News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help setting up SP2 w/ SP1=Vestalink

Started by dmd1, March 01, 2014, 12:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmd1

I have Obi100 which only has two SP's. Signed up with Vestalink (Obivoice) and used the auto set-up. Everything's working with Vestalink and I read somewhere that with auto set-up Vestalink will use the SP1 although ObiTalk dashboard shows that SP1 "Not Configured".
I am trying to manually set up SP2 as back-up. Toggle between Google Voice and CallCentric but neither one works. Status on ObiTalk dashboard shows "Service Not Configured".
Please help!

giqcass

If you use the Vestalink auto setup you can no longer use the Obitalk portal with your Obi.  The only way to add an SP now is by connecting directly to your Obi by typing in it's local IP address.
Long live our new ObiLords!

ceg3

One thing you can try to be able to use SP2 in your OBi100 is to completely delete your device from OBiTALK and reinstall it.  Doing that will not affect your easy setup with Vestalink.  Running the auto setup tool does mean that SP1 is dedicated to Vestalink.  I do know that before you can again manually configure your OBi for Vestalink, after having run the easy setup tool, you have to reinstall your OBi in OBiTALK.  I have setup my OBi with Vestalink both manually and by running the easy setup too, but have not tried to configure SP2 with either setup in place, so I'm only offering this as a suggestion to try.  The code ***81 resets your OBi to factory and running it before beginning to setup either way is a good place to start.

dmd1

Thank you all for suggestions.
I tried setting up Vestalink manually many times and the results were "Service Not Configured". So I gave up and used Easy Setup Tool. I did reset Obi100 (***81) each time.

dmd1

Quote from: giqcass on March 01, 2014, 07:13:47 PM
If you use the Vestalink auto setup you can no longer use the Obitalk portal with your Obi.  The only way to add an SP now is by connecting directly to your Obi by typing in it's local IP address.

Followed your advice, using local IP address, I was able to setup Google Voice on SP2. For now, I can use both Vestalink number and Google Voice number. After May 15th, I'll put CallCentric on SP2 for backup.

This is the link that helped me to figure it out: http://blog.voipdiy.com/2013/07/freephonelineca-google-voice-and-obi100.html

Thanks.

harpua

Btw, I thought I should mention that the obitalk portal showing "service not configured" after you manually set up vestalink as one of your providers does not necessarily mean the vestalink configuration isn't working or isn't set up properly.  My manual Vestalink setup in obitalk also says service not configured and yet it is working perfectly well so far for both outgoing and incoming calls.

dircom

I manually set up Obivoice, and it says registered

giqcass

Quote from: harpua on March 06, 2014, 08:29:19 PM
Btw, I thought I should mention that the obitalk portal showing "service not configured" after you manually set up vestalink as one of your providers does not necessarily mean the vestalink configuration isn't working or isn't set up properly.  My manual Vestalink setup in obitalk also says service not configured and yet it is working perfectly well so far for both outgoing and incoming calls.
Quote from: dircom on March 07, 2014, 09:17:36 AM
I manually set up Obivoice, and it says registered

(This is a little bit of guesswork)
I think the difference between dircom and harpua may have something to do with harpua previously using the Vestalink automated setup.  That would have caused a disconnect between the Obi and the Obitalk portal.  Even a paperclip reset might have caused the disconnect.  To get them in sync again harpua would have to delete the Obi from the portal and add it back.  That might cause a loss of settings but I think Obihai fixed the portal to respect changes made directly on the device. 

dircom

Thread hijack !
Quote from: giqcass on March 07, 2014, 02:54:46 PM
(This is a little bit of guesswork)
sounds reasonable

For the last year or two, I just setup my 4 Obi's using Obitalk, and Speed dials are all I have done beyond that.
I read the digit map stuff with amusement and amazement :)
(I did install the Obi app, and 3cx softphone on a laptop for traveling, and that works great)

perhaps after GV outgoing quits working, I might need to learn more, since only one of the Obi's is using a paid service for now.  
When my wife is at a summer home, can we both share the same provider (Vestalink) for outbound?  Obviously she could dial Obi to Obi, and then outbound, but her sister and friends would be confused about that setup.

giqcass

Quote from: dircom on March 07, 2014, 03:20:49 PM
When my wife is at a summer home, can we both share the same provider (Vestalink) for outbound?  Obviously she could dial Obi to Obi, and then outbound, but her sister and friends would be confused about that setup.

My testing about a month ago suggest that should work fine but remember there are only 2 channels if both are being used additional inbound / outbound calls will fail.

dircom

so if we provisioned a 200 or 202 at each house
and found ourselves in separate locations,
we could both use some of our GV -> IPCOMMS / CCDID accounts for inbound
and still use one Vestalink channel each for outbound?

and obviously we could also use Obitalk network to call each other

btw, I never knew this trick, great for in home intercom!
Quote from: giqcass on March 01, 2014, 06:47:09 PM
Press # on the phone.  How is that for an easier way?  :)

giqcass

As long as they didn't change anything since I tested their service that should all work.  Pressing # is for the 202 models only because they have 2 phone ports.  On the 110 it connects you to the line port.  ## connects you to your obiline on the20x series if you have it installed.