News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Free Canadian DID's

Started by Hortoristic, February 26, 2014, 02:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

Anybody know of any free DID's providers in Canada?

Currently my daughter can dial the SIPBROKER local PSTN in Canada then the special sequence to call my Callcentric number - but it's a lot of numbers.

If I could get a Canadian version of IPKALL or free Callcentric, it would help.

hwittenb

IPKall is free because as a rural company they have a high intercarrier termination fee that carriers must pay and they wish to generate traffic.  CallCentric is offering the free numbers to promote their paid service.

In the not free catagory you find companies with relatively inexpensive Canadian DID's.  

For example, Anveo offers "Personal Unlimited" Canadian DID's for $2.00 / month with no setup fee.  If you wish you can forward that DID to your CallCentric account.  Anveo is prepaid with the minimum deposit $20.00.

Voip.ms has Canadian flat rate DID's starting at $4.95 / month or pay per minute DID's starting at 99c / month plus 1c per minute.  If you wish you can forward these DID's to your CallCentric account.  Voip.ms is prepaid with the minimum deposit $25.00.

azrobert

You can setup a sub-account for her on Callcentric.
She can connect to Callcentric with a softphone on a smartphone or computer and call your extension.
Or you can buy her a cheap IP phone.

Lavarock7

Voip.Ms may be as cheap as 99 cents per month for a number, depending upon exchange and perhaps a penny and a half per minute. You could set up an extension and connect to an adapter in the states.

If the Canadian has high speed internet, you wouldn't need a DID, and then no fees would be involved if both their device and yours are in the same account.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Robert.Thompson

If she had an Obi too, you could call each other, Obi to Obi, for free!

I believe that she could even place calls on your Obi/Callcentric system as well.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

giqcass

Quote from: Hortoristic on February 26, 2014, 02:35:16 PM

Currently my daughter can dial the SIPBROKER local PSTN in Canada then the special sequence to call my Callcentric number - but it's a lot of numbers.

Check out e164.org in my signature.  If she uses Sipbroker to call you it will greatly simplify the dial string.  After you register with e164.org and link your number to your sip address she can call the sipbroker gateway then enter your real phone number.  No extra * or strange prefixes.

I also recommend she save the sipbroker gateway with your number as a single contact by putting one or two pauses between the two.  Most phones and cell phones let you do that.  The it's 1 click to call.
Long live our new ObiLords!

giqcass

I have been thinking and the absolute cheapest solution that allows a free incoming DID is localphone.  Add a free Inum to your Callcentric account if you don't have one already.  Set up a free Localphone account for your daughter.  Add her phone numbers to the localphone account.  Any number she might call you from.  These will need to be verified.  Create a contact in her localphone account using your Callcentric Inum.  Change "your local numbers"  in her Localphone account to Canada and pick an area that is free for her to call. 

Under the contacts a Canadian number will show up next to your Callcentric Inum.  The cost of the call is 0.00.
The catch is she can only call you using a phone that has been registered in her localphone account.  Incoming calls to that number with Caller Id that does not match her registered numbers will not ring your phone.  These numbers are shared among many users which is why they use incoming caller ID to figure out the destination.

giqcass

One last idea.  Do you have free calling to Canada?  If so you could set her up to use the Obi callback feature.

corporate_gadfly

Found switch2voip.us with a google search. No affiliation and never tried it. Let us know how it works.

If you are willing to fork over CAD 50, freephoneline will give you lifetime SIP credentials.

giqcass

Quote from: corporate_gadfly on March 03, 2014, 07:50:40 AM
Found switch2voip.us with a google search. No affiliation and never tried it. Let us know how it works.

If you are willing to fork over CAD 50, freephoneline will give you lifetime SIP credentials.
Good find!  I didn't think free Canadian DIDs existed.  It looks like they require a minimum $25 deposit to open an account though.  The catch is they charge for incoming calls I think.  Freephoneline was the only one I could find.

QBZappy

Very cheap, but not free to use ($25 to open an account?). Sounds interesting:

http://switch2voip.us/index.php/2012-07-04-20-11-33/international-did-s

Free USA or Canada Virtual Phone Number
You can order a FREE virtual phone number from any state in the USA or Canada and you can use it for personal or business purposes.

Price
Monthly Fee   $0.00
Setup Fee   $0.00
USA Outgoing Calls/Minute   0.008
USA Incoming Calls/Minute    0.01
Canada Outgoing Calls/Minute   0.0045
Canada Incoming Calls/Minute    0.0045
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

giqcass

It looks to me like http://freephoneline.ca/ wins for anyone that expects a lot of calls.  Higher upfront cost but cheaper in the long run.  

This review was FUNNY!  It would be startling to wake up to a stranger talking to you.  Sounds like a software glitch so it's not a problem for someone using it on an Obi.

Quote from: hiddenbyrequest link=http://www.dslreports.com/comments/3520 date=1352892537
Good "Service is 100% free (unless you want to call outside Canada), relatively easy to use"
Bad "Major privacy breaches; strangers can port your computer and listen to you without you accepting their calls"
Overall "I would not recommend this service to anyone"
   Web-site:
Ease of Installation:
Call Quality:
Reliability:
Tech Support:
Value for money:

I am providing this review based on my personal experience with FreePhoneLine.ca, which is greatly mixed.

If you're looking for a free phone line, this company truly offers it. For the most part it is user friendly, with good call quality. Some calls would get choppy now and then, but would fix themselves after a few minutes.

My biggest concern relates to privacy and is why I would not recommend them, ever.

I had left the application open to receive calls as anyone would normally do as it acts as a phone line this way. At 5:45 in the morning, I heard a voice coming from my computer next to me saying, "Hello? Is anyone there?". I immediately popped up the app to figure out what was going on, and noticed that a call had become active automatically from a stranger. This stranger was listening into my home for over 10 minutes before they said anything. It was not only the scariest thing ever that has happened to me on a computer, but it was also a complete invasion of my privacy. I immediately quit the application to end the call, and deleted it in fear of a hacker continuing to use it to access my computer through the vulnerability of the software. Do not get this application for that reason alone.

giqcass

Still not a free DID but Voxox appears to offer Google Voice like services.  Outbound calls and SMS cost but inbound is free and it will forward to multiple phones.  They give you a free US DID.  You can buy a Canadian DID for $19.95 USD yearly. 

Koby

If it's a low-usage situation you might be able to use Tropo - I bookmarked an article, "One way you might not have considered to get a DID for incoming Google Voice calls" several months back, but don't know if the procedure described there still works, but Tropo does have Canadian DID's.  I think that now Tropo shows a price next to each DID but as long as you qualify for a developer account you are not charged that, or at least that was the situation when I was playing around a bit with it.

EDIT: Mixed up responses to different threads. :(  Fixed now.

giqcass

This does not solve your free Canadian DID problem however I thought you might be interested in this cell phone company I just heard about.  The reason I thought you might find it interesting is they offer a cool service called "Call me free".  It works similar to the Sipbroker setup where they provide local access numbers. An IVR answers and it prompts you to enter the cell phone number of the person you want to call.  It allows people to call your cell phone from all over the world as a local call.  It runs on the T mobile network and they have pretty good rates if you live in an area where T mobile has good coverage.

www.ultra.me 
Sim cards are available on Amazon for $0.01 shipped and work with most unlocked GSM phones.

giqcass

Quote from: Koby on March 04, 2014, 01:31:48 PM

If it's a low-usage situation you might be able to use Tropo - I bookmarked an article, "One way you might not have considered to get a DID for incoming Google Voice calls" several months back, but don't know if the procedure described there still works, but Tropo does have Canadian DID's.  I think that now Tropo shows a price next to each DID but as long as you qualify for a developer account you are not charged that, or at least that was the situation when I was playing around a bit with it.

EDIT: Mixed up responses to different threads. :(  Fixed now.

I looked at Tropo and it is built on the Voxeo system.  I have been using Voxeo for quite a while now and it's reliable.  The primary difference is Tropo makes thing simpler and I don't think Voxeo has Canadian DIDs for the developer accounts which is a real plus for them.  I think there is a 60 minute time limit on the duration of Voxeo calls so Tropo probably has a similar limit.  You can of course just redial the call if you want to talk longer.

giqcass

Yes I know this post is really old ;)  I thought I would keep it all together though.

This still isn't a free Canadian DID but this is the closest I have come.  There is an app available to anyone for $1.99 and you get a free Canadian DID with it.  This includes free inbound calls and free outbound calls to many locations in Canada.  I don't have a way to directly connect it to an Obi just yet.  This is from the same people that run freephoneline.ca.  Perhaps they will allow us to buy the unlock code at some point for use with an ATA.
http://www.fongo.com/world/

xiaonvren

If so you could set her up to use the Obi callback feature.