News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiTALK cloud-configuration API (discussion)

Started by QBZappy, February 01, 2014, 09:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

http://blog.obihai.com/ (Dec31, 2013 obihai blolg entry)

"Innovation and Partnership
We have some exciting and important news to share with you, which we believe will further enhance the value and flexibility that comes with an OBi VoIP device.  Over the past several months, our engineers have been working on extending the OBiTALK cloud-configuration API to third-party Internet Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs).  Via this secure configuration and programming interface, Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) VoIP services will be even easier to set-up and use on Obihai products."

The "OBiTALK cloud-configuration API" has never been discussed on this forum. This looks like an obihai sanctioned way to integrate with the OBi unit without having to root it. Unfortunately I don't have the skills to do anything with this, however anybody with such skills should be aware that this API is available. This could be a neat way to develop 3rd party apps that leverage the OBi ATA. Obihai should give some more information on this API if they expect to encourage others to use it.

Since obihai is extolling this as "exciting and important news", it would seem only normal that the time, effort, and cost of development should be encouraged by discussing it here. I consider the following "our engineers have been working", obihai statement as a sign that they are making the effort to open up the future abilities of the OBi ATA to creative 3rd party development. Considering the API and WebRTC are both native in the OBi ATA, I can dream of the possibility of OBi once again having the ability to integrate with Google+ Hangouts (Google Voice). How can this OBI "WebRTC" feature be used and in what use case context.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

drgeoff

" ... our engineers have been working on extending the OBiTALK cloud-configuration API to third-party Internet Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs). ..."

I am under the impression that only a very tiny minority of the contributors to this forum fall into the category I emphasised.

QBZappy

@drgeoff

Quote from: drgeoff on February 01, 2014, 03:20:21 PM
" ... our engineers have been working on extending the OBiTALK cloud-configuration API to third-party Internet Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs). ..."

I am under the impression that only a very tiny minority of the contributors to this forum fall into the category I emphasised.

I suppose you are right about that since this is a user forum for the average consumer. I didn't expect a technical how to discussion. Despite the obihai web site having stability issues these last few days, there has been a good number of views in the short time the initial  post went up (close to 100). It gives me the impression that others may have an interest in putting their ear to the ground and speculate about what new things might be coming down the track, knowing that a door to the internal operations of the ATA has been officially provided.

Although I'm not a software/cell phone/car/(whatever) engineer, I still follow in a general manner the current state of affairs in these fields of interest. ITSPs will have the expertise to develop using the API for their proprietary uses. Note that there have been a few contributors that have developed, based on their own needs, some applications involving the use of the OBi ATA and have generously offered it to the community.

The API is obviously offered exclusively to the ITSPs which will partner with obihai. The API is obihai's way of cementing a business relationship with these partners. That is a sound business model. That's all good as long as it is a win/win for everyone. "The Internet of Everything" (IoE) is a paradigm some are adhering to in order to put everything on the internet. Whether you love it or hate it you will see it as either an opportunity or challenge. The obihai configuration panel, and the new API further entrenches the OBi device in the world of the IoE. Everything seems to be geared towards web based control of this OBI communication device.

My main point of interest is how an ATA which offers both an API+WebRTC can be used. I can think of some common use cases which can make the OBI ATA indispensable in creating social and business links with people all around the planet. A simple use case I think might be possible to achieve with this product is to simply embed a link/widget in an email to organize a voice or video call one->one/many. We are well versed in the bridging abilities of the product. For the price, I don't see anything better out there that be used as a communications gateway incorporating the following services, voip/pots/OBiTALK/WebRTC. I'm expecting this API to give us the ability to connect these various services and allow users at any level of tech skill to use the product as a gateway. What I don't see at the moment, is any way whether easy or difficult to use the WebRTC other than the using the big green "Call OBi" on the portal. This limits the value of this feature. Many users on this forum have demonstrated time and again their ingenuity by squeezing every last cent of value out of this unit by adapting dial plans and other things. I would like to see the tools offered to me in order to do what I want, better yet, I would like to see some creativity in the application of these features. Kudos to the obihai engineers for figuring out how to do these things. The value in discovery is always in the applications.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

I suspect the API will require an API key as well as a URL that the OBi will post data to. Whether or not we can make use of this api will depend on whether Obi is willing to allow greater access to it.  Many companies do allow access to anyone that wants to give it a try.   I previously used the API from Peek inc to directly communicate with that device and I created some applications for personal use.  I would like to see what's under the hood so far as this new api is concerned.  I plan to see what I can find out but information seems quite limited so far.  Perhaps a direct communication with them will help.
Long live our new ObiLords!

QBZappy

The following site features a WebRTC conference web app which I think might be possible using the OBi.

The description of the appear.in web app mirrors somewhat the ability of the OBi (except for the video part). When video is not needed the OBi could be a nice audio conference room. Not certain if video is possible using a softphone or ip phone with a video screen. At the moment I don't know what the limitation is on the number of concurrent callers.

( https://appear.in/ )
"How it works
No login or downloads

appear.in aims to make it super-easy to start talking over video. Therefore, we do not require you to register an account or download anything. The link to your room is all you need to connect to those you want to talk to. All you need is yourself, someone to talk to and a supported browser.
Easy to invite anyone

You can create a room whenever you want to, and use any room name. In fact, you don't even have to visit our front page, you can just type in 'appear.in/roomname' in the address bar in your browser, and you'll enter directly into the room! Anyone who enters the same room link as you, will come into your room.
Peer-to-peer

appear.in uses peer-to-peer communication, meaning that the video streams are sent directly between you and the people you are talking to. Nothing is stored on our server and all the communication is encrypted over SSL."

Here is a review:
http://www.redferret.net/?p=42591
Appear.in – free video conversations with up to 8 people, no login, no install

As we can see others are moving in this direction. Obihai has a head start in embedding WebRTC with hardware. In my opinion, this would be the killer app to replace the former killer app of GV integration. If obihai is looking for another unique product feature to add value and interest in their product, this might just hit that sweet spot.