News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Connect to a OBi110 in office from home

Started by Colleen, February 20, 2014, 12:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colleen

I am relatively new ( and not a IT guy) and currently have a obi100 using GV for my office phone. With GV going away, I want to use my Comcast line for dial tone. I also want to have a phone (without  a separate phone number) in my home simultaneously ring on incoming calls and also hook to the Comcast line in my office for outbound calls. Reading the forum i think i follow how to use the OBITalk network and cause a phone hooked up to a OBi 100/110/200/202 device at home to ring on inbound calls. I also  think i understand how to set up single stage dialing from the phone on the OBI device  at home to connect with the OBi110 at the office.   My questions are:

First, am I correct that using OBITalk servers I can enable simultaneous ring at home and use of the office Comcast line as a single stage dial ( i.e., just dilating the 10 digit number from my home phone)?

Second, is there a way using a SIP phone like a Cisco 300 series at home to tie directly into the OBi110 at the office w/o going through the OBiTalk servers. ( I'm assuming each has an IP address that could be specified?)  If so would this improve quality and responsiveness as it cuts out the path through the OBiTalk servers? If this is possible can you point me to some info discussing this.

Third , Is there an even better way to achieve simultaneous ring and dial out to a PTSN office line from a home phone?

Thanks in advance

azrobert

First - The answer is yes. Very easy to do.

Second - An IP phone normally registers to a server. You cannot register an IP phone to an OBi110.
If your IP phone can make outbound calls without registration, you can point it directly to the OBi110 for outbound calls. You might have audio problems (like one way audio) that will require some tweaking of parms. At minimum in you router you will have to port forward the OBi110 SP port and RTP ports. You will have to figure out something for inbound calls. Does your IP phone support 2 servers?

You can use another service like PBXes.org or Yate server to solve all these problems.
see: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5411.0

Third- You can point the home OBi directly to the OBi110 bypassing the OBiTalk server, but you will have the same problems as the IP phone.

Edit:
Below is an example setup for an IP phone. This setup has the OBi and the IP phone on the same LAN. You would route incoming calls to your home's public IP address and do some port forwarding in your router. Outbound calls routed to the work's public address.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6865.0

azrobert

Below is an example of routing calls to a remote OBi using the OBitalk server. This example routes calls out SP1 on the remote OBi. You would change it to route calls out the Line port.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=7260.0

Colleen

:) azrobert  Thank you! I think I have hang of it.

I ended up forking incoming calls to remote OBI device using Obitalk server and it works! I also used the prepend on outbound calls from remote Obi devices to get immediate dial tone via ObiTalk .

Here is an additional challenge that i have: I use the Office Obi202 for a voice line (Sp1) and a dedicated fax( Sp2). I want to have the home Obi 100 automatically get to the Office Obi202 Sp1 for dial out and the home Obi202 ph2 port which has a fax on it to automatically get to the Office Obi202 Sp2 for dial out.

I have the home Obis automatically using Obitalk to get to the Office Obi202 but need to know how to set up an incoming rule on Office Obi202 to direct to SP1 or Sp2 based on the ID of the home OBi device calling in. Can you point me to a post discussing this type of rule for an Obi device to set up separate routes for calls from each calling  Obi devices. 

Thank you in advance!

azrobert

Home OBi100

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port -> OutboundCallRoute:
{<ob200333333*>(1xxxxxxxxxx):pp},.......your current rules.........

Home OBi202

Physical Interfaces -> Phone Port2 -> OutboundCallRoute:
{<ob200333333*>(1xxxxxxxxxx):pp},.......your current rules.........

Office OBi202

Voice Services-> ObiTalk Service -> InboundCallRoute:
{200111111>(1xxxxxxxxxx):sp1},{200222222>(1xxxxxxxxxx):sp2},.......your current rules.........

I'm only checking for 11 digit dialed numbers.
200111111 is the OBi number of the Home OBi100
200222222 is the OBi number of the Home OBi202
200333333 is the OBi number of the Office OBi202

Fax using VOIP is not always reliable. You are adding another hop, so you might have problems.

azrobert

I just answered another poster with a similar question as yours.
The light bulb came on and I thought of a possible better solution.

Most providers allow multiple registrations.
You can try defining the same Provider on the second OBi and route the calls directly to that provider.
If you don't want inbound calls routed to the second OBi leave the Provider unregistered.