News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric CID issue cause calls to only ring one time or not at all.

Started by giqcass, January 27, 2014, 05:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giqcass

I have noticed some calls only ring once or not at all.   After going through all of the logs I have found the issue is Callcentric.  Whenever Callcentric goofs up and loses the caller ID on an incoming phone call it marks the call as anonymous.  What I found is that I accidentally set anonymous call block on my Obi. The obvious fix was to turn off anonymous call block so I can still receive the calls.  Unfortunately that does not fix the underlying issue of CID being lost by Callcentric.  CID is being passed correctly to other forwarding phones and it shows up correctly on the Google Voice portal.

To prevent accidental activation of that feature I removed the following star code from my obi.
*77, Block Anonymous Call, set($Bac,1)
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikeHObi

Are these calls directly to the number or calls forwarded by google?  I had experienced issues with calls forwarded by google and Callcentric said it was a problem with the provider google uses.  Did you are are you opening a ticket with with Callcentric?
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

To start out let me say I'm not complaining.  I am using two free services and I appreciate what they provide.  I doubt I will bother to open a support ticket.  Based on other peoples responses they will just blame Google.  Google Voice may in fact be part of the problem as Callcentric says.  In my opinion  Callcentric is at least part of the problem.  This CID issue does not happen with any of my other forwarding phones.  I believe Callcentric could fix this issue but they probably won't. 
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikeHObi

I truly curious about what is going on.  It has become apparent to me over the past few years of my work with VOIP that there are some truly weird things going on when you pick up a phone and dial another number.  That here are so many different crossing points and that quality is not ensured is very interesting.

I have to assume the cause of this oddity is related to the service level that callcentric has on their free DID's and the service level that Google is willing to pay for on their interconnects.  How you fix it probably takes both of them to be interested in fixing it.  Considering both are free services, there may be limited interest for either to fix it.

SteveInWA

This was previously discussed at great length, starting last summer, here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6069.0

Yes, it was a circular firing squad of finger-pointing (how's that for a mixed metaphor)?

I nagged Google engineering several times to deal with it, but I never got an official response.  Last week, after experimenting unsuccessfully with a POS IPKall DID (that magically started having one-way audio on all calls), I trashed IPKall and went back to using my CC free NY DID.  GV-->CC-->OBi has been working fine for me, at least, for a week.  So, perhaps one of the two sides changed their call-routing, and won't admit it, or perhaps it is just the luck of the draw.

As Mike pointed out, there are many paths and methods to route VoIP calls, to pinch pennies, and it won't be transparent to the user until it fails somehow.

Bottom line:  all attempts to seek out the cheapest VoIP solution will be met by the immutable fact that you don't get what you don't pay for; reliability costs money, and from a statistical process control standpoint, the closer you try to get to six-sigma quality, the incremental cost increases become non-linear.

7Priest7

Callcentric is garbage.
It always will be and it always has been.

How you managed to get a completely free NY DID is beyond me.
I didn't have to read much of their fine print before I found
Quote from: Callcentric loves hidden feesUS and Canada customers with Free Phone Number(s) on their account will be required to activate 911 for an additional fee as per FCC / CRTC regulations.

Did you say you live in another country and still got the NY number?

gderf

All you have to do to avoid being charged the E911 fee is to answer 'No' to the following question during signup:

"Are you using our services from within the US or Canada?"

You can't get past that question during signup for a free DID. That makes me think you didn't even try.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

lhm.

Callcentric CID issue causing calls to only ring one time or not at all has not been an issue for me since January 6th.

YMMV

dircom

MikeHObi

And I've seen the came single ring issue on Anveo.  Not a callcentric specific issue.