News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

3.0.1 (4303) Can No Longer Receive Calls

Started by IrwinFamily, February 27, 2014, 11:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHObi

Quote from: gderf on March 02, 2014, 03:31:19 PM
Quote from: MikeHObi on March 02, 2014, 03:29:55 PM
upgraded my 202.  Working fine for incoming and outgoing.  Is currently using GV for both the incoming and outgoing due to the GV issues with fowarding through providers like Anveo and Callcentric.

There was never a firmware problem with GV for outgoing or incoming.

Just confirmed problem when using either Anveo or Call centric forwarding.  Note when I check the webpage to find the X_EnforceRequestUserID thing to disable, it is currently disabled, so that tells me the Obi is not obeying what it is being told regarding that flag.

sigh... obi, it's called quality control.   I wonder if they are jacking with this just to make providers scramble like GV has made Obi scramble.

Syslogs show:
Dial GV number, it fowards to CallCentric and the obi does:

SIP DLG reject: 486
RTP:Del Channel

Obi202 user & Obi100 using Anveo and Callcentric.

MikeHObi

This type of problem has me thinking Obi will be Dead to me.  Sorry folks, but your inability to follow any sort of even have standards of quality control has me wondering were the future is for the company.  Between the lack of response, and the faulty firmware seems to indicate a lack of ready for prime time behavior.

IrwinFamily

Quote from: Mango on March 02, 2014, 09:09:39 AM
They locked the other thread because it was a duplicate of this one.  We can still post here.

Give downgrading a try and let us know how it works.

http://www.obihai.com/firmware/OBi202-3-0-1-4269.fw

I see OBI released an updated firmware to resolve this issue. Sadly, it did not.  :(
HOWEVER... Downgrading the firmware DID WORK!  :D
THANK YOU Mango!!!!!

Mango

My pleasure; in fact I received the link from iamhere at the DSLR forum.  Thanks for testing the updated firmware.  I don't have an OBi202 so have just been sitting here watching the fun.

giqcass

This is why I keep copies of old firmware.  I have quite a collection now.
Long live our new ObiLords!

Obbi202

I would really have appreciated an e-mail notification when you screw-up on firmware update like that....That's what I would call - taking care of your customers !!!! I did miss many important calls just because of you.....Thanks again for your good sens of business

giqcass

Quote from: Obbi202 on March 02, 2014, 09:25:55 PM
I would really have appreciated an e-mail notification when you screw-up on firmware update like that....That's what I would call - taking care of your customers !!!! I did miss many important calls just because of you.....Thanks again for your good sens of business
Welcome to the forum.  Please be aware most of us do not work for Obihai and Obihai rarely posts on this forum.  Most of us are customers like you that enjoy helping others.  If you have a serious issue that needs to be fixed you can open a support ticket.  I agree with you this was a pretty big error that caused a lot of grief but all companies make mistakes occasionally when it comes to software updates.  The feature they added to the last update was a highly requested feature.  It's unfortunate that it caused so many people problems.
Long live our new ObiLords!

MikeHObi

Quote from: giqcass on March 02, 2014, 10:10:58 PMThe feature they added to the last update was a highly requested feature.  It's unfortunate that it caused so many people problems.

#1 - and it was so highly requested that it didn't work when it was released?
#2 - Where is the roadmap for the obi products and where would this feature indicate high requests?
#3 - Where are the release notes for the firmware version where they might even indicate a possible problem with a default configuration setting they enabled.

Do they yet have a updated firmware that actually works?

Mango

So far, we have seen anecdotal reports of:

1) People who had problems after updating the firmware, and had to reset/reconfigure their device to make it work.
2) People who had problems, but had to disable the new feature, even though they use a compatible service provider.
3) People who had problems, and had to downgrade, because both 1) and 2) didn't work.
4) People who reported the new feature works properly.

This diverse array of behaviour is astonishing.

carl

Quote from: Mango on March 03, 2014, 07:29:02 AM
So far, we have seen anecdotal reports of:

1) People who had problems after updating the firmware, and had to reset/reconfigure their device to make it work.
2) People who had problems, but had to disable the new feature, even though they use a compatible service provider.
3) People who had problems, and had to downgrade, because both 1) and 2) didn't work.
4) People who reported the new feature works properly.

This diverse array of behaviour is astonishing.

There is an additional one: 5.Where Obihai had to make some undisclosed adjustment to the standard incoming call routing in order to make it work for incoming calls.
and a possible 6. that the device was fried after the upgrade beyond fix - something we will find out in less than 48 hours.

Mango

I suspect you've accidentally configured something incorrectly that's preventing you from making outgoing calls.  I'm fairly certain your hardware is still functional, and when configured correctly, things will work properly again.

carl

Quote from: Mango on March 03, 2014, 09:20:49 AM
I suspect you've accidentally configured something incorrectly that's preventing you from making outgoing calls.  I'm fairly certain your hardware is still functional, and when configured correctly, things will work properly again.

I doubt that, not because of my questionable abilities but because only my Localphone digitmap is custom and I copied it exactly but because my Callcentric settings are were basic , I double checked everything from their web site and used both the digitmap from the portal and alternatively the digitmap Callcentric recomends for Obi 202.
The only thing I can do if Obihai doess not get back to me- and they are not responding- is to do a complete factory reset again and then configure , as Ron advised, the device without registering on the portal. At the danger that whatever undisclosed changes they made to the incoming call routing in order to make it work on my device goes away and I will be stuck with no service at all.
As said, we will now soon. ::)

gderf

Delete your OBi from the portal.
Download a copy of the 3.0.1 (4269) firmware.
Reset your OBi to factory defaults using a paper clip.
Install the 3.0.1 (4269) firmware.
If you want your OBi on the OBiTALK portal, add it.
Reconfigure your OBi from scratch. Don't use a backed up configuration, it may be corrupted.

Until you have done the above steps, it's likely that you will not get it working properly again.

If you'd rather wait for OBihai to suggest a similar approach, feel free to do so.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

carl

Quote from: gderf on March 03, 2014, 10:03:04 AM
Delete your OBi from the portal.
Download a copy of the 3.0.1 (4269) firmware.
Reset your OBi to factory defaults using a paper clip.
Install the 3.0.1 (4269) firmware.
If you want your OBi on the OBiTALK portal, add it.
Reconfigure your OBi from scratch. Don't use a backed up configuration, it may be corrupted.

Until you have done the above steps, it's likely that you will not get it working properly again.

If you'd rather wait for OBihai to suggest a similar approach, feel free to do so.

I did all of the above. And as I said, The Callcentric configuration was rock bottom basic.
I will have to repeat it without the portal though once I get some more time to do it.

CLTGreg

The lack of release notes is flabbergasting. It's the exact opposite of how cool and modern the product is. I think they should participate in the forum too because of the one to many benefit to owners.

But surely the changes for firmware are written down somewhere. Why not share it?

In the meantime, thanks to all the early adopters. I'm not one of them but someone needs to be willing to sacrifice.

gderf

If you have a bad configuration on the portal it will be pushed into you OBi rendering it inoperable all over again.

Also disable automatic firmware upgrading capability.

carl

Quote from: gderf on March 03, 2014, 10:09:44 AM
If you have a bad configuration on the portal it will be pushed into you OBi rendering it inoperable all over again.

Also disable automatic firmware upgrading capability.

That I was already advised to do and I changed that so it will hopefully not happen next time i do the reset. That's essentially the whole point of repeating it.

gderf

The factory default setting for automatic firmware updating is enabled. If you don't disable this after resetting it, the latest build will applied sooner or later. That one doesn't work for me either.

You shouldn't even expose the OBi to the internet until this is disabled.

Mango

Guys, remember that OBiTALK can update your firmware automatically, even if Automatic Firmware Update is disabled.

carl

Quote from: gderf on March 03, 2014, 10:27:31 AM
The factory default setting for automatic firmware updating is enabled. If you don't disable this after resetting it, the latest build will applied sooner or later. That one doesn't work for me either.

You shouldn't even expose the OBi to the internet until this is disabled.

Thanks for the tip. I really have to check the default values on the things i disabled.