News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 Flood The LAN and Bring My Network DOWN

Started by ForObiBis, December 20, 2012, 10:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForObiBis

Hi,

My Obi110 often flooded the local area network and and bring the whole network down.  :( :( :(

I have had this issue on/off since I got the Obi110 last year and set it up with a google voice account. I have the Obi110 connected to a WRT54G router via an Ethernet cable. Once in a while I would found that my other computers in the network could not access any internet because Obi110 has its internet LED (Green) constantly flashing. The way to solve the problems is: 1) Turn off Obi110 completely or 2) Reboot Obi110.  Note: I just need to turn off or reboot OBI110 without touch the router then my network would come back so it is definitely a problem with the Obi. After Reboot Obi110 would be Ok for a while until this happen again.

I have seen similar topic discussed in the forum here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2684.0
  "my obi110 is crazy, internet led flashing and make home network down"

*) I tried the solution from the above post. "to change ethernet port from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full duplex" but the problem STILL occurs. 

*) I always have my OBI110 updated to the latest firmware.

*) This happens without obvious triggers when OBI110 in idle mode.

This is really annoying since I need my internet up all the time and need OBI to making calls.

Is this a known issues? Is this a hardware issue? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks!

Rick

ForObiBis

Ad_Hominem

Yes, this happened to me today. 

I was using my network as usual and all of the sudden everything stopped.  I couldn't ping my router, my internal cameras, anything on the internet, and even the IP phone that was connected to my computer.  I went through a diagnostic process of unplugging each item on my network separately, and found that when I disconnected the Obi from the network, connectivity was restored.

When I powered off the Obi and powered it back up, the problem was solved.

I was running firmware 2711.  I've just now updated 2765.

Ad_Hominem

By any chance, do you have a cordless telephone or other radio transmitting device, i.e., wifi transmitter, data card, etc., near your Obi 110 when this happened?

Transmitters like this are often responsible for malfunctions in electronic equipment.  My Obi worked just fine since I bought it (shortly after they were released), and I just happened to have relocated my cordless phone so that they were right next to one another.  I've moved it further away to see if it makes a difference...

ForObibi

Ok this happened AGAIN a few time last weekend. It happened most often after a router power cycle.

- Obi110 has its internet LED (Green) constantly flashing.
- The whole network connection is down until I DISCONNECT OBI110.

I have to do a factory reset on OBI110 and reconfigure GV in the obitalk to temporarily fix it for a short time, till it happen again.

I CAN NOT have a bad network device like OBI110 to bring down my network unexpectedly once in a while. This is a bad stability problem. This is really annoying. I am considering throw obi110 unless there is a good solution.

I have advanced technical knowledge. I tried all the advices in the forum but this problem kept on coming back. Here are the thread I found with similar issues.  

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3676.0
  "Data Activity LED is constantly blinking green "

So this is obviously a known stability issue.
Why is OBI so silent and not addressing this?

Thanks

Rick

As you were told by me in December, fill out a ticket with OBi on the OBitalk site.  Or do online chat.

OBi does NOT respond to the forum.

Shale

It's hard to see how your OBi, even presuming a malfunction, could have flooded your LAN with traffic when it was set for 10Mb half duplex, unless your router runs everything at 10 Mb if any one device is 10 Mb.

In any case, you might try telling the router to always give the same IP to your OBi. Alternatively you could program your OBi to use a static address that is within your LAN subnet and not within the range of addresses handed by DHCP. Setting up static IP in the OBi could be tricky, but maybe not.

ForObibi

Quote from: Rick on September 04, 2013, 09:50:38 AM
As you were told by me in December, fill out a ticket with OBi on the OBitalk site.  Or do online chat.

Thanks for your reply. Back in Dec last year, I TRIED support on the Obitalk. The solution they give is just reset everything and re-register Obi on obitalk. The issue happened again. You can read the related thread attached above. I tried everything suggested there. I tried all these but still see this issue after a while especially after a router reboot.

Ooma attached to the same network does not show any issues!!

ForObibi

By the way, based on all the similar topics in the forum, I am quite sure OBI knows about this issue, however i speculate not willing to disclose the reasons.

Rick

Quote from: ForObibi on September 04, 2013, 10:23:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. Back in Dec last year, I TRIED support on the Obitalk. The solution they give is just reset everything and re-register Obi on obitalk. The issue happened again. You can read the related thread attached above. I tried everything suggested there. I tried all these but still see this issue after a while especially after a router reboot.

That's great.  The point is you can post all day long here and OBi is not going to respond.  Either deal with them, or toss your device - but complaining to fellow customers that OBi doesn't respond to posts is silly.

ForObibi

Quote from: Rick on September 04, 2013, 10:37:09 AM
Quote from: ForObibi on September 04, 2013, 10:23:01 AM

That's great.  The point is you can post all day long here and OBi is not going to respond.  Either deal with them, or toss your device - but complaining to fellow customers that OBi doesn't respond to posts is silly.

I am sure Obihai monitors this forum. Even maybe they do not officially reply. My post is to make sure Obihai and Obihai customers aware of customer experience and know about issues. I am actually here to help Obi to improve their product.

I like Obi as a product but to compete well and grow the company, recurring product stability issues need to be addressed.

RFord

I have the OBi110 for over two years and have not had any issues.  Maybe the problem is germane to your network.  I have a WRT54G-TM, with DD-DWRT firmware.  Maybe you should try a different Router.  You say the problem mostly occur when you power cycle the Router.  The WRT54G is really a basic router with minimal RAM.  I would suggest flashing that Router with DD-DWRT or replacing it all together.  Alternatively, disconnect the OBi110 from the Router before power cycling and power up and wait for it to fully synch before attaching the OBi110.

If the issue was with the OBi110, there would be thousands of posts relating to this issue.  I think you are an alarmist!

ForObibi

Quote from: RFord on September 04, 2013, 03:11:04 PM
I have the OBi110 for over two years and have not had any issues.  Maybe the problem is germane to your network.  I have a WRT54G-TM, with DD-DWRT firmware.  Maybe you should try a different Router.  You say the problem mostly occur when you power cycle the Router.  The WRT54G is really a basic router with minimal RAM.  I would suggest flashing that Router with DD-DWRT or replacing it all together.  Alternatively, disconnect the OBi110 from the Router before power cycling and power up and wait for it to fully synch before attaching the OBi110.

If the issue was with the OBi110, there would be thousands of posts relating to this issue.  I think you are an alarmist!

Interesting I got called alarmist by simply stating out the facts. Maybe you have been very lucky with your Obi110 that did not have such problem but it does not help to say based on your experience the issue does not exist in thousands other Obi110 units.

By the way, WRT54G-TM is just a re-branded version of WRT54GS not that much different from WRT54G in hardware. Some version of WRT54G uses the same Broadcom BCM5352 chip set. WRT54G is probably one of the most stable and popular WIFI router one can find in use today.

I would also like to pointing out similar issues reported under these thread.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4839.0
  "Obi110 Flood The LAN and Bring My Network DOWN"

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3676.0
   "Data Activity LED is constantly blinking green "

ForObibi

Everton

ForObibi:

Could you try a couple of things to test to see what is going on?  Try these individually.

1.  Give the OBi110 a Static IP address outside of your DHCP range...let say 192.168.1.160 if the range is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.150.  Also, set your DNS.  The setup would look something like this:

AddressingType = Static
IPAddress   = 192.168.1.160
SubnetMask = 255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway = 192.168.1.1

DNSServer1 = 8.8.4.4
DNSServer2 = 4.2.2.2

2. Disconnect all the other LAN devices and have only the OBi110 attached to your Router and then test by rebooting the Router with only the OBi110 attached to the LAN port.

3.  Attached the OBi110 to the Modem, then reboot the modem and test.

4.  Borrow another VOIP friendly Router from a friend or from Walmart (  ;D  ) and test to see if you get the same results.

Have you updated the OBi110 to the latest Firmware that was released a few days ago (1.3.0 (Build: 2824)?

Ad_Hominem

It definitely DOES happen.  I own FOUR OBi 110s, in two different locations (800 miles away from each other), and all of them have experienced this problem at various times.  The problem is more common when the device is located near a Wifi or Cordless phone, but it just happened to me again today with a device that was nowhere near such devices...

Quote from: Shale on September 04, 2013, 10:06:29 AM
It's hard to see how your OBi, even presuming a malfunction, could have flooded your LAN with traffic when it was set for 10Mb half duplex, unless your router runs everything at 10 Mb if any one device is 10 Mb.

In any case, you might try telling the router to always give the same IP to your OBi. Alternatively you could program your OBi to use a static address that is within your LAN subnet and not within the range of addresses handed by DHCP. Setting up static IP in the OBi could be tricky, but maybe not.

ericab

you mentioned in an earlier reply that "[you] have advanced technical knowledge."

if that's the case, i would recommend sniffing the IP traffic with wireshark, and post a link to the log it captures here; that way we can get to the root cause of the packet flood.