum, I know the reason. I forget to check "forward it my google chat" in the google.com/voice. At that time, the OBi sometime reset.
after awhile, I upgrade the lastest firmware and did a factory restore, Obi still reset itself without any setup. After I setup the dashboard, I could able to call the Obi no. like*9 222 222 222, but google voice doesn't work at all, and the Obi still reset by itself.

I tried different power outlet and using a UPS already, i don't think it's the power problem.
So is the Obi I got is defective? or I have some setting incorrect, that why making the Obi reset?

RonR

If you restore the OBi to factory defaults and have nothing but a telephone and power connected, it should not be periodically resetting.  You should be able to pick up the telephone and dial **0 to get the Auto Attendant and *** to get the IVR.

If you get that far without any problems, connect the OBi to your LAN, but do no additional configuration.  You should be able to dial **9 222 222 222 and get the OBiTALK echo test.  There should not be periodic resetting.  If you experience periodic resetting with the LAN connected, you might be experiencing Ethernet connectivity problems with your LAN.

hinghing1113

thanks, Ronr
if I have  experiencing Ethernet connectivity problems, meaning my router have a problem??
i tried using different port at the back of my router already.
i can try using different etherenet cable tonight and see.

RonR

There are sometimes incompatibility issues between Ethernet devices.  I'm not saying this is true in your case, but it's a possibility that needs to be eliminated before assuming the OBi is defective.

The OBi reboots itself upon seeing an Ethernet link first established (why, I don't know, but it does).  If your rebooting problems start after connecting the Ethernet port, it might be an indication that the link is coming and going.  If you conclude the OBi starts acting up when plugged into your router, you can try temporarily connecting the OBi directly to your modem to see if it works properly without the router in the loop (reboot both devices after making this connection).

When trying to diagnose problems like yours, you have to take small steps to try and determine the source.

hinghing1113

Now it's seem to work, but still don't understand something.
Here's what I did. I leave the power of Obi unplug for 10 hours. Last night I went back home, I plug the power devices, reset the factory setting, putting brand new ethernet (thank ronr told me it a ethernet issue). and no reset. I set up google voice. and it reset once, then it work perfectly.
but before I go to bed, I turn off my pc and turn off my router, modem still power on. In around 30min, I saw the Obi reset once, while I am on my bed..
any thought?

RonR

Quote from: hinghing1113 on April 22, 2011, 02:33:46 PMbefore I go to bed, I turn off my pc and turn off my router, modem still power on. In around 30min, I saw the Obi reset once, while I am on my bed.

It's not clear why you would turn off your router.  This will kill the Ethernet connection and certainly prevent the OBi from making and receiving calls.  Given the strange behavior of the OBi rebooting on Ethernet changes, I wouldn't read a lot into a reboot that occurs with the router turned off.

I've seen a couple of unexplained reboots with my OBi.  Fortunately, they're extremely rare (although they should not be occurring at all).

I would recommend you never turn the modem and router off whenever you are expecting the OBi to be operating properly.

hinghing1113

I have a UPS device which have master control feature.
When I turn on my computer, it would turn some some devices, like router.
when i turn off my computer, it would cut the power supply to those devices.
it's just saving the little energy.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: hinghing1113 on April 22, 2011, 05:16:33 PM
I have a UPS device which have master control feature.
When I turn on my computer, it would turn some some devices, like router.
when i turn off my computer, it would cut the power supply to those devices.
it's just saving the little energy.

It's not saving that much energy.  Unless you have devices that were spectacularly poorly designed, you'd never notice the difference.  Appliances with motors in them (including most major appliances, air conditioners, furnaces, water pumps, etc.) can use more electricity in a few minutes of operation than the devices you're shutting down will use in a month.

BUT, if you are such a tightwad that you simply must power down your router, then you might as well power down your cable or DSL modem and your OBi device at the same time.  Without the router being on, it won't do you any good for those other devices to be on.  And I have observed that when an Obihai device loses its network connection for a period of time (as would happen if you shut off the router), it sometimes will not resume normal operation until the network connection is restored AND the device is power-cycled (remove the power, wait a few seconds, plug it in again).

Seriously, you should not be turning off your router at night unless you are also powering down everything it is connected to — otherwise you are practicing false economy. Most folks that use any form of VoIP leave their cable or DSL modem, their router, and their VoIP adapter(s) powered up 24/7.  Also, constantly power-cycling devices that are meant to stay on could cause them to fail earlier than they normally would (again that would be poor design, but it happens).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.