News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi Blocked by the ISP

Started by Abbas, February 04, 2014, 07:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abbas

I have 3 Obi's in Pakistan and 1 in the US. the 3 Obi's in Pakistan are not connecting to the ObiTalk network. Everything used to work until the ISP blocked either the ports or the domain that Obi is using to connect to the Obi talk network.

It would be helpful to learn the IP (i already have a list of ports that Obi uses) so I can bypass the ISP. Also, any advise on how to setup forwarding to the my US based server would be helpful.

Thanks -

giqcass

I think Obitalk is hosted on a shared server.  Amazon AWS so I'm not sure if the IP addresses are dedicated.  It's common practice to use multiple shared IP addresses with cloud computing.  This increases the ability to scale services.   All that said they appeared to be using this address.  I can't say if it's current.

A VPN is the only way to ensure access in your situation.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikeHObi

Quote from: giqcass on February 04, 2014, 10:48:40 AM
I think Obitalk is hosted on a shared server.  Amazon AWS so I'm not sure if the IP addresses are dedicated.  It's common practice to use multiple shared IP addresses with cloud computing.  This increases the ability to scale services.   All that said they appeared to be using this address.  I can't say if it's current.

A VPN is the only way to ensure access in your situation.

It'll be a little more complex than that.  They do appear hosted on Amazon AWS. The route used is running through AWS network spanning 205.251.192.0 - 205.251.255.255 which I assume is routing internal for Amazon (I'm hitting 3 nodes in that network from my current location). Their WhoIs info indicates something related to roles.  It then terminates at 54.251.157.146 which is part of their network spanning  54.251.0.0 - 54.251.255.255 which is their Elastic Compute Cloud services according to their WhoIs.

I don't know if those ranges are fixed or if the are specific to specific availability zones or availability regions.

Tried a second time and went through Amazon network 72.21.192.0 - 72.21.223.255 in addition to 205.251.192.0 - 205.251.255.255.  Perhaps some sort of load balancer? 

TraceRT is interesting to look at.  us.above.net has some jacked up routes for Obitalk.com.  Takes 8 hops inside their network to get to Amazon's net, WTF?
Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

giqcass

I guess I should have said shared servers.  Multiple copies of the service could be running simultaneously all over the globe or at just one location depending on need.  Google is even toying with the idea of moving some of their servers to off shore ships.

NOTE: I only mention Google because it has a similar service that works in a similar manner. ObiHai does not appear to use the Google version of AWS(GAE) in any fashion.  

Abbas

Seems quite interesting. Seems like the ISP blocked not only blocked the Obi to the ObiTalk network but also my home ip address where I had the other Obi. Now I am very curious on how the Obi Talk network works behind the scenes and allows two Obi's to communicate with each other. Any details on it will be quite helpful.

Next step is to setup a PPTP VPN tunnel but I am sure the ISP will see that as well and eventually block it.

Bilal

I also have the same problem. If you fond any solution please let me know.

Saleemahmed

I tried connecting OBI through my L2P connection installed on the router with a USA IP and still device did not come on line. Any help guys??

giqcass

Quote from: Saleemahmed on February 08, 2014, 10:02:10 PM
I tried connecting OBI through my L2P connection installed on the router with a USA IP and still device did not come on line. Any help guys??

If the ISP is blocking only certain traffic then the traffic must be "hidden" or encrypted.

Saleemahmed

Hi
Now ISP blocked L2P also. Please can anyone give tips or ideas to help get OBI back online.

Ostracus

Depending upon your router you could use alternative firmware to use something like OpenVPN or IPSec.